snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » Argh! My lips are on fire!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Argh! My lips are on fire!
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 108 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^maybe poking my eye out will distract me from the discomfort

Is it just me or do other people's lips get severly chapped really quickly for no apparent reason. I've always have this problem and as a result, must carry chapstick/lipbaum with me at all times. On the rare occasion that I'm without it for more than a couple hours, my lips get so chapped the start stinging and get really tight and it drives me crazy. For instance, this morning I forgot my stick and after agonizing for about two hours I finally gave in and went to the store for a new one. The relief is almost orgasmic.

I've heard what I assumed was a myth about becoming addicted to chapstick and am starting to wonder if it's true. It seems like something I'm physically dependent on for comfort.

Anyone have any insight or stories to share about your own lip issues?

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to have really bad episodes of getting chapped lips. I eventually learned that it was simply a matter of not drinking enough water. Now I routinely down five or six glasses a day, and that seems to have solved my problem--if my lips don't get dry, they don't chap.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ciara...
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Ciara...   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am also very careful about not forgetting my chapstick, very careful. I have three currently in rotation. One in my room, next to the bed (actually, more often than not, in the bed); one in the livingroom on the computer table; and one in my bag whenever I leave the house. I don't think I could manage with only one I'm one for always forgetting and losing things I need.

I'm like you, if I discover I forgot to take my bag with me (and thus my chapstick), I find myself in lip hell. It's amazing how fast your lips seem to deteriorate when you have no chapstick at hand. And my lips are very sensitive as to what type of chapstick I use. Substituting my mother's chapstick in cases of forgetting my own has not been successful. Cursed allergies.

[hijack] Oh! How I wish I had the stamina to dig through my storage, find a specific KP issue and scan and post a hilarious cartoon. Alas, I'll just have to give away the punchline. My memory is a bit hazy as to if it had to do with weird addictions or weird psychiatrists but anyway the picture is of a girl with *huge* lips sitting in a psychiatrists room and the blurb says: "It started with a [chap]stick a week. Now I'm up to two [lipbaum] jars a day." *sigh* It doesn't quite work just telling it like this. Curse laziness! [/hijack]

--------------------
-Oh, we'd all like to lick the great Superman, Jimmy.

Posts: 2298 | From: Eastern Scandinavia (Sverige) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
R. Paul Unwin
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I used to have this problem too. I agree with Brad: up your water intake a bit (keep a bottle by you at all times) and see if that doesn't help.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Water helps
Avoiding any lipbalm with color helps
using one with sun block helps

I have a chapstick at my desk, in my purse, by the computer at home, by my sewing machine, in my nightstand. Geeze I'm lazy. Keeping one in the car did no good last summer.

Claim: People get "hooked" on Carmex Lip Balm because it contains ground glass (or other irritants), necessitating its continued use.
http://www.snopes.com/business/secret/carmex.asp

Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I do find that the more I use lip balm, the more I *need* to use lip balm. I also become more concious of my lips, which may lead me to licking my lips, which does dry them out. Sun and wind can also do major damage.

I've found that a sugar scrub helps with dry flakey lips considerably. It can be done at home, or even use a packet of sugar in a resaraunt.

I put a little bit of water and some sugar at the tip of my finger, and rub it all over my lips. It's sweet, it feels good, and it takes off all the flakes and chappiness. Then I just pat them dry with a paper towel or napkin.

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CatoSH

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
re: Carmex
quote:
"One common suspicion is that we put a really terrible acid in it that roughs up your lips and makes you need more Carmex," he said. "But the acid we use is salicylic acid, which is aspirin."
Salicylic acid is also an excellent exfoliant, and used to be used in a lot of acne medications in the UK before benzoyl peroxide became more popular. It's also used in wart removing potions, like Compound W. Many people (including myself) find that salicylic acid containing preparations make their skin red, peeling and irritated, so I can only imagine that the effect on the delicate lip tissue is even more pronounced. Most products that use salicylic acid advise users to keep the stuff away from the lip and under-eye area. Medline says:

quote:
Other side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. However, check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:

More common
Skin irritation not present before use of this medicine (mild) ; stinging

The site also says that moderate to severe skin irritation is another, less common, side effect (near bottom of page).

snopes/Barbara, if you read this, would you re-consider your "false" rating for Carmex in favour of maybe a "Not quite"? I have no axe to grind, never heard of the stuff until I saw the report on your site, but salicylic acid is pretty irritating to the skin and it does seem a bit weird to have it in lip cream. I realise that the concentrations in Carmex are probably much lower than you'd find in an acne cream, but you have to wonder why it's in there... my skin doesn't feel anaesthetised when I use a (presumably much stronger) acne cream containing salicylic acid, so that can't be the reason... and people tend to use lip balms over and over during the day, so even small concentrations probably become irritating given frequent enough usage...

chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did the title of this thread make anyone else think of the original MASH movie?

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Faith
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I too think that some chapsticks cause irritation - my Eve Lom lip balm was the worst. The mornings after using it I could make my lips crack and bleed just by smiling broadly. Not attractive.

I have moved over to Palmer's Cocoa butter chapstick which is fantastic - cheap, doesn't cause irritation and smells of chocolate. I eould thoroughly recommend it.

--------------------
"You watched it. You can't UNWATCH it."

Posts: 1646 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to the dermatologist yesterday for this and other skin problems. Just like many posters above, I carried a chapstick or two with me wherever I went. My lips were peeling, cracked, bleeding, and scabbed. The doctor told me that some people are allergic to the components of their toothpaste, particularly the tartar-control chemicals, the whitening chemicals, and derivatives from cinnamon for flavouring. She told me to use Tom's of Maine Spearmint toothpaste because it contains none of the common lip irritants.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NansJns

Icon 08 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^ the only smilie with lips!
As long as I drink enough, my lips are usually fine, but sometimes they dry out during the night while I sleep, crack, and bleed. I've woken up a couple of times with dried blood on my lips and teeth; the worst time was when I had a trail of dried blood down my chin. Since this doesn't happen often, I don't use chapstick often. What I do use seems to work well enough.

*~*NansJns*~*

Wizard Lizard

Icon 23 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another. I use Carmex constantly and it's such a relief. I always carry some in my pocket when I go out, and some on my night stand. If I do forget, I go to the nearest store and buy some...so I always have a lot. [Big Grin]

Chapstick brand makes me want to stab my lips off. I don't know why, but Chapstick makes my lips FAR worse. I must be allergic to something in it. I did, however, purchase a different brand (Chapet?) from my school's bookstore when I forgot my Carmex at home again. It doesn't have the cool tingly feeling, but it smells great and it works just as well.

I drink my 8 glasses of water a day and my lips are still awful, though. The toothpaste thing is interesting; I'll have to look into that.

Blue "ow! ow! ow!" Wizard

kjbrasda
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjbrasda   Author's Homepage   E-mail kjbrasda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The absolute best stuff I have ever used on my lips isn't actually a lip creme... It's a nipple stimulation creme ^_^ from Passion Parties (kind of like a NFBSK tupperware party).
It softens and plumps, and it's tingly too! It's also flavored and lickable, without the weird waxy aftertaste that some chapstick or baums can leave. I actually prefer it on my lips than for it's intended purpose ^_~

--------------------
"Long ago, when we all lived in the forest..."
Who are you? Who? Who?

Posts: 1587 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonablaze

Icon 107 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've found that chapstick, carmex or other similar products work well for chapped lips (drinking enough water is key though). The problems occur with the makeup-type lip glosses. those tend to dry out my lips. they look good, but don't soothe. one time I tried something of that nature that my sister had, it actuly made my lips burn when I put it on.
Bela Drosmorr 100
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bela Drosmorr 100   E-mail Bela Drosmorr 100   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonablaze:
The problems occur with the makeup-type lip glosses. those tend to dry out my lips. they look good, but don't soothe. one time I tried something of that nature that my sister had, it actuly made my lips burn when I put it on.

My guess would be that the lipgloss you used was DuWop's Lip Venom, a lipgloss that I use regularly. It burns like heck because a main ingredient is cinnamon oil, a type of irritant, which causes the lips to turn a bit more pink and swell slightly.

I actually love this stuff. My lips are constantly dry, and for some reason, the burning sensation caused by the lipgloss feels good. You know how people talk about the 'good kind of pain'? Well, that's it. Really, the burning doesn't last that long, but I'm pretty satisfied by the results.

And no, I do not work for DuWop. [Wink]

--------------------
But that's ok, darling, because I love you. And that's why you have to let me eat your brains. -- Return of the Living Dead

Posts: 767 | From: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vivling
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vivling     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Jinxed:
The doctor told me that some people are allergic to the components of their toothpaste, particularly the tartar-control chemicals, the whitening chemicals, and derivatives from cinnamon for flavouring. She told me to use Tom's of Maine Spearmint toothpaste because it contains none of the common lip irritants.

Tom's of Maine toothpaste is excellent. It's natural ingredients and it tastes good. I use it for those reasons, but it's good to know that there added benefits [Smile]

lil

--------------------
Climb up, over the the top
Shake it, take control
You've got to find out for yourself whether or not you're truly trying
--Jason Mraz

Posts: 1686 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Jinxed:
The doctor told me that some people are allergic to the components of their toothpaste, particularly the tartar-control chemicals, the whitening chemicals, and derivatives from cinnamon for flavouring. She told me to use Tom's of Maine Spearmint toothpaste because it contains none of the common lip irritants.

I agree. I'm a Tom's user (fennel, non-flouride) and I love it. The detergents in regular toothpaste burn my lips and tongue. Peppermint oil also severely irritates my skin (what's the point of having white teeth if the surrounding skin is red and chapped?)I've heard that peppermint added to lip balm is counter-productive as the oil can be quite drying.
Tom's Rocks!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages