snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Police Blotter » Bounty Hunter Enters Cop's Home

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bounty Hunter Enters Cop's Home
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 09 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Robert Turner, a 37-year-old bounty hunter, was looking for a woman wanted for failure to appear in court. But the address she gave was an old one, and the home he entered now belongs to a police officer.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060128/D8FDCG9GC.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Turner arrived at the home and saw a police car parked in the driveway, but assumed it belonged to a neighbor.
He thought there was a cop next door, but broke into the house anyway?

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from Ron Mexico:
quote:
Turner arrived at the home and saw a police car parked in the driveway, but assumed it belonged to a neighbor.
He thought there was a cop next door, but broke into the house anyway?
If'n I'm about to break into a house of someone who's neighbor is a cop and who's apparently on good enough terms to allow them to use my driveway I'd think twice.

And after getting into the house and finding the bagdge... at that point I think I'd cut my losses and split- NOT leave a friggin' business card!

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Franny
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The scary part of this for me is that the cop's two daughters were at home hiding in a bedroom as this "bounty hunter" searched the house. Talk about trauma for those poor girls!

--------------------
I've been waiting here for like 20 minutes.

"It's you, but distilled into one place." - JK. http://www.theheldhand.blogspot.com/

Posts: 505 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It still amazes me that this "profession" is legal in the United States.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope it is outlawed eventually. Just My Not So Humble Opinion.

--------------------
I can't believe it's not Square!

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought bounty hunters were something Hollywood had made up to give them storylines until I saw an episode of Take this job, and realised that they actually exist. I find the idea... strange.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok..I'm confused on what people think is wrong with bounty-hunters. Bail bondsmen risk a lot of money in their job and stand to lose it if they wait for the cops to capture the fugitives, if they ever do.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aimee Evilpixie
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Plus, without them we wouldn't have the hilarious Stephanie Plum novels, by Janet Evanovich.

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pinqy:
Ok..I'm confused on what people think is wrong with bounty-hunters. Bail bondsmen risk a lot of money in their job and stand to lose it if they wait for the cops to capture the fugitives, if they ever do.

The idea of non-law-enforcement people running around catching criminals is just weird to me. I don't think Australia has anything like bail bondsmen either, so the need for private citizens to run around after criminals is foreign to me too.

Police work within a set of rules and regulations and are accountable for their actions. Bounty hunters may well have a similar set of rules, but if they feel they are able to break into houses at will, they don't seem to be as constrained by those rules as a law enforcement officer.

Put it down to a difference in culture.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pinqy:

pinqy

I have no problem with bounty hunters per se, it's the lack of licensing, standards, background checks, training, certification, oversight, supervision, etc, etc.

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
momto4+
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momto4+     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aimee Evilpixie:
Plus, without them we wouldn't have the hilarious Stephanie Plum novels, by Janet Evanovich.

Exactly!!! I love those!!!

--------------------
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wits and add drama to an otherwise dull day! -Calvin and Hobbes

Posts: 251 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages