snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Police Blotter » Mom leaves child in car, shops with dog (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mom leaves child in car, shops with dog
ASL
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASL   E-mail ASL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by Cactus Wren:
No, sweetie, just hold out until summer. Then leave the kid in the car for an afternoon and say you "forgot". He'll be out of your hair once and for all, and you'll be off the hook completely, with everyone sympathetically patting your arm and murmuring about how tragic it is and that you've been "punished enough".

We've discussed the cases you allude to before, and there is a huge difference between them and this woman's deliberate choice to leave her child in the car.
Wait, stop. I just have to resurrect this thread in the hopes of getting resolution on this. How is this different? Because there's no dead baby? How does the fact that the child DIED make it less of a crime? If anything, it makes it MORE of a crime. Are you insinuating that, in all those cases of dead babies, the mothers didn't make a deliberate choice to leave their child in the car? That they maybe just forgot the kid sitting next to them as they proceeded to spend 2 hours shopping on a lovely summer day as their child fried to death in its seat? They all made deliberate choices. The only difference is, this woman came back in half an hour instead of two, it was cold outside, and the child didn't die.

--------------------
"Dear Lord, please protect this rockethouse and all who dwell within..."

Posts: 1093 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ASL,

Are you contending that in ANY situation where a child dies, a crime has necessarily been committed? Those cases of babies dying in cars in summer run the gamut. Some involve parents who made truly horrendous decisions and were truly negligent and some involve parents whose little memory lapse resulted in a tragedy.

Have you ever had a baby in the car with you? Your mention of "next to them" makes me wonder. Babies ride rear-facing in the back seat, not sitting next to the driver. Most parents cannot see their infants while driving. And many infants fall asleep in the car, which means they cannot be seen or heard.

Add to that the chaos of a work-morning, a parent who has changed their normal routine (maybe dad driving the child to daycare when mom usually does it) and possibly even a bad night's sleep the night before (I know my baby has never slept through the night, for instance, and she is 9 months old).

You seem to be suggesting that it is not even possible that a child could be left in a car, except deliberately!

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In a recent incident here, a child climbed into the car while groceries were being unloaded. By the time her family found her it was too late.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages