snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Police Blotter » 'Gay' police horse case dropped

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Gay' police horse case dropped
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A student who called a mounted policeman's horse "gay" will not be prosecuted, it has been revealed.

ETA:
[url= http://www.oxfordstudent.com/tt2005wk6/News/finalist_arrested_for_calling_police_horse_'gay']link to original story[/url]

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm.... has anyone asked the horse if this is, in fact, true?

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

His remarks were deemed likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

Was the horse upset? If not and 'passers-by' were upset why did they not come forward to testify.

I think the Police Authority should be charged with wasting public funds.

Aren't our police wonderful?

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Further information about this, from when it originally happened:

Arrest for 'gay' horse jibe is absurd, says Tatchell

quote:
Police officers who arrested a student for calling a police horse "gay" have been accused of "absurd heavy-handedness and over-reaction" by a leading campaigner for homosexual rights.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just curious if there was any reason Mr Brown made the comment in the first place. Though even if it was for no reason at all, I can't imagine why that would have been considered a crime.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the article:

Mr Brown, 21, a student at Balliol College, was arrested for causing harassment, alarm or distress and fined £80 after asking a mounted police officer if he knew that his horse was homosexual.

However, I too am wondering if the student was doing something else, but this was all the police could nail (or try to nail) on him. It all seems a dreaful waste of time and money.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Deansinger:

When I asked the horse he said "neigh"

--------------------

candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK, Tarquin Farquart [lol]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 502 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:
quote:

When I asked the horse he said "neigh"
Whinny ya gonna admit that you are an unrepentant punslinger?

--------------------

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by candy from Ron Mexico:
YOMANK, Tarquin Farquart [lol]

Wow, my first owed keyboard. It feels like I've finally arrived on this board. I'm all choked up... [Smile]

--------------------

Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You sounded a little ho(a)rse there, TF

--------------------

quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You may have to pony up for that new keyboard, too.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

But that's not the mane point here, is it?

--------------------

quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I'll just have to hoof it for now and rein in my punny instincts.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Smiles777
Abba Zabba

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Smiles777     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now now, before we stirrup any misgivings I call for a gallop poll.

ETA: Quit it! you guys are flogging me! [lol]

--------------------
"There's just something a little extra noble in protecting the person who's standing behind you telling you you're wrong all the time."
First of Two

Posts: 82 | From: Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Wait, just a bit before you try to corral us all in here.

--------------------

quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Canter we all just get along?

--------------------

Ogre4Hire
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ogre4Hire     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This has stampeded out of control.

--------------------
"I felt a great disturbance in this farce..." Nodwick in Lich Wars: the Henchman Strikes Back

Posts: 167 | From: Myrtle Creek, Oregon ( the State of Confusion) | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hay there! Stop it!

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Yeah. We'll have to trot out an order of protection, or something.

--------------------

bab5nutz
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bab5nutz   E-mail bab5nutz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once heard about a young man who was arrested for using obscene language.

And the bad language he used?

He said 'miaow' to a police dog.

I believed it when I first heard about it ... I now suspect that itmight be a UL.

Posts: 101 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Alright, cut it out, y'all. The Buck stops here.

--------------------

quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Is it because you don't have enough doe to continue?

--------------------

Deansinger
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by quiltsbypam:
Is it because you don't have enough doe to continue?

I kinda bridled at that one. I thought it was equine puns... maybe I'm just being mulish.

--------------------

quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Alright, cut it out, y'all. The Buck stops here.

I thought we were changing horses in midstream, deer.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages