snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » Immunization and Abortion connection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Immunization and Abortion connection
B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this on a usenet group:
quote:
My wife has a friend that told her she hasn't imunized her child because drug companies use tissue from aborted fetuses to grow the virus's used for the immunizations. I had never heard this before and neither had my wife the nurse. I had heard that eggs were used to grow some vaccines but can't recall which. Can anyone verify this claim that aborted fetus tissue is used to grow vaccines?

I guess she'd rather see her living children die of tetanus rather than take a chance on using a vaccine that may or may not contain human cells.

Bev Hamilton

--------------------
"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little & broken but still good."

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
she hasn't imunized her child because drug companies use tissue from aborted fetuses to grow the virus's used for the immunizations

If the fetuses were being aborted for the express purpose of immunizations, I could see her point. But the fetuses were going to be aborted anyhow, regardless of what happens to the remains. Isn't it better than something positive, like saving lives, can come from it? I sort of feel the same way about this as organ donation - it's better to get whatever use they can out of the tissues (whether in the form of organs or an aborted fetus) than just have it go to waste.

If I had an abortion, I would be very happy if the remains could be put to such a good use (assuming that they actually use fetus tissue for this - I'd never heard of it before now).

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The word is being spread that chickenpox vaccine is made from aborted fetuses. This is a case of "a little learning is a dangerous thing." The manufacture of chickenpox and some other vaccines depends on using human or animal cells kept in culture. These cells were originally derived from a person or cow or whatever, but ever since then have been propagated in glassware in laboratories. For chickenpox vaccine, one of these cell lines is derived from fetal lung tissue. I have no idea if the original cells came form an aborted or miscarried fetus. This page has a nice discussion of the processes and issues Cell Lines
quote:
Vaccines are made using stocks of frozen virus/bacterium which are grown in cell cultures. One contentious issue often raised by opponents of vaccines is the use of human foetal tissue. Human foetuses have been used in the making of these vaccines:

* MMR
* Chickenpox
* Poliomyelitis - not all manufacturers use human cells
* Rabies
* Hepatitis A

Human Cell Lines

No new foetuses have been used in the manufacture of vaccines since the establishment of the initial cell line.
[snip]
Human cell lines are generally used because some viruses only infect humans. The medical argument is that as the cell line has been around for over 20 years and no longer resembles the original cells there is no ethical concern. Some churches agree with this sentiment but to some people who are totally opposed to abortion the issue is not so clear cut. There are vaccines available which do not use human tissue, instead they use monkey kidney, chick embryo, or rabbit kidney to passage the virus.
[snip]However the use of animals in vaccine manufacture has ethical consequences for vegans/vegetarians and other animal rights believers.

There are many vaccines on the market, and many manufacturers. To know for certain if a particular vaccine has been made using cell lines derived from human foetal tissue will require you to view the product insert. If the term 'human diploid tissue' is used then you can assume the tissue was of foetal origin. Other terms include WI 38, MRC-5 and WI RA 27/3. Animal content is often mentioned explicitly although a term to look for is Vero. Foetal bovine serum is also used in the manufacture of many vaccines and this may not be listed.

Kathy "damned if you do, dead if you don't" B.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Kathy, I shamelessly copied and pasted your answer. Names were changed to protect the innocent.

Bev "plagarists R us" Hamilton

--------------------
"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little & broken but still good."

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages