snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » Polio vaccine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Polio vaccine
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 15 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is there any validity to the claim that a correlation/link has been
theorized/established between a recent rash of brain tumors and the early
(circa 1950's) oral polio vaccine? The age group affected by the increase in
occurance of brain tumors is 45-55 years.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ravensbane
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for ravensbane         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a little more information on the date of the oral vaccine:

International testing of the Sabin oral polio vaccine under the auspices and invitation of the World Health Organization began in 1957. Testing began in the U.S.A. in 1960, delayed by Health Service wrangling.

I know you said "circa the early 1950's"; so I'm not correcting, just supplyind additional details.

I recall that since the oral vaccine used live polio viruses that there was a much higher inadvertant rate of cases of polio being caused by the vaccine than with the Salk vaccine injections that used dead viruses.

--------------------
"Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives."
Dr. Charles Fisher, psychoanalyst and sleep researcher.

Posts: 671 | From: Los Angeles, California | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kilroy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never heard of the Polio/Cancer link, but there are those who think that the Polio Vaccine caused AIDS.

http://www.whale.to/vaccines/hooper.html

I think this has debunked for the most part, but I think that it is still an interesting theory.

Kilroy

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Goes-Hmmm? taht enigami.
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Questions:

1. Has there actually been an increase in brain cancers?

2. People are living longer and more people are surviving childhood than ever, so is there a per capita increase in cancer rates or are there just more people, and thus more cancer?

3. Can it be proven that how many people got brain cancer from oral polio vaccine?

4. How many people would have died of polio if not for the vaccine?

5. Polio vaccine caused AIDS? Polio was the AIDS of the 50s.

Goes-"there are some people that don't want there to be any vaccines"-hmmm

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages