snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Ministry, synth pop, and phony english accents?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ministry, synth pop, and phony english accents?
Devoltchka
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Devoltchka     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Obscure reference, but someone's gotta know....

1. is the figure maniacally gallivanting around looking like a bad cross between Adam Ant and Simon LeBon in the video for Ministry's 1983 song "revenge" longtime frontman Al Jourgensen....

here's a picture
(sorry, can't find an actual clip of the video)

and 2. is that him singing on the track??

I understand that in the early days the band flirted with synth pop and the result was an album that Al all but disowns and makes no reference to...that's forgivable, but I cannot for the life of me figure out if that is him in the video...and singing with a fake accent?? come on!

Even the native chicago ministry fans i know cannot answer this. any help is much appreciated.

[ 31. August 2005, 06:02 AM:   snopes ]

Posts: 6 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As for the Revenge track, yeah, I'm pretty sure that's him, simulated accent and all.

Various BB postings around the net and the Wikipedia entry give no reason to think that it's not him.

As for the picture, you know, that sort of does look a little like Al... add about 30 pounds or so, slap some sunglasses on him, a doorag and cowboy hat, sideburns, and a scowl...

I could believe it.

Of course, slap some sunglasses, a doorag, cowboy hat, sideburns and a scowl on anybody and they probably would like like him.

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Devoltchka
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devoltchka     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, though in my own defense if you've seen the video he looks about 100 times more ridiculously made up than this photo (and overacting to no end)...so kudos to him for doing a successful 180 on the 'new wave' image...if anyone can find a video still or clip for 'revenge' i'd be grateful...
Posts: 6 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages