snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Police Blotter » Find sex offenders in your area!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Find sex offenders in your area!
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 05 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www12.familywatchdog.us/

Anybody know if this is real? It seems to be, except that I know a person that lives near me that is a sex offender, and he doesn't show up.

It does seem to be accurate about other stuff though.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think that it's real. That information is supposed to be public record, isn't it?
Supposedly there is an offender on the next street over from me. Lovely.

ETA the word "it".

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It missed the one that lives a few streets away from me. I found that one out through the Illinois Sex Offender Registry. If someone is really concerned/curious, I'd recommend just Googling (your state) sex offender registry to get the official site.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ardeco
The World According to Carp

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ardeco     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from strangers with bird flu:
It missed the one that lives a few streets away from me. I found that one out through the Illinois Sex Offender Registry. If someone is really concerned/curious, I'd recommend just Googling (your state) sex offender registry to get the official site.

That's what I did. Family Watchdog appears to be sort of like an interactive version of the sex offender registry. Besides, I know Family Watchdog is real because I searched for someone whom I know is a sex offender and got their picture... and am tempted to post the picture because it is one of the best (unlikeliest?) mugshots I have ever seen.
Posts: 30 | From: SW Ohio | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no, is there a new Brian Peppers?

--------------------

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. I ran my old address in Los Angeles. Within 5 miles of my apartment there were 2137 registered offenders. I ran my current address in Texas with approximately the same size map -- 21 registered offenders. Now that's a big difference.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If someone is really concerned/curious, I'd recommend just Googling (your state) sex offender registry to get the official site.

I tried that a little while ago, and the person I was looking for wasn't listed there either, although I know he has been convicted.

The only person actually very near my current address was a female, arrested for "aggravated prostitution." No picture of her available though, dammit.

Robbiev -how do you aggravate a prostitute?- 427

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by robbiev427:
Robbiev -how do you aggravate a prostitute?- 427

Try paying by rubber check.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Find sex offenders in your area!

Title sounds like an advertisment for a kinky "adult" singles web site.

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

YOMANK, jimmy101

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, that would be "Find Christian sex offenders in your area!"

Or at least, that's a close approximation of my daily spam. I alos keep getting "Long Pole" (reply to "MassivePole@LargeTool") and "President Klinton uses Voagra!"

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

I got one once that said "Vagina, vagina, vagina!" Must have been from Jan Brady.

--------------------

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy101:
Find sex offenders in your area!

Title sounds like an advertisment for a kinky "adult" singles web site.

Actually, the same thought ran through my mind when I was posting this, but I thought I'd leave the dirty stuff to you perverts! [Big Grin]

Re: "christian" singles ads, I got one once that said something like "Meet Christian Singles in your area for discreet S&M."

I thought, "Holy cow! What are those Mother NFBSK'ers teaching and where can I join?"

Robbiev -they never taught nothing' like that at my church- 427

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I got one once that said "Vagina, vagina, vagina!" Must have been from Jan Brady.

[lol] [lol] [lol]

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Re: "christian" singles ads, I got one once that said something like "Meet Christian Singles in your area for discreet S&M."

I thought, "Holy cow! What are those Mother NFBSK'ers teaching and where can I join?"

Don't get too excited. It stands for Serving and Missioning. [Razz]

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ardeco

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ardeco     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You mean it wasn't Miss Davis from Varsity Blues?
Posts: 30 | From: SW Ohio | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ardeco

quote:
Oh no, is there a new Brian Peppers?

No, nothing like Brian Peppers, but how many mugshots have you seen where the guy has one hand on his hip, another on the wall and is grinning like an idiot? This is one for The Smoking Gun
Maj. Burns
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Maj. Burns   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is odd... I entered the address I live at now (in New Jersey) and came up with 30 offenders nearby, with the closest one being 2 miles away.

Then, I type in my former address in Wisconsin, and up popped a list of ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-TWO offenders, almost all of them within a two mile radius of my old apartment!

Posts: 116 | From: Manasquan, NJ | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maj. Burns:
This is odd... I entered the address I live at now (in New Jersey) and came up with 30 offenders nearby, with the closest one being 2 miles away.

Then, I type in my former address in Wisconsin, and up popped a list of ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-TWO offenders, almost all of them within a two mile radius of my old apartment!

Is there a lot of catholic churches near where you used to live?

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amberbamer
Strawberry Bruises

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amberbamer   E-mail Amberbamer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey I'm not an expert or anything but when I typed in my address there is one that lives less then a mile from me, and that would make him less than a half-mile from the elementary school. I thought they had to live a certain distance away from schools, does anybody else know if that is true?

--------------------
Rainbows and puppies make chocolate chip cookies

Posts: 235 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:

Don't get too excited. It stands for Serving and Missioning. [Razz]
GenYus,

Dammit man! Don't mess with my fantasy! [Wink]

So, there

--------------------

Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like that site because it shows ALL sex offender not just level 3 (like VA & NY) they say they are the most likely to strike again but I think thats bullcrap I want to know where ALL of them are! The site also wants you to donate $5 to track when people move in or out of the neighborhood and to where. I'm all for civil confinement, they can NOT be rehabiliated and I wouldn't mind going to jail if someone hurt my son. Mothers instinct [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amberbamer:
Hey I'm not an expert or anything but when I typed in my address there is one that lives less then a mile from me, and that would make him less than a half-mile from the elementary school. I thought they had to live a certain distance away from schools, does anybody else know if that is true?

There was a sex offender who lived RIGHT NEXT DOOR(and still does) in the woods in a trailer next to my old elem. school out in the sticks...I called the police to ask and they said only if it's in their probation papers or a judge sets that...I guess not everyone. My mom wanted to hand out flyers but you can't violate their right to privacy [flame]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Maj. Burns
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Maj. Burns   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lazerus the duck:
quote:
Originally posted by Maj. Burns:

Is there a lot of catholic churches near where you used to live?
No, but there WAS a bar on every block. And it is a college town. [Frown]
Posts: 116 | From: Manasquan, NJ | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oregon does not have on-line access
I can call or write tho..

I do know the guy across the street was charged many times but I am not sure how it all turned out.

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
My mom wanted to hand out flyers but you can't violate their right to privacy [flame]

Good.

Yet again why does everyone feel that they have the right to act like the frickin' Punisher because someone who commited a crime and has already served their sentences is nearby?

Why is this man's right to privacy so distasteful to you?

Oh your mother can't harrass someone else for no reason. What a tragedy. [Roll Eyes]

This is the reason you're mother can't simply posts signs because she wants to.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I like that site because it shows ALL sex offender not just level 3 (like VA & NY) they say they are the most likely to strike again but I think thats bullcrap I want to know where ALL of them are!

Yes because its vitally important that you keep track of the 18 year old who got a blowjob from a 17 year old for... drumroll please... "sake of the children."

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm all for civil confinement, they can NOT be rehabiliated and I wouldn't mind going to jail if someone hurt my son.

Actually, yes, they can be rehabilitated. Burglars are more likely to re-offend than sex offenders. I've heard the "they can't be rehabilitated" bit quite often, but all the studies I've seen on the subject tell a different story. If you have more data to support this view, I'd be glad to see it.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
quote:
My mom wanted to hand out flyers but you can't violate their right to privacy [flame]

Good.

Yet again why does everyone feel that they have the right to act like the frickin' Punisher because someone who commited a crime and has already served their sentences is nearby?

But the children. Think of the children!

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Open Mike Night
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Open Mike Night     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
quote:

Good.

But the children. Think of the children!
Well, how else would you let all your neighbors know that they shouldn't send the children out dressed in wool sweaters?

--------------------
On the crusade to eliminate Moral Asshattery wherever it exists
Member: AAMAH

Posts: 2940 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IMO multiple offenders should not be left completely under the radar.
"Mommy, that man across the street is watching us playing in our yard again"

Yee-ducking now-Mum

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

And that's what the registry is for.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages