snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Police Blotter » Police sue woman, 81, over caning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Police sue woman, 81, over caning
wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a local incident in which an elderly woman beat a police officer with her cane when he and a partner were investigating an Adult Protective Services report. Apparently it's made the international news.
Here is another article from the local paper. I'm including it because of the hokey staged picture. [Big Grin]

Basically it seems as if this woman is drunk most of the time and keeps calling the police to say that she's being abused. Then when they get to her house, she denies that there's a problem. Her caretaker's relationship to her seems suspect, though he claims she was already out of money before he met her.

I'm so glad I'm not a police officer who has to get into the middle of situations like this one.

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Love that picture! [lol] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why don't they just arrest her for assault (with a cane), and filling a false complaint. Isn't it illegal to knowingly to call 911 for false reasons?

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think they want to make a point about people assaulting police officers without actually jailing an 81-year-old woman.

The part about calling 911 is a bit more complicated, I think. There's knowingly calling in a false report to 911, and then there's being drunk and deluded and calling in a report to 911 that you may actually believe at the time. I think the latter situation may happen quite frequently without any prosecution taking place.

All of that is just speculation on my part, though. I don't personally know these police officers, and I don't have data on drunken dialing of 911. This being snopes, somebody out there may know a lot more about the subject.

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ertceps
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ertceps     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those little old ladies are a feisty bunch sometimes

I used to drive a cab and one of our regulars was an elderly woman...the first time I picked her up she was making her way down her front steps so I jumped out of my taxi and rushed over to help

She was bent over so far her cane is only two feet long but it was long enough to whack me about the ankles once I got close enough...she began spew profanity that would make a sailor blush telling me she didn't need help and I should mind my own business

BTW To give you another idea how charming she really was...her sister lived in an apartment building 1/2 block away and they had not spoken to each other in 30 years...she was also an equal opportunity hater...she hated all races, creeds, religions(whoops except for Catholics)...young or old...male or female didn't matter everyone was a sinner to her

So where did I take her every day? Why to church of course...there was a Catholic church 1 1/2 block away she went to like clockwork...in her mind she was a good church going lady and don't you forget it you @#$%^^%$#@!!!*&^%$

Posts: 100 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At one point during the visit she hit her kitten, Midget, with her cane. . .
Nice. [Roll Eyes]

This woman needs to be in rehab. She's a mean drunk.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages