snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » Extreme Chastity Horror

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Extreme Chastity Horror
pettiver
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 301 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Stumbled across this a couple of weeks ago and was unduly squicked out! Did a few cursory searches and couldn't find any verification so I thought I'd put it to you:

-

Hi folks, teddy (BuckcuB) here:

Some information on the potential long-term effects of male orgasm control, shared with me by a kink-friendly urologist with whom I've discussed this issue a number of times:

The male anatomy has a built-in safety valve for an oversupply of semen: involuntary ejaculation (e.g. "wet dreams").

However there are various commercial and home-made devices to prevent these emissions, which can be used for long-term chastity control.

There are, however, some dangers in preventing ejaculation for long periods of time. Prostatic fluid, the major component of semen, is continuously produced by a man's prostate gland. Unlike many of the body's other glands, the prostate is partly muscular -- and, as we all know, muscles have to be exercised or else they will atrophy (shrink and weaken). So two of the dangers to long-term non-ejaculation are weakening of the prostate's musculature -- which can cause difficulties in emptying the gland's contents; and an oversupply of prostatic fluid within the gland -- which can lead to several problems.

Men, if you've ever had a prostate exam (and if you're over 35 and you haven't, schedule one NOW!!), you know that the doc palpates (feels) the gland inside through your rectal wall. If the doc detects any enlargement, the *first* question is going to be "When did you last ejaculate?" BPE -- benign prostatic enlargement -- is common as men get older, but the prostate can also become enlarged by too-infrequent ejaculation. This can lead to a form of prostatitis -- a painful inflammation of the prostate, which besides being painful (in a not-fun way!) is harmful to the gland. Many people in the medical community believe that too-infrequent ejaculation and the consequent "boggy" prostate is a contributing cause of prostate cancer.

The doc I mentioned earlier told me he frequently has to "prescribe" masturbation to older men who don't have partners for sexual outlet, to help prevent prostate problems.

He has also treated a man who prevented himself from ejaculating for nearly nine months (not as kink; he had some kind of obsessive mental disorder involving delusions about sex) who developed a shitload of problems as a result. The doc said this guy's prostate felt like a rock when he examined it! He also had a very painful inflammation of the seminal vesicles -- those little tubes you can feel inside your scrotum when you give yourself your monthly self-exam for testicular cancer (you ARE doing this I hope, guys!), as well as epidydymitis (sp?), also a painful inflammation of the in-scrotum sperm delivery system.

The doc tried to empty some of the patient's prostate by forceful massage ("milking"), which had to be done under anasthesia because of the pain, but he was unable to get any of the stuff out. Finally as as last-chance attempt to avoid removing the man's prostate, he was convinced to masturbate. When he came (screaming from the pain!) thick clots of stiff, jellied stuff squeezed out of the head of his dick. The doc said it looked like dirty spaghetti being extruded from a pasta machine, and the smell was nauseating. It didn't work, either.

The man had to undergo surgery to remove his prostate and some of the surrounding tissues, as well as a long course of therapy to treat the inflammation in his sperm tubes, and he lost most of his sexual function.

There are dangers to extreme chastity control for men, as the above points out. I would suggest that *anyone* submitting to this kind of training should secure permission to be periodically evaluated by a urologist! Every man has different levels of tolerance for safe periods of non-ejaculation, so I don't think it's possible to set a standard for this. If you want to learn more about the potential dangers of prolonged non-ejaculation, *please* consult your doctor or urologist. I doubt that any good Master would deliberately damage His property, so I believe permission for periodic urological evaluations is a reasonable request if you're going to undergo chastity training.

And, lest anyone think I'm some kind of expert on kink-related health issues -- I'm not. I feel comfortable sharing the above because I've known this particular doc for some time, and he sees quite a few men into kink who develop problems. (Note: he says the number-one kink-related problem he sees is urethritis from dirty or improperly-used sounds and catheters, so be careful!) But as I mentioned, please see a real doctor for specific information; I am not an authority.

thanx 'n' spanx,
teddy

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it really true that there are devices that can retard ejaculation? If so, could someone link to some examples? I'm a woman, so I wouldn't know.

Sounds like this whole tragedy (if real) could have been prevented by periodically whacking off.

- Pseudo "cream - it does a prostate good" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't the pope be in some trouble, by this logic?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pettiver
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In response to Pseudo-Croat and Chloe:

Clearly if this is real the circumstances are very unusual indeed. I couldn't find any reference to anything like it on Pubmed (I was sufficiently disturbed by it to search!) or else I wouldn't have posted this here.

Not only "whacking off" but the permitting of normal nocturnal emissions would I presume prevent the situation described in the BuckcuB story.

Pseudo-Croat: Try searching Google for 'orgasm denial' or 'chastity control'. Almost certainly not safe for work. Not recommended as per OP!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewZer0   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dan Savage talked about this in Savage Love a month or two ago. Such devices do exist, and it's not a great idea to use them.

I'm off to find a link.

--NewZer0

eta Savage Love

and a follow up letter: More from Savage Love

--------------------
I study medieval literature because that's where the money is.

Posts: 1431 | From: Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, chloe might be a better authority on this, but I have a vague memory from a history class about how in medieval times there were various devices involving bells and what not that would awake the man whose penis was about to involuntarily undermine his vow of chastity while he slept.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope my presumed authority is medieval rather than penile! FWIW, I have not encountered that. I assume you're referring to monks?

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewZer0   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard about such a device -- with the bells -- in the Victorian era, not the middle ages.

--NewZer0

--------------------

Posts: 1431 | From: Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
I hope my presumed authority is medieval rather than penile! FWIW, I have not encountered that. I assume you're referring to monks?

well, I wouldn't want to infer that I think you are penilistically ignorant or the like, but yes, I was thinking medieval. didn't you do your doctorate in something medieval?

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by callee:
quote:
well, I wouldn't want to infer that I think you are penilistically ignorant or the like,
Well, I notice you're a little (unnecessarily) nervous about giving unintentional offence, but I'm not sure I'd want to be considered a penile expert either (although I do insist on the correct plural form). [Big Grin]

quote:
but yes, I was thinking medieval. didn't you do your doctorate in something medieval?
Yup. But NewZer0 might be onto something--it sounds to me like the sort of invention the Victorians came up with, and perhaps projected backwards onto the Middle Ages, like the chastity belt. Ah, those wacky Victorians...

ETA: _Oprah_ said today that the average man had seven erections a day. She didn't mention the average teenage boy.

--------------------

callee

quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
Well, I notice you're a little (unnecessarily) nervous about giving unintentional offence,

well, to be honest, I was not really nervous, I just wanted the chance to say penilistically ignorant [Wink]

--------------------

NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Icon 220 posted      Profile for NewZer0   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This web site mentions the bell thing in connection with the Victorians.

There are pictures of other devices the Victorians used (eek!); not exactly worksafe, I suppose.

I found this by googling "masturbation victorians."

As for the Middle Ages (and Renaissance)...they disapproved of masturbation -- St. Benedict was very clear that monks should sleep with their clothes on and Shakespeare says "The expense of spirit in a waste of shame/is lust in action" and many other bad things.

Sperm needed to stay inside, to keep young men healthy! To go about masturbating, a death sentence! The Victorians thought this, too. How ironic, given what we know now...

--NewZer0

--------------------

callee

geeze, and I spent like 20 minutes googling things like "prevention nocturnal emissions" but I don't recommend that!

--------------------

Western Fallout
Deck the Malls

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Western Fallout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TMI für active topics TMI für active topics TMI für active topics TMI für active topics TMI für active topics TMI für active topics TMI für active topics TMI für active topics TMI für active topics TMI für active topics, et cetera.

Personally, I'm abstinent, and have gone months without gratifying myself. This did cause minor groin pain (a constant sense of having to urinate, even while my bladder was dry), and frequent leakage of seminal fluids. Resorting back to periodic masturbation seemed to remedy the problem. But, could withdrawing from sexual gratification altogether really cause long-term, potentially fatal reprocussions? How exactly did monks and such get around this?

--------------------
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Posts: 348 | From: West Virginia, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman
Harshmallow World

Icon 09 posted      Profile for plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Author's Homepage   E-mail plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TMI alert, spoiler space for tmi

I hope this is enough

I remember reading an article, a couple of years ago that made a correlation between the number of "emissions" a chap had, and the risk of prostate cancer.

According to the article, IIRC, the more ejaculations a man had, over his lifetime, the less likely he was to get prostatic cancer.

dammit! I wish I could remember where I'd seen that dratted article.

Talk

--------------------
...Can you tell tripe from truth?

Don't be an ignoranus:- an ignoranus is someone who is both stupid, and an ars*hole!

Posts: 1833 | From: The West Riding of God's-own county: Yorkshire UK | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

I wish you could as well, since I have also heard that the whole "whack off to prevent prostate cancer" thing is just a UL.

--------------------

hoitoider

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pretty simple google search; not sure how reliable. I suppose it depends on your agenda, religious or otherwise.

Masturbation 'cuts cancer risk'

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

I was just looking in an old sexuality textbook. They had a section on prostate cancer that did not mention any masturbation connection, but, as always, absence of evidence...

The best they had was this:

quote:
Myotonia and vasocongestion may take an hour or more to dissipate in people who are aroused but who do not reach orgasm. Persistent pelvic vasocongestion may cause “blue balls” in males – the slang term for a throbbing ache. Some men insist that their dates should consent to coitus, since it is unfair to stimulate them to the point where they have this condition. This condition can be relieved through masturbation as well as coitus, however- or allowed to dissipate naturally. Although it may be uncomfortable, it is not dangerous…
from Rathus, et al., Human Sexuality in a World of Diversity. (Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon, 1997), 145.

--------------------

Western Fallout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Western Fallout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OT: I love that book in your sig, callee. Especially the ending to the first story A Great Day for Bananafish

--------------------
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Posts: 348 | From: West Virginia, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crono
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crono   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crono   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard similar information from various sources, all of them unverifiable and unreliable. I've never heard of any scientific basis for believing this would happen. It does make sense though. If the prostate is producing this fluid, it has to go somewhere eventually. I have heard some Christian groups that condone masturbation use this as their reason for why it is justifiable to do so.

Presumably, if a man did not masturbate, nocturnal emissions would have the same effect, so no harm would be done. That would be why priests and monks wouldn't experience any problems. Christians in the "masturbation is a sin" crowd use this a their reasoning for why you still shouldn't masturbate. However, if a person didn't masturbate AND did not experience nocturnal emissions for some reason, it would seem like he would experience problems of some kind.

--------------------
Disclaimer: I might know something about everything, but I don't know much about anything.

Posts: 293 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages