snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Lucielle Ball Burning Her Fake Nose On "I Love Lucy"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lucielle Ball Burning Her Fake Nose On "I Love Lucy"
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 501 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry I don't know the name of the episode, but there's one where she's wearing a fake (putty?) nose and when getting her cigarette lit, her nose catches on fire and she puts it out in her drink. I've heard two different versions of what happened - one says they planned it, and the other sys it happened by accident, and that's why they're shocked. Has anyone involved in the show ever admitted which version is true?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From a geocities site take with a grain of salt.

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/6066/lucyfaq.html
Q. I heard that the scene where Lucy's nose catches on fire in "L.A. at Last!" was an accident and not written in the script. Is this true?
A. Nope. William Holden was definitley supposed to set Lucy's putty nose afire in that episode. Lucy's dipping it in the coffee cup to put the nose out, though, was not in the script, that was an ad-lib.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems clear to me that it was intended. Why would she decide to smoke a cigarette just then unless it was supposed to add to the humor in some way? (Did she smoke regularly on the series?)
Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Top Kat:
(Did she smoke regularly on the series?)

Yes. Back then on most TV shows and movies most adult characters smoked. It is sometimes from our point of view quite shocking how much they did. (I felt the same way when I read ONIONS IN THE STEW. Lots of smoking--and Betty MacDonald was a former TB patient at this point; one would think that even back then she would have known better!)

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She actually did smoke more than once on the series -- it was the fifties when smoking was glamorous. I agree that there is no other reason she would be smoking at that exact second other than it being a set-up for the joke.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by guruwan2b:
From a geocities site take with a grain of salt.
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/6066/lucyfaq.html
Q. I heard that the scene where Lucy's nose catches on fire in "L.A. at Last!" was an accident and not written in the script. Is this true?
A. Nope. William Holden was definitley supposed to set Lucy's putty nose afire in that episode. Lucy's dipping it in the coffee cup to put the nose out, though, was not in the script, that was an ad-lib.

I know it's geocities and not to be trusted... it seems odd to me that the writers would script in a way to set her fake nose on fire and then not script in a way to put it out... Or maybe there was another way she was meant to do it.

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also read that Lucy likes everyone to think that a lot of ad libbing went on, but most of what happened was scripted.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always assumed it was pretty tightly scripted. TV was a pretty new medium then and I just supposed that they would want to keep it pretty well-planned.

Lucille Balls skills were as an actress. She could act "funny," but many people have said that she was not a particularly spontaneously funny woman in real life.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages