snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » Can you pass gas while asleep?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you pass gas while asleep?
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 09 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, so we've established in a previous thread that it is biologically possible for women to pass gas...

...but what about in your sleep?

A work colleague was complaining about her husband farting while asleep, and I found myself blurting out something my father once told me:

"But you can't fart in your sleep! It's not physically possible!"

My dad's reasoning was that if your body tried to expel gas while you were in deep sleep, you would...um...follow through. [Eek!]

Anyone heard anything similar? Or any reasoning why it may/may not be true?

Little Galaxy

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only reason is can give you that it's not true is that my beloved frequently passes gas when he's asleep and so, he informs me, do I.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Topic: Can you pass gas while asleep?
Why yes I can. Thanks for asking.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman
Harshmallow World

Icon 01 posted      Profile for plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Author's Homepage   E-mail plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep telling Mr Talk that he can't pass gas whilst he is asleep

but the rotter goes ahead and does it anyway, regardless.

Talk

--------------------
...Can you tell tripe from truth?

Don't be an ignoranus:- an ignoranus is someone who is both stupid, and an ars*hole!

Posts: 1833 | From: The West Riding of God's-own county: Yorkshire UK | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tier-Rexical banana
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A plain-TALK-ing Yorkshirewoman TM:

Lol [lol] . Sorry, I just keep hearing Gandalf in my head, " You shall not pass!".
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can also still pass gas after you're dead. It's involuntary; your consciousness has nothing to do with it.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tier-Rexical banana:
quote:
Originally posted by A plain-TALK-ing Yorkshirewoman TM:

Lol [lol] . Sorry, I just keep hearing Gandalf in my head, " You shall not pass!".
YOMANK! [lol]

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 37 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Galaxy:
My dad's reasoning was that if your body tried to expel gas while you were in deep sleep, you would...um...follow through. [Eek!]

Your body wouldn't need to try to expel the gas. the gas builds up inside you and eventually reaches critical mass and seeps out through the path of least resistance, resulting in your spuose gagging on the stench and wonder just what the hell you've been eating.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Love Moruti Tender

Icon 217 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^-----Tiny Bubbles

For me, the question is not "Can I " but rather "How often do I."

mo "TMI again" ruti

StarlandVocalBand

Icon 604 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr. VB has been known to wake me up with the loudness of his flatulence.

Obviously, he has many other good qualities!

Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cobra4J   E-mail Cobra4J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My ex-mother in law told me a story a few times. Apparently her husband had "silent but deadly" and not so silent ones quite often.

At night, sometimes she would be awakened by a strange sound- and she learned early on to leave the covers down when that happened- because they would filter out most of the "toxins".

Translation- he let out some deadly farts awake and asleep.

Thank you for letting me offer this little tidbit on such a classy and sophisticated subject.

Posts: 479 | From: Owosso, MI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder, though, if that's something your body learns to control. Not the farting, but the farting without letting loose. My 6-week-old daughter can't seem to do one without the other.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages