snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Forty year old virgin TV contest.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Forty year old virgin TV contest.
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 208 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard a few days ago that one of the European TV networks (possibly Spanish) intends to to a reality show where they find several forty year old male virgins and one experienced female, and lock them in a resort for a few days. A series of contests will eliminate them all until the lucky winner gets to ... well, I'm sure you can figure the rest out.
Has anyone else heard of this?.
I know European TV can be very raunchy, but I'm not sure they would go this far.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm. How do they confirm that someone's a virgin?
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shadowduck
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowduck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:

I don't suppose they'd really care, so long as it gets ratings. Unfortunately, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if such a program got made - or if it was a hit. *sigh*

--------------------
But of course, I could be wrong.

Posts: 858 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:

Prob look at the size of his comic book collection.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KennRice
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 604 posted      Profile for KennRice   Author's Homepage   E-mail KennRice   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe what you heard was part of the publicity for the movie The 40 Year Old Virgin.

Or a copy cat effort.

Ken

Posts: 140 | From: Arlington, VA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hug a Revolutionary

Isn't it amazing how Western culture illegalizes prostitution but then shows it on T.V.?
damsa

Not really, last time I checked, prostitution is sort of legal in Germany and definitely legal in the Netherlands.
Hug a Revolutionary

I knew it was in the Netherlands, didn't know about Germany.

Still, it amazes me how in the U.S. there's so much hypocrisy between what we'll show on T.V. and what we'll keep illegal or socially taboo. It's fine, both legally and socially, to have a T.V. show where men pick out women like puppies from a litter (and the other way around), but it's illegal for two consenting adults to have sexual contact if money's been exchanged for it. It's legal in most European countries to show a movie depicting rape and murder, but it's illegal to carry a gun for self-defense.

wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hug a Revolutionary:
I knew it was in the Netherlands, didn't know about Germany.

Still, it amazes me how in the U.S. there's so much hypocrisy between what we'll show on T.V. and what we'll keep illegal or socially taboo. It's fine, both legally and socially, to have a T.V. show where men pick out women like puppies from a litter (and the other way around), but it's illegal for two consenting adults to have sexual contact if money's been exchanged for it. It's legal in most European countries to show a movie depicting rape and murder, but it's illegal to carry a gun for self-defense.

aren't brothel's legal in some states of the US? I seem to remember Louis theroux doing a documentary from one last year.

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hug a Revolutionary

Prostitution's legal in Nevada, but nowhere else. It's a very strictly regulated "market" though.
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Prostitution is not legal in all of Nevada, only in certain counties and only in brothels. Prostitution is illegal in any county with a population over 400,000, which includes Clark County (which itself includes Las Vegas).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Nevada

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the same light, I heard recently that the idea of having a "Big Brother" type show with a strong sexual content is actually a copyrighted idea. This came up (no pun intended) when the most recent BB series started to get a bit frisky, and they got a warning about a potential copyright violation.
Not sure if it is true, it was in the paper, but there are a lot of weird ideas that people claim copyright on.

--------------------

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa

Ideas cannot be copyrighted, that's why you see so many reality TV shows.
Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Kilowatt   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is basically the concept for "Average Joe", minus the "locked in a house" bit, and without verifying the men's sexual knowledge.
Also "Average Joe" hedged its bets by bringing in the "studs" after a bit, forcing the insipid model to choose between a 30 year old socially awkward doofus and a 25 year old intellectually stunted frat boy. The highest of comedy was when one of the models chose her frat boy, and then got dumped by him when she told him she dated Fabio. I mean, who does he think he is, some dumbass physical trainer dumping a hot chick because she dated Fabio? Fabio's been on book covers, AND he got hit in the face with a goose on a rollercoaster, and what have you ever done, jackass?
Sorry. I obsess about that show. The funniest hour of TV since our local Fox affiliate stopped doing back to back Simpson reruns.

--------------------
The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
- Magnolia

Posts: 252 | From: East Greenwich, RI, what! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by damsa:

????????? Very surprising to hear this. How does a network protect its idea for a show then? Trademark I can understand, but surely their must be some sort of protection. (I know titles definitly can not be copyrighted).

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 601 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But specific expressions of ideas can be protected by copyright, and most reality TV shows are sufficiently specific expressions of ideas to fall under such protection.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa

quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
quote:
Originally posted by damsa:

????????? Very surprising to hear this. How does a network protect its idea for a show then? Trademark I can understand, but surely their must be some sort of protection. (I know titles definitly can not be copyrighted).
Networks protect their ideas via contracts, and non disclosure agreements. Also they protect titles with trademarks. You usually cannot trademark a title. But you can trademark the name with goods associated with the title.
damsa

quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
But specific expressions of ideas can be protected by copyright, and most reality TV shows are sufficiently specific expressions of ideas to fall under such protection.

- snopes

If there was a specific expression of an idea then it can probably protected. Certain aspects of reality shows can be protected.

Games concepts cannot be copyrighted but specific artwork can be. Thus someone can make a monopoly like game but they cannot use Boardwalk, Park Place etc, but they are free to make a game where you use dice and move about buying property.

Copyrighting games

Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tee Hee:
I mean, who does he think he is, some dumbass physical trainer dumping a hot chick because she dated Fabio? Fabio's been on book covers, AND he got hit in the face with a goose on a rollercoaster, and what have you ever done, jackass?

You, sir, have rofled my waffle. [lol]

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages