snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » coke helps cure diarrhea?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: coke helps cure diarrhea?
stranger
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 81 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably this has been discussed before, but couldn't find any reference.

Does drinking coke have any beneficial effect when you suffer from diarrhea? Or might it even make it worse?
And is there a difference in the effects of diet coke and normal coke?

I've seen my last year's roommate drink coke when she suffered from diarrhea, claiming that it helps. Now I've got it myself, not so severe, just a slight stomach ache, but it didnt really get better over the past 5 days or so.
(The reason why I don't just go to a doctor is that I'm here in Japan on a travel insurance that lets me pay first, get a receit and gives me the money back in 5 months when I get home... I don't want to waste money for nothing)

anything you can find out appreciated! Thanks

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of coke being beneficial for diarrhea, but I can't imagine how drinking water, sugar, artificial flavour and food colouring could help. The only thing it could possibly do is help you to stay hydrated, but water or a sports drink would do a better job.

I think 5 days of even mild diarrhea merits a trip to the doctor, even if it's going to cost you some money up front. You could have a parasite or other intestinal infection which responds best to immediate treatment.

lj

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I personally prefer ginger ale or 7-up. I would not reccommend diet products when you are having diarrhea because the aspartame can cause gastric distress and works like a laxative for some people. Basically anything to keep you hydrated while you suffer, although don't drink too much because it can have the opposite effect and prolong the whole thing.

ETA: If you have been travelling and that is why you are sick, get a new tooth brush and drink bottled water for a few days. I don't know exactly why you are supposed to get a new toothbrush, but the bottled water is to help your stomach get used to the new local bacteria/chemicals without consuming too much. (the local fruits and veges will still be washed with the local water, so you can get used to it).

Oh and I looked up coke and diarrhea, and they said not to drink caffienated products. So that is a no on coke.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CatPurrson
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 504 posted      Profile for CatPurrson   E-mail CatPurrson   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think I've ever heard of drinking Coke for diarrhea. The CDC recommends AGAINST caffeinated beverages( CDC link ). I have also heard that too much sugar can make diarrhea worse, at least in infants and small children.

I think the reasoning behind the new toothbrush would be that bacteria and other nasties can get lodged in the bristles if rinsed with contaminated water, and you can't just rinse them back off with clean water. Also, when traveling to countries where the water might be questionable, you're either not supposed to eat raw fruits or veggies that might've been rinsed with contaminated water, or you should peel them before eating them (without rinsing again!) ( Another CDC page ).

You're not really supposed to ever drink the local water if there's a chance it might be contaminated with serious nasties. Stick to bottled, or purifiers.

I've never heard of aspartame causing stomach problems like diarrhea. I know other sweetners (sorbitol, maltitol, mannitol) can have a laxative effect, but never heard of such a thing with aspartame.

If you've had diarrhea for five days, you really should get to a doctor and get it checked out. Also, clear fluids are supposed to be best for rehydration.

Hope this was useful!

CatPurrson

--------------------
People who hate cats may have been rats in a previous life.

Posts: 114 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I doubt it. Parents often used to give kids flat lemonade as a re-hydrating treatment after vomiting or diarrhea (I know I was), but these days doctors advise against it because the high quantity of sugar in soft drinks can make diarrhea worse. So Coke would be no better.

I'd see a doctor if I were you.

Little Galaxy

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thing you should drink if suffering from the Jimmy Brits is water, and an electrolyte solution would be highly advisable if you've been suffering/dehydrating for 5 days. Coke would be pointless and probably exacerbate the problem as caffiene will further agitate the bowel and high sugar solution will merely serve to dehydrate you further.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stranger:
Does drinking coke have any beneficial effect when you suffer from diarrhea? Or might it even make it worse?

My friend the pediatric and maternity nurse notes that a few tablespoons of regular (not diet) pepsi or coke every so often when a child is suffering from a bad case of diarrhea was thought to help restore electrolytes lost. Pepsi or coke will not 'cure' diarrhea, though.

A few tablespoons of Gatoraid or Pedialite work better. That and a lot of water. Always drink a lot of water if you have bad diarrhea or you'll get dehydrated.

Children get dehydrated faster than adults. They should be watched more carefully.

No mention of Coke, but good advice, anyway:

http://diarrhea.upmc.com/Treatment.htm (The instant UBB URL function wasn't working for me.)

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Coke always seemed to make me have the big d if I drank too much. My mother's "old wives tale" for helping to cure diarrhea naturally was too eat some cheese or chocolate - something that if you ate too much of would make you constipated. Otherwise, maybe some Immodium and lots of water to help rehydrate the body.

If you've had this for five days though and you are out of town, go see a doctor pronto. That can't be good for you!

vanilla(eww..hershey squirts..)pink

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
stranger

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the advice.
I have not been travelling, I live in Tokyo and didn't leave town for months.
Meanwhile I found out I can't have diarrhea. My stool's perfectly ok, only my stomach hurts, and I feel a bit week and hot.
Any idea what it might be?
One of my friends said it might be some sort of influenza, though I don't have cold symptoms...
Probably i'm going to the doctor tomorrow (wanted to go today, but it was some Emperor's birthday = national holiday, so when I got there I found it closed :-( )

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't sound like a water born problem. Honestly, I wouldn't expect the water to be a problem in Japan anyway. It's one of the few countries in the world where I drink the water freely.

quote:
Originally posted by Blue-Tongued Little Galaxy:
I doubt it. Parents often used to give kids flat lemonade as a re-hydrating treatment...

Okay, I know I had a Kiwi friend tell me that lemondae has a different meaning for Kiwis and those of you in Oz, but I forgot what it that is.

In the states lemonade is a drink made with lemon juice, water and sugar. So it's always flat.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lemonade in Commonwealth countries is fizzy.

Lemon juice, fizzy water, sugar.

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frenchy

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was ill, my doctor recommended coke because I explained I couldn't eat anything (couldn't keep it down) but drinking was ok, and he said with sugar and cafeine, it would help me get awake enough and hydrated/and sugar to have some sort of calories intake (enough for bed). He said it was best to restore the digestive system than having baby paracetamol (I took a 1/2 tablet at a time, and realised it was NOTHING... I should have taken about 5 or 6 of them a day! I was really surprised because usually 1/2 one gets me through a headache pretty fast, and I don't medicate much anyway)
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think people think Coca-Cola is good for stomach/intestinal distress because back in the day kids (me included) were given Coca-Cola Syrup for tummy aches. It is a thick, non-carbonated, syrup that my mom put over crushed ice. I usually grab a Coke or Pepsi if I am nauseous- only a bit of course.

I was in the store the other day (Walgreens) and saw some on the shelf- they still sell it- and says on the bottle to serve over crushed ice or straight out of the bottle for stomach problems.

im(craving an ice cold pop now)ikant

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages