snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Bright Eyes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bright Eyes
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I heard that the song "bright eyes" By Garfunkel is about rabbits getting
run over crossing the street. Im not sure about this, and have listened to
the song many times, and i can kind of see it...

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If anything, I'd assume it's about rabbits getting shot and wandering off to die because HUMANS RUIN EVERYTHING, DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND MY DEEP MESSAGE?

...Sorry, literary rage got the better of me there.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this and other sources, it was in the movie "Watership Down," which was about a group of rabbits. So the person may have remembered the song from the movie. Not sure at this time if the song was written with that in mind or exactly what scene in the movie used it.

http://www.angelfire.com/celeb2/steogately/bright.htm

"Bright Eyes" was not a charted hit in the U.S. but spent six weeks as #1 in the U.K.

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the confusion here arises from the fact that a version of the song was recorded for the animation Watership Down, and it featured a rabbity video if memory serves.

The song itself is about death, with a few otherworldy themes, which suited it to Watership Down.

*Spanked by Bill

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StewPot
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StewPot   E-mail StewPot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It has been a few years, but I am fairly sure no rabbits got run over by cars in Watership Down (bulldozers, yes). The animated movie that features this song is a shortened, watered-down version of the book, and although there is death in the movie, IIRC it is not caused by automobile.

--------------------
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
-Frank Zappa

Posts: 135 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Linus Cornell
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linus Cornell   Author's Homepage   E-mail Linus Cornell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StewPot:
It has been a few years, but I am fairly sure no rabbits got run over by cars in Watership Down (bulldozers, yes). The animated movie that features this song is a shortened, watered-down version of the book, and although there is death in the movie, IIRC it is not caused by automobile.

The song is played at the end of the movie, when the hero, Hazel, dies peacefully of old age, running away to the rabbit's paradise together with the Black Rabbit of Death.
Posts: 17 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AND they played it when Hazel is shot by a farmer, and his brother Fiver goes looking for him.

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
richard b.
If you're gonna scream, scream with me.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richard b.   Author's Homepage   E-mail richard b.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
and it's not really all that watered down. i recommend watching it again.
Posts: 41 | From: West Palm Beach, Florida | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Kilowatt   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whenever people talk about a movie that should be remade, I always think about "Watership Down". The movie is OK, but I just think it could be done much better (of course, it would probably be done much worse, but maybe we could get Pixar on it?).
And I just realized right now that my favorite band (slash singer/songwriter Conor Oberst) may have taken their/his name from the theme from "Watership Down".

--------------------
The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
- Magnolia

Posts: 252 | From: East Greenwich, RI, what! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(of course, it would probably be done much worse, but maybe we could get Pixar on it?).

What exactly do you think Pixar could do to make a superior Watership Down? Aside from applying modern graphics...

Again we fall into the sticky mire that is comparing books to films when comparisons should not be made. For the time, the budget and the source material, they did a splendid job on Watership Down which, while admittedly falling short on a few aspects of the novel, is a superb animation in it's own right. God save us from a big-budget re-make [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages