snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » Colorblind?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Colorblind?
Mystara
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Mystara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife told me that everyone is colorblind in their peripheral vision. I can't seem to find anything to support that.

Is this true?

--------------------
Dad, what are books?
Look it up on the internet son.

Posts: 66 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Basically.
Discussion of Rods & Cones

"The rods are more numerous of the photoreceptors, some 120 million, and are the more sensitive than the cones. However, they are not sensitive to color. [snippage] These rods are responsible for night vision, our most sensitive motion detection, and our peripheral vision. "

There's probably more to it. Someone will be along shortly to clarify.

(Love your sig, btw)

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crono
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crono   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crono   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is pretty much true. There are two types of receptors in the eye: rods and cones. Rods are more sensitive to light and motion which allows them to pick up light in low-light settings. However, they do not pick up color at all. Cones are able to pick up color and detail, but they are less sensitive to light. That's why you don't see colors as well in dimly lit areas. The outside edges of the retina contain only rods, so your vision is more or less colorblind in that area. As you move towards the middle of the retina, there are more and more cones added to the mix. Eventually, you get to the fovea, an area near the center of the retina that consists only of cones. This area of the eye picks up the most detail, and when you focus your attention on something, that's the part of retina you're using. You probably do perceive colors in your peripheral vision, but that is the brain filling in the colors for you. They eye itself is only sensing things in monochrome in your peripheral vision.

--------------------
Disclaimer: I might know something about everything, but I don't know much about anything.

Posts: 293 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages