snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » The blood bank doesn't want my mom's blood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The blood bank doesn't want my mom's blood
m3lissa47
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, I have given blood about 3 times in the past two years (since it became legal for me), and my mom thought it was a great and wanted to give it a go too. So yesterday my mom gets her chance at work where they held a blood drive. She goes in and during the questioning process the girl asks about having close contact with anyone who's had AIDS. My mom then explains that her brother had died from AIDS in '91, and the girl asks if she took care of him during that time. My mom says well yes, when she was there, however she was never exposed to any blood, feces, sores, etc. that would have caused her to contract the disease and that since then she had been tested "just in case" and everything came out fine. The girl refused her anyway on the grounds that my uncle was an immediate family member whom she helped care for.

Now my question is, is this really something they turn you down for? Out of all the times I've given blood I've never had this question asked, even this most recent time, just 3 weeks ago, because if I had my answer would have been the same as my mother's and in that theory I would have been turned down too.

Mel "Confused" issa

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never heard the immediate caregivers clause for HIV/AIDS. Hepatitis, perhaps, but not HIV/AIDS.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think each blood center is allowed to ask their own questions as long as they also ask the basics.
So short answer is yes they can turn you down depending on the blood center and the nurse doing the questioning.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, each blood center can have their own reasons for rejecting. Seems like a great majority of questions are based on aids, but I think they test for it anyway, don't they?

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Yep, each blood center can have their own reasons for rejecting. Seems like a great majority of questions are based on aids, but I think they test for it anyway, don't they?

In Australia they ask about IV drug use tatoo in the last 6 months and also test for Aids and Hep A & C
they also do a red cell count b4
and make you eat and or drink

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
m3lissa47

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Beachlife, yes they do, but I guess they just figure its a hell of a lot easier/cheaper to just filter out the unwanted blood beforehand. They also test your blood for iron content, however that comes beforehand where the actual disease testing isn't until afterwards.

Well, I just told my mom that if she still wanted to donate Red Cross has never turned me down or even asked that question. Thanks everyone for the answers, for some reason I assumed those questions were all standerd protocol and didn't differ from place to place.

Mel "You know what happens when you assume" issa

Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tell your mom to go to the main blood center in your city. Sometimes the blood mobile's are a little more strict than the main center. Though they all ask the same questions, it's likely because of the capacity of the mobile, it may be they are more stringent.

It's funny about the aids thing.. my husband just donated blood a couple of months ago--we received a letter that said he had a "false positive" for the virus, that he had better get tested to be sure.

We *know* (and I can swear that on the bible) he has been no where but with me... so the false positive came from medicines he was taking for the flu.

It's likely they were just playing it safe--albeit a bit too stringent since they do test for the virus.

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
waffles are good for the blood

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They don't want to get sued and hopefully they don't want to infect others. I believe some of the questions are odd (e.g. have you visited such and such a place, lived for more than x amount of time in foriegn coutry du jour, had your ears pierced/tattoo within the past year or so?) but they are trying to eliminate high risk based on averages. Still I think it is better to eliminate possibly contaminated blood and have the test as simply a double check than it is to rely soley on the testing. For those trying to save face they can still "donate" blood here. If someone is high risk the blood won't be used but they will extract it (an unnecessary expense and danger if you ask me). They just have the individual mark the bag with the "do not use" bar code and then they can look good for their company or organization for "giving blood". I really think that practice should be stopped but I don't run the place, nor do I understand what great social presure a group could put upon someone that would cause them to willling bleed without benifit to anyone.

I've been defered a couple time do to my iron count. I'm borderline anemic but now I pass them. Which was fine with me because giving blood is something I'll do if asked but its not my favourite activity. But now they say they can get better, higher iron, results if they take the sample from the earlobe rather than the finger tips. From what they describe it sounds as if iron just sits around collecting in the earlobe while it is pounded out of the finger tips by typing. It sounds very ULish to me but I've tested better since they changed methods, perhaps they are just lying about the results... sadly that wouldn't surprise me. I have low blood presure and that's been commented on. However the only thing I'm ever asked, if I'm asked anything at all, is if I've eaten that day. I tell them what I ate and they ignore the BP numbers.). I once dodged an apherisis donation because I was pregnant (I hate those things, the needles are like twice as big and it takes about two hours... I also don't like the idea of my blood going for a scenic trip and then most of it coming back home to me... too creepy.). I don't really like giving Oddly, aside from not being able to view a needle going into me or in me (they have to cover it up) I do quite well with blood donations. I have to look away when it is inserted or I'd have a natural reflex reation to pull away. Hey, its a sharp object coming at me. Also I hate things in my skin. I almost went mad the time an ex-boyfriend's mom stuck accupuncture needles in me. I really had the desire to rip them out, I can't stand to see things in my flesh. I used to epilate my entire body (everything but my head) because I couldn't stand the thought of the hairs sticking in me so I had to pull them out)... sorry for the off topic rant. Anyway, my point was that I was a questionable candidate at best, even my weight is many times border line, but they still always take my blood. Sometimes I wish they were more cautious. I think a lot of times it just depends on who you get. My dad can't give blood (he'll pass out... almost certain it was due to nerves) and they asked him not to come back.

--------------------

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crono
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crono   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crono   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first started giving blood, they took a sample from my earlobe to do the iron test. A couple of years later, they took it from my finger instead. I asked them why, and they said that blood from the finger gives a more accurate iron count. Ever since then, they've always taken blood from my finger at every location that I've been.

That being said, I've also been told by the people who work at the blood donation stations that the iron count can vary day to day and can depend a lot on what you've eaten that day (or whether or not you have eaten that day). Even if you fail the iron test, it doesn't necessarily mean that there's anything unhealthy about you.

--------------------
Disclaimer: I might know something about everything, but I don't know much about anything.

Posts: 293 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
I believe some of the questions are odd (e.g. have you visited such and such a place, lived for more than x amount of time in foriegn coutry du jour,

That's for BSE and other diseases. It may sound odd to you, but they're usually based on CDC, WHO, Red Cross, and other health organisation's research.

Turkmenistan should be on the top of the list -- Tukmenbashi's plan to eradicate the plague there is to outlaw it.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the UK guidelines on who can't donate blood.

quote:
You should never give blood if:
2 You're a man who's had sex with another man, even "safe sex" using a condom.

This one always confuses me when I go to donate blood. I can only assume the reasoning is that they imagine gay men to have a higher chance of having a disease that renders their blood unsuitable, but if they test each donation for every disease anyway, it surely doesn't matter who's had sex with who? A man who has unprotected sex with a hundred different women a week would be eligible but a man whose sexual history comprises a single occasion of protected sex with another man, for whom the encounter was also his sole sexual experience, would be automatically refused. Perhaps there's something I'm missing?

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 27 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Danvers Carew:
Here's the UK guidelines on who can't donate blood.

quote:
You should never give blood if:
2 You're a man who's had sex with another man, even "safe sex" using a condom.

This one always confuses me when I go to donate blood. I can only assume the reasoning is that they imagine gay men to have a higher chance of having a disease that renders their blood unsuitable, but if they test each donation for every disease anyway, it surely doesn't matter who's had sex with who? A man who has unprotected sex with a hundred different women a week would be eligible but a man whose sexual history comprises a single occasion of protected sex with another man, for whom the encounter was also his sole sexual experience, would be automatically refused. Perhaps there's something I'm missing?
The US Red Cross asks if you've ever had sex with another man since 1977. My smart ass reply is always, "Yes, but not since 1977." Which is funny because I was born in 1978. Well, I think it's funny [fish] .

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura

I think it's better to be safe than sorry. They obviously have good reason for asking each question.

I failed the iron test once. I still had to give blood as they needed to take a larger sample to test me for Anemia and such. They sent me a letter saying i was ok though. Iv'e never failed before or since.

Personally, i just go and give blood for the free tea and biscuits at the end. he he he!

mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was recently an article in our paper about a woman who couldn't donate blood for one reason or another...I want to say it was Ann Landers (annie's mailbox) or something. The person couldn't understand why, if there's always a shortage of blood, can't someone who was travelling, got a tattoo, had a homosexual relationship...etc. couldn't donate. Sometimes those questions are way too strict. Personally, I think that the OP's mom could've donated, just the phlebotomist/nurse had a bug up her NFBSK.

mrs.hi-"2 tattoos and still afraid of needles"C

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dam9191
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dam9191   E-mail dam9191   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also know that when my spouse had mono, that he was told that he wouldn't be able to donate blood for 12 years.

dam "...and all their blood was red" 9191

--------------------
"There is no Heaven
So I can't believe in Room 19."
-Bob Geldof

Posts: 207 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nahemah
Jealous Mirugai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nahemah   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In Australia, I am not allowed to donate blood because I spent more than 6 months in the UK before the end of 1996. It's to do with the prevalence of CJD (Human form of mad cows disease) over there.

--------------------
TV Babble - My Blog
Meme Me - My Shop

Posts: 60 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Wow, someone who knows what CJD is. Well actually I know but that's only because I asked a blood centre employee. I always ask stupid questions (that's how I found out the "do not use" blood gets thrown out, which really upsets me... I hoped it was used for research or something but spending the time and expense for no reason at all is ignorant IMHO). Heck I've even bugged a cop before after I got in a bit of trouble. It was nothing major (no arrest but he did drive me home)... anywho, I was in the back (no seatbelt on) looking up front at all his stuff and asking about it (especially the computer screen thingy). Perhaps sometimes I should just remain silient.

BTW I mentioned this thread to my parents yesterday and my dad brought me my iron drops (I still have iron, I just don't take it). When he came by to pick up the kid he asked if I took it today. When I said no he was surprised and upset which is odd since in the past decade I've rarely taken it. BTW, he's taking my son to the fair... he's a senior and my son is a little one so they both get in free. They'll see the shows and exhibits today then go next week just to ride the rides on the one price unlimited ride day. I know there was little point in sharing that but I think its a good arrangement It saves money and allows the boy to have time to enjoy the whole fair. (Chimera's cost saving tip of the day: find some old dude to take your little one to fun and interesting places.)

--------------------

the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
Wow, someone who knows what CJD is.

I know "the plural of anecdote isn't data", but, I'd pick that most people on this side of the planet know what CJD is.

Marry "no nukes, no mad cows...well, not the bovine kind" ya

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EEEK...It's Lara

Icon 200 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been sent away a few times becaue of my anemia, and I know if I travel to Britain a few more times, I'll be banned for life [Frown]

The first time my sister went, she was nearly turned away because she had taken beef insulin (she's a diabetic) twice 15 years ago. There were flurried phone calls all over to find out if the insulin she took was made in the US or the UK.

Eventually, they proved it was US insulin and she donated. Then she passed out because she was dehydrated. Poor girl.

I also couldn't give for a while because I had a blood transfusion after my accident. Ten years later the hospital disclosed that they hadn't had proper controls for hepatitis C. Had to get tested for that, which scary.

Speaking as someone who's had a blood transfusion and been through that scare, I'd rather they were safer. I don't want to rely on the tests after donation to screen everything.

La "and I'm eternally grateful to the donor who saved my life" ra

eakf

Icon 602 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Next time I give blood I'll have to ask more questions. After all, they seem to be comfortable asking me all sorts of personal questions. [Smile]

I try to donate as often as possible and I like to ask questions too. As for AIDS, they always as if I've ever been tested for AIDS and ask what the result was. They also ask many other sex related questions and travel questions. Those are the hard ones for me as I travel a lot on business and I need to keep a log of how many days here, how many weeks there etc... I'm sure I'll be ruled out soon.

I'm pretty sure that the reason they err on the side of safety (in Canada anyway) is because of the cost of testing. Not to mention the risk of liability.

I was turned away once for having an eye infection. The reasoning wasn't the drugs I was taking for it, but the nurse explained that my body needed the blood (to combat the infection) more than they did.

Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny. Now they think bloodletting may help with some infections.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5953918/

Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Slainey:
Funny. Now they think bloodletting may help with some infections.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5953918/

Hmmm. Maybe I should've stopped over by the bloodmobile I passed by during my lunch break and given a pint. You see, I've had this scratchy throat and cough for the last few days, and maybe it could've done some good.

Or maybe this suggests that being anemic might be a blessing in disguise?

- Pseudo "overdrawn at the blood bank" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised that M.S. isn't listed in the exclusions list. I have M.S. and I inquired about donating. I was told that I could not donate because M.S. is an auto-immune disease (as is Crohn’s, Ulcerative Colitis, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus and Lupus to name a few)
Does this mean all persons suffering these diseases cannot donate? That seems to exclude a great number of people.

Nol 'and this was just after 911 when they were desperate' ly

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EEEK...It's Lara

No, it doesn't mean that, at least not in the U.S.

My sister is an insulin-dependant diabetic (has been since age 13), and she's allowed to give here. There was just, as I explained above, the controversy over whether one has had beef insulin from the U.K.

I'm not sure about Canada, though. I don't see how an auto-immune disease would pass through to the recipient. Maybe someone with more medical knowledge could chime in...

La "bloody hell" ra

rotten little boys

So just how long after risky behavior does one have to wait?

Because I am 'exposed' to someone who was molested as a teenage boy, I can not give blood. I am speaking of something that happened nearly 20 years ago. Somehow, I think things would have shown up since then.

When I had a tattoo done 13 years ago, I was still eligible after what, 6 months?

Why such a long wait for some things but not others?

ThespiSis
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThespiSis   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was told the last time I tried to give that I couldn't give until October 2007 because I had had thyroid cancer (1 3mm spot discovered after the surgery) but had only had surgery and not radiation.

--------------------
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out.~~Alfred Hitchcock

The Big Beautiful Women Homepage

Posts: 1315 | From: BFE Tennessee (aka The 'boro) | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages