snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » Canola OIl Toxic?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canola OIl Toxic?
spaceweezil
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 22 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found this doing a search on Canola Oil:

Canola oil from the rape seed, referred to as the Canadian oil because Canada is mainly responsible for it being marketed in the USA The Canadian government and industry paid our Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA). $50 million dollars to have canola oil placed on the (GRAS) List "Generally Recognized As Safe" . Thus a new industry was created. Laws were enacted affecting international trade, commerce, and traditional diets. Studies with lab. animals were disastrous. Rats developed fatty degeneration of heart, kidney, adrenals, and thyroid gland. When canola oil was withdrawn from their diets, the deposits dissolved but scar tissue remained on all vital organs. No studies on humans were made before money was spent to promote Canola oil in the USA.

Adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD) is a rare fatal degenerative disease caused by in a build up long-chain fatty acids (c22 to c28) which destroys the myelin (protective sheath )of the nerves. Canola oil is a very long chain fatty acid oil (c22). Those who will defend canola oil say that the Chinese and Indians have used it for centuries with no effect, however it was in an unrefined form.*

My cholesterol level was 150. After a year using Canola oil I tested 260. I switched back to pure olive oil and it has taken 5 years to get it down to 160. Thus began this project to find answers since most Doctors will say that Canola oil is O.K.

My sister spilled Canola oil on a piece of fabric, after 5 pre-treatings and harsh washings, the oil spot still showed. She stopped using Canola oil ,wondering what it did to our insides if it could not be removed from cloth easily.

Our Father bred birds, always checking labels to insure there was no rape seed in their food. He said, "The birds will eat it, but they do not live very long."

A friend who worked for only 9 mo. as a quality control taster, at an apple-chip factory where Canola oil was used exclusively for frying, developed numerous health problems including loose teeth; gum disease, gum and nail beds turned gray; numb hands and feet with cramps, swollen arms and legs upon rising in the morning; extreme joint pain especially in hands; cloudy vision; constipation with stools like black marbles; hearing loss; skin tears from being bumped; lack of energy; hair loss; and heart pains. It has been five years since she has worked there and still has some joint pain, gum disease, and numbness. A fellow worker, about 30 yrs. old who ate very little product, had a routine check up and found that his blood vessels were like those of an 80 year old man. Two employees fed the waste product to baby calves and their hair fell out. After removing the fried apple chips from the diet their hair grew back in.

Be sure to check products for ingredients. If it says, "This product may contain one or more of the following".... and lists Canola oiL you can expect it to contain canola oil because it is the cheapest oil and the government subsidizes Canola oil to some industries involved in food processing, bakeries and schools.

My daughter and her girls were telling jokes. Stephany hit her mom's arm with the back of a butter knife in a gesture, "Oh mom" not hard enough to hurt. My daughters arm split open like it was rotten. She called me to ask what could have caused it. I said, "I'll bet anything that you are using Canola oil". Sure enough, there was a big gallon jug in the pantry.

Rape seed oil is a penetrating oil, to be used in light industry, not for human consumption. It contains a toxic substance. (from encyclopedia ) Even after the processing to reduce the erucic acid content, it is still a penetrating oil. We have found that it turns rancid very fast. Also it leaves a residual rancid odor on clothing.

Rape seed oil used for stir-frying in China found to emit cancer causing chemicals. (Rapeseed oil smoke causes lung cancer) Amal Kumar Maj. The Wall Street JournaL June 7, 1995 pB6(W) pB6 (E) col 1(11 col in).

* taken from FATS THAT HEAL AND FATS THAT KILL by Udo Erasmus.

Compiled by Darleen Bradley.

Canola oil is a health hazard to use as a cooking oil or salad oil. It is not the healthy oil we thought it was, it is not fit for human consumption, do not eat canola oil, it can hurt you. Polyunsaturated or not, this is a bad oil, canola oil, do not use for cooking oil or salad oil, it is not fit for human consumption. It is not a healthy oil at all.

Ok it's me again. This kind of thing came up over and over again. It sure sounds like scarelore to me. In "Fit for life" they say similar things about milk. Does anybody know if it's true?

Here's the page I found it on:
http://www.dldewey.com/canola.htm

------------------
Meowth! That's right!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc Savage

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We did this one a while back...anyone remember where it is?

Doc "oily to bed, oily to rise" Savage

tdn
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdn   E-mail tdn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spaceweezil:
My daughter and her girls were telling jokes. Stephany hit her mom's arm with the back of a butter knife in a gesture, "Oh mom" not hard enough to hurt. My daughters arm split open like it was rotten. She called me to ask what could have caused it. I said, "I'll bet anything that you are using Canola oil". Sure enough, there was a big gallon jug in the pantry.

First off, let me state, for the record, HAHAHAHAHA!

The daughter hit the mother, and the daughter's arm split open? And when it did, this guy, instead of dialing 911, went looking for oil? What a loser...

t "oil bet that hurt" dn

Posts: 3800 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
huginn

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I found this doing a search on Canola Oil:

So, what we have here is one specious argument (equivalent: all traffic accidents involve cars, sedans are cars, therefore sedans cause traffic accidents) followed by five unverifiable personal anecdotes, and this constitutes evidence of an international conspiracy? It would seem that if Darleen's friends and family are all losing their hair and splitting open like rotten fruit, someone else would have noticed something by now. Maybe everyone else has been too sick from the chemtrails to notice.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My sister spilled Canola oil on a piece of fabric, after 5 pre-treatings and harsh washings, the oil spot still showed. She stopped using Canola oil, wondering what it did to our insides if it could not be removed from cloth easily.

Substitute "blood" for "Canola oil" in this sentence.

OH MY GOD! Can you imagine what blood is doing to our insides!

quote:
A friend who worked for only 9 mo. as a quality control taster, at an apple-chip factory where Canola oil was used exclusively for frying, developed numerous health problems including loose teeth; gum disease, gum and nail beds turned gray; numb hands and feet with cramps, swollen arms and legs upon rising in the morning; extreme joint pain especially in hands; cloudy vision; constipation with stools like black marbles; hearing loss; skin tears from being bumped; lack of energy; hair loss; and heart pains.

I wonder if the military knows about canola oil. Sounds like it's more effective than mustard gas.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dr. Dean Edell says it's a hoax. Dr. Dean is pretty good about researching things before he says something, but he rarely gives details, just "I looked into it and, trust me, it's hooey."

Here's an article about two different kinds of rapeseed--industrial and edible.

Kathy "oil be seeing you" B.

------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
Mike Quear, US Congressional staffer

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
spaceweezil

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the replys. If anyone can find it I'd LOVE to read the previous thread. The only thing I'm even remotely worried about is Canola oil going rancid quickly. I just made 3 lbs of lip balm with some canola oil in it and I'd hate for it to go "rancid." I have some that's over a month old and no signs of rancidity yet, but we'll see.
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tdn:
First off, let me state, for the record, HAHAHAHAHA!

The daughter hit the mother, and the daughter's arm split open? And when it did, this guy, instead of dialing 911, went looking for oil? What a loser...

t "oil bet that hurt" dn

Okay, I had to look twice at the original quote to get his, but the "mom" was the daughter of the guy who wrote this garbage --making the daughter who hit her mom with the butter knife the writer's granddaughter. Get it now?

Nonny

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nonny Mouse:
Okay, I had to look twice at the original quote to get his, but the "mom" was the daughter of the guy who wrote this garbage --making the daughter who hit her mom with the butter knife the writer's granddaughter. Get it now?

Nonny, I think you're right about the dramatis personae. And the reason the writer didn't call an ambulance is that he (she?) wasn't there, his daughter rang him up.

BTW, is Darleen Bradley the person all this happened to, or is she "compiling" other people's experiences?

Two other things bother me about the butter-knife episode. What does "like it was rotten" mean? That the arm was all oozy, smelly and pulpy like a rotten fruit? Or merely that the skin split easily? If the latter, "rotten" is an unnecessarily emotive description. If the former, I can only admire the victim, who simply "called me to ask what could have caused it" instead of rushing screaming for a doctor.

The other thing is, why mention the "big gallon jug in the pantry"? Couldn't mom simply say "Yes, I use Canola oil in every meal"? Is she so forgetful she had to check the pantry to see whether or not she used the stuff? Or did she deny it, only to have her pantry searched by Canolaman and her sorry tissue of lies exposed?

Kate "Crying rape[seed]" S.

[This message has been edited by Kate (edited 08-30-2000).]

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JenniePye

quote:
Two employees fed the waste product to baby calves and their hair fell out.

That is my favorite line in the whole piece. I just have one question: Why haven't we heard about the pending lawsuit in this case?? I can see the headline, now:

BALD FOLKS SUE EMPLOYERS FOR ROGAIN COSTS

Lost hair after feeding waste to baby calves, claim pair

Jennie "Might enjoy jury duty on this one" Pye

[This message has been edited by JenniePye (edited 08-29-2000).]

Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JenniePye:
That is my favorite line in the whole piece. I just have one question: Why haven't we heard about the pending lawsuit in this case?? I can see the headline, now:

BALD FOLKS SUE EMPLOYERS FOR ROGAIN COSTS

Lost hair after feeding waste to baby calves, claim pair

Uhm...I think they meant that it was the calves' hair that fell out...

Or did I misunderstand?

quote:
The other thing is, why mention the "big gallon jug in the pantry"?

Probably to indicate that they used a lot of it, presumably because they thought it was so safe. "Big gallon jug" provides a better mental image than "we use it in every meal." My question is, why hadn't this person told the daughter that canola oil was so dangerous if she already knew? Wouldn't your family be one of the first you'd tell if you found out about something like this? Why would she let them go on destroying themselves?

quote:
A friend who worked for only 9 mo. as a quality control taster, at an apple-chip factory where Canola oil was used exclusively for frying, developed numerous health problems...

Wouldn't all of the quality control tasters in all of the factories that make products with canola oil have the same problem? Why aren't we hearing about them? Or was it only this one apple-chip place? How do they know it was the oil and not something else causing it?

quote:
My sister spilled Canola oil on a piece of fabric, after 5 pre-treatings and harsh washings, the oil spot still showed. She stopped using Canola oil ,wondering what it did to our insides if it could not be removed from cloth easily.

I have a grape juice stain on a shirt that I haven't been able to get out for three years...Oh God...if it does that to my shirt, what's gonna happen to my insides?! And the mustard stain on that white blouse...That's it! No more grape juice or mustard in this house! It's gonna kill me!

We use canola oil often, and being the clumsy cook that I am it often ends up on my clothes, tea towels, oven mitts, etc. I've never had a problem getting it out. But maybe I'm just a laundry goddess.

Jenn "which wouldn't explain the grape juice and mustard, but still"

[This message has been edited by Jenn (edited 08-30-2000).]

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
spooky_rk

Whohoo! I get to make a meaningful contribution to a debunk!

*ahem*

OK, it seems that like all good pieces of scorelore, this one has a tiny germ of truth to it. But no more than that. I did a search for canola on the FDA website, and the first two documents that turned up related to the acceptance of canola as a food product, and some concerns about its safety as such.

From http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00265.html:

Canola
Andy Thostenson, founder of Spectrum Crop Development Corp., Ritzville, Wash., a canola expert, explains the plant that canola
comes from (which looks like a mustard plant) has been grown for centuries in Central Europe under its original name of rapeseed.

Long recognized as the premier marine steam engine lubricant, rapeseed was first grown in Canada during World War II when European supplies were cut off. But the war's end and the replacement of steam engines with diesels eliminated the need for rapeseed oil as a lubricant.

In addition, although it was used as a food in Canada and Europe, research on the long-term use of rapeseed oil as a human food was disturbing. In 1970, European researchers linked the erucic acid present in rapeseed oil with heart disease. The Canadian government announced it would quite likely end all rapeseed production unless these health concerns were addressed. By this time, two Canadian scientists were working to lower the erucic acid level.

The interest of Baldur Steffanson, Ph.D., University of Manitoba, and Keith Downey of the Agriculture Canada Research Station in Saskatoon was more than academic. Canadian farmers knew how to grow rapeseed, the crop thrived there, and it could wean the prairie provinces from their historic and often financially disastrous reliance on the boom or bust world wheat market.

The two scientists worked independently, but in consultation with one another. With thousands of rapeseed varieties to analyze, Downey and Steffanson saved considerable time by borrowing a novel and highly effective tool from another discipline: gas chromatography.

The petroleum industry's gas chromatography equipment was adapted to analyze the fatty acid composition of vegetable oils, which permitted 30 to 40 samples to be tested daily. "Using the old distillation method, it would have taken several lifetimes to locate the right genetic material," Steffanson said.

Steffanson and Downey announced in 1974 the development of the new rapeseed oil, in which the erucic acid had been replaced by oleic acid, a type of monounsaturated fatty acid. Then came a new name. According to Thostenson, canola is a contraction of "Canadian oil."

"It came onto the U.S. market at just the right time," says Thostenson, "just when everyone was concerned about saturated fats, and canola oil was the lowest."

During its first few years in the U.S. market, canola wasn't called canola---and it wasn't called rapeseed oil, either. It was called low erucic acid rapeseed oil (LEAR) and affirmed as generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by FDA in 1985. FDA also stated that the name "canola" could be used, but not without the words "low erucic acid rapeseed oil" or the abbreviation, "LEAR."

The Canola Council of Canada didn't like the term LEAR, preferring canola as more descriptive and better known. It petitioned FDA for permission to use canola all by itself.

FDA agreed in 1988 that canola alone could appear on the label for canola. Procter & Gamble became one of the primary marketers of canola in this country.

On the question of canola oil's claiming the lowest percentage of saturated fat of the vegetable oils, FDA oil expert, David Firestone, Ph.D., senior research chemist, division of pesticides and industrial chemicals, says: "I wouldn't say canola has the lowest amount of saturated fat of any vegetable oil, but it's certainly true of the edible oils available on the market."

Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are not associated with the increased risk of heart disease to the same extent as saturated fat, present in animal products and some plant sources such as coconut oil, palm kernel oil, palm oil, and cocoa butter. Other products with high amounts of monounsaturates include olive oil and high-monounsaturated forms of sunflower seed and safflower oils.

and from another document (sorry, could not find a base URL for this one, just what was returned from the search, and it was short, so I've quoted it in its entirety):

November 14, 1988

Canola Oil (Updates Talk Paper - T85-10)

FDA is proposing to allow an edible oil extracted from rapeseed to be called canola oil. The proposal, published in the Federal Register on Sept. 16, would recognize canola oil as an alternate common or usual name for low erucic acid rapeseed oil (LEAR oil), as it is identified in the United States. The following may be used to answer inquiries:

On Jan. 28, 1985, FDA approved rapeseed oil as GRAS (generally recognized as safe) for food use, providing it contains no more than 2 percent of erucic acid.

The proposal to permit it to be called canola oil responds to a petition from the Canola Council of Canada. Virtually all the LEAR oil used in the United States is imported from Canada, the world's leading producer of rapeseed.

FDA in its proposal agrees with the council that the term canola oil -- firmly established as the common name for the oil in Canada -- should also be used in the United States, in order to promote free trade and improve consumer understanding.

The American Soybean Association had opposed the name because Canada's 5 percent erucic acid standard was not as stringent as FDA's 2 percent limitation. However, Canada has sharply lowered the erucic acid content so there is no longer any conflict, and the Soybean Association now supports the
name canola oil.

-MORE-
Page 2

Rapeseed oil has been used for cooking for centuries in some parts of the world. Before 1971, however, oil prepared from rapeseed contained erucic acid in the range of 30 to 60 percent. In animal studies, these high levels had been associated with cardiac lesions. For this reason rapeseed oil was not generally used in the United States.

As a result of efforts begun in Canada during the 1960s, however, rapeseed varieties were bred that had a low erucic acid content. By 1978, all Canadian rapeseed produced for food use contained less than 2 percent erucic acid. The Canadian government officially named oil from these low erucic acid varieties as canola. The levels today range from 0.3 to 1.2 percent, with an average of
0.6 percent.

The oil, which is polyunsaturated, can be used by itself as a salad or vegetable oil. It is more commonly blended, however, with other vegetable oils to produce margarine, shortening, salad oil and vegetable oil.

Today, farmers in the United States are beginning to cultivate low erucic acid rapeseed plant experimentally or as a replacement for winter wheat, according to Robert Reeves, president of the Institute of Shortening and Edible Oils, based in Washington, D.C. He estimates that between 65,000 and 70,000 acres of low erucic acid rapeseed have been planted, mostly in Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana and Illinois, with smaller crops in eastern Missouri and northern Arkansas. As a spring crop, he added, approximately 5,000 to 10,000 acres have been planted in the Texas panhandle region.

Spooky "Canola? Dunno, you better ask'a" RK

------------------
'Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?'
Or am I just paranoid?

[EDIT: fixed up layout]

[This message has been edited by spooky_rk (edited 08-30-2000).]

tdn
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdn   E-mail tdn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nonny Mouse:

Ooooooohhhhhhh, OK. This is sort of like the "Out a gay doctor and get cured of AIDS" glurge, where the prose is something like "he knew that if he was gay then he should tell him that she was his only her."

Posts: 3800 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I use vegetable oil a lot, and I have spilled it on a shirt and some pants while making salad (yes I toss it, hehe). The clothes have been washed probably 20+ times since then and I've used stain remover it hasn't come out. Actually, I've had a dog DROOL on my clothes and the stain hasn't come out of a pair of pants. Oh gee drool must be dangerous stuff!!

Are we made of fabric?

Xia "stone washed"

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ManxyGal

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Best I can figure, the danger level would depend on how it's used. If you tried to breathe it, for instance, I can guarantee it would be quite toxic.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages