snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » Baby grew in abdominal cavity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Baby grew in abdominal cavity
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What an incredible story.

quote:
Doctors were puzzled — they could hear Lisa's unborn child but couldn't find it in her womb.

It was not until they performed emergency surgery last week that doctors discovered the 28-week-old baby in Lisa's abdomen, growing completely outside her uterus. ....
Nathan William Bonnell was born in McMaster Hospital at 2:29 p.m. on April 14. He was 12 inches long and weighed just over 2 pounds.

"Somehow he found a space for himself, I don't know how," said Lisa, 34.

"We know he's a fighter, that's for sure."

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vesta
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vesta   E-mail Vesta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is amazing, but I guess if a seven year old can have his twin living in his belly, it's concievable that this could happen too. I wonder if she had any signs of pregnancy, and wether or not the baby will be alright developmentally.

Vesta

--------------------
Innocence, on the Bicycle of Propriety, carrying the Urn of Reputation safely over the Abyss of Indiscretion.

Posts: 1170 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This happened here a couple of years ago - I'm just about to do a search, bear with me - I seem to remember a woman who had triplets, one of whom grew outside the womb. I'll see what I can find.

Edit: found it. In this case it was a true ectopic pregnancy, with the third baby growing actually inside the Fallopian tube and making 'room' for himself inside the abdominal cavity. The case cited above is termed an "abdominal ectopic pregnancy" - is that the same thing?

Pretty amazing, anyway!

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Scout
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a storyline on the BBC daytime soap, Doctors, sometime last year too, this is the first time I've heard of a real life case.

Scout.

--------------------
"Abandon shop. This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!"

Posts: 661 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
John Dope slithering under a rock
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kind of reminds me of my own thread on a similar story
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Carl H

QUOTE:
That is amazing, but I guess if a seven year old can have his twin living in his belly, it's concievable that this could happen too. I wonder if she had any signs of pregnancy, and wether or not the baby will be alright developmentally.

Vesta
------------
Where on earth can I read about this? A seven year old can have his twin living in his belly?

Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess if placenta can grow outside the womb as in endometriosis then a kid can too.

Ectopic just means outside of it the typical place. There can be other sorts of ectopic growths besides just ectopic pregnancies.

Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Slainey-saurus:
I guess if placenta can grow outside the womb as in endometriosis then a kid can too.

I don't think that endometrial tissue is placental tissue - it is uterine lining.

I think that it's incredible that this woman's body produced a blood-filled cyst to protect the fetus.

lj

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nan8

I have read two other cases of this; they were in the Weekly World News:

The article was called, "My Baby is One in a Million (or Billion, I'm not sure which). A woman carried the baby, a boy, to term. She nearly died of colonic hemorraging.

A man, (go figure!)agreed to carry a baby for his wife after her uterus was damaged in a car wreck. They gave him female hormones and planted the eggs (or fetus, I don't remember) in his colon. He was warned that he could miscarry and have hemorraging.

Some of the stories we read in Weekly World News are true: The dog bark translator, the pre-moistened toilet paper that comes in a baby wipe-like container ( see the Cottonelle commercial), and children suffering from strange, rare genetic diseases, Epidermolysis Bullosa, for example. Not long after I read about it in WWN, People had a follow-up to it.

You can find the dog bark translator in the Johnson Smith, Co. catalog.

Nan8

Another thing that I found interesting in the Weekly World News is that some people are "twinless twins":

Sometimes, when the placenta is examined after birth, the doctors find remains of a baby inside it. It's because before birth, the twins fight in the womb over food and one is kicked to death.
I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I do know that identical twins do fight before birth. It's in the Bible, the story of Jacob and Esau!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages