snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Police Blotter » Is it true that police can not serve in their home area.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it true that police can not serve in their home area.
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard a few claims that police officers will not be assigned to the area they live in or grew up in, in case it leads to a conflict of interest.
But is this a universal rule, and I imagine it would be difficult in places like rural USA where there might not be enough police or towns to go around.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, it's not a rule in the US. Not by far. As a matter of fact I know some places that it is just the opposite. You MUST live in that county to be a police officer there. (That is in a county in NY)

Here in PA I know that cops can live in the same town. I'm not too sure about other areas though.

Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't speak to the part about serving where they've grown up but I know that my friend who is a cop has to live within a certain distance (can't remember if it was miles or minutes) of the police station. I believe this is in case he needs to be called in on an emergency. He's been working for the the same town for arond 8 years now. When he was first hired, he lived in the next town over and he now lives in the town he works for. Actually, to be accurate, right this minute he's in Africa on active duty but he'll be home soon.

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 213 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about every location, but where I live, law enforcement officers, both city and county, live in the city or county where they work. I'm not sure if they are required to, but I know they are allowed to work in their home area.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was an article in the Columbus Dispatch recently about Granville, a college town (Denison University) east of Columbus. Real estate prices there are very high. Apparently none of the teachers, cops, etc. live in the town -- they can't afford to.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
I have heard a few claims that police officers will not be assigned to the area they live in or grew up in, in case it leads to a conflict of interest.

In Pennsylvania, my understanding is that a State Trooper's first assignment won't be near their home. After a certain amount of time, however, they can be transferred there.

I know for a fact that there aren't any such restrictions in Chapel Hill or Hillsborough, as I've asked.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tweetilynn
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tweetilynn   E-mail tweetilynn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No cite, but a couple of State Troopers here locally in Virginia told me that State Police can not serve in their home area for ten years. They mentioned the conflict of interest.

--------------------
LOVE: the condition in which the welfare and happiness of another become essential to your own.
-Jubal Harshaw

Posts: 89 | From: Eagle Rock, Virginia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ComicBookGeek
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ComicBookGeek     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My fiance is a dispatcher and she used to live 45 minutes away. I have heard rumblings about some of the officers living as far away but I'll ask her when she gets home.

--------------------
My Blog

Posts: 177 | From: Mobile, AL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicki:
Here in PA I know that cops can live in the same town. I'm not too sure about other areas though.

Many cities have tried to impose regulations that require police officers and city employees to live in the municipality where they are employed. For various reasons, the regulations always fail.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
violetbon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violetbon   E-mail violetbon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those type of regulations can cause quite a logistical problem if both spouses work in different jobs requiring residency. My friend had to go through a bit of red tape to get a waiver because she works for a school system where the teachers are required to live in the city, and her husband works for the fire department in a suburb where they also are required to live in that suburb.
Posts: 193 | From: Seymour, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about always fail. In the City of St. Louis you have to live in the city to work for the city. When my husband applied for an job there the first thing they asked was if he was willing to move there. This goes for police as well as the maintance guy in city hall. It is highly controversial.
Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Same thing in Boston: within city limits residency is required for cops, firefighters, and teachers. There were some wacky grandfathering clauses put in place when it was implemented, though. IIRC (and it's quite possible I don't), senior officers (police & fire) were not required to move to the city if they didn't live there already, and rank-and-file officers had a certain amount of time (two years?) to move within city limits. Or it may not have been by rank, but by seniority, or something like that. I can't remember what the rules were for teachers.

In my city, residents are given hiring preference over non-residents. Since there's a waiting list of about 100 for a force of 105 police officers, for instance, non-residents don't get hired.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I *think*, in the town I grew up in (North Jersey), all the members of the police department lived in the town itself; as someone else said, they had to be x amount of miles/minutes away from the station in case of emergency. I'd have to check to be sure, though.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a whopping 21 square mile town. We have between 8-12 officers on-staff at any time. Many live and/or grew up here but not all. We have a mixture of ones that live in town and ones that live out. We also have at least 1 State Trooper that lives in town and patrols here. Same with Deputy Sheriff's out of the County Jail.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The RCMP used to have a rule similar to the one from the State Police in the US. It was 10 years before you could be sent back to your home province. However, about 10 years ago they relaxed that rule for two reasons.

First, many of their recruits were from areas that they were short constables (namely British Columbia) and to send them away did nothing for their shortages there.

Second, many constables were joining with families, unlike in decades past. If the constable had a spouse or children in school, then attempts would be made to keep him/her near the family. This often meant posting them within their home province. Although this was rarely within their home town.

Many municipal police officers around here are from the town where they become the law.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our local police force is around 50 and I know around 15 or so (either me or my siblings went to school with most, my sister dated one). The ones I still know do live in town.

But, in looking up the info on the police website, I found out we have two canine patrol units. I never knew that.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Baltimore tried to have the rule about police and firefighters living within the city limits. It was grandfathered for excisting officers, but the state passed a law saying that no jurisdictions in the state could require residency, except for appointed officials (i.e., the police commissioner has to live within the city limits). And, of course, there are laws requiring residency for most elected representatives (i.e., mayor, city council, congressmen, etc.).

But AFAIK, there are no outright bans against police living in their areas. As a mattr of fact, it is often encouraged, as the officers will get familiar with their jurisdiction, know when something is out of place, be close to the neighbors so as to heasr about illegal happenings, etc.

In our area, at least, a LOT of apartment complexes even offer discounts for police (and sometimes firefighters as well), since it gives at least the illusion of increased safety for the residents. Before we were bought our house, DH had a 10% discount on his apartment because he was a police officer.

ETA: If I ever have the urge to post when I'm overtired again, I should reread this one -- Yikes! Sorry for the serious misspellings!!

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At least for our little town, I KNOW at least SOME of the police officers live in town (down the block from me, in fact). I know one county officer who lives in town (which is part of the county).

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jetstew
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jetstew     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Detroit has enforced the residency rule for FIrefighters and Police Officers for eons, only recently deciding to rescind it.

Many of them lived in other cities anyway, and used an address in the 313 to satisfy the requirement.

Posts: 10 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gopher

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gopher   E-mail gopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
FOMF (Friend of my Father). He was a Police Sargeant over here and was putting in for to become a detective in the mid 80's. he was strongly advised to either move to a different area to serve or stop seeing his friends, in case he had to arrest them. Why this applied more to plain-clothes than uniformed I'm not sure. he
Posts: 130 | From: Kingdom of Northumbria | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In Onondaga County, AFAIK, there is a residency requirement for county employess but police, among others, are exempt by the state. A cop certainly CAN live in the county, but many often choose not to, so they and their families don't run into people they've arrested. That can cause problems, I believe.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages