snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Kids being suspended for going to a Backstreet Boys concert?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kids being suspended for going to a Backstreet Boys concert?
Andrea L.
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read in a book of music censorship history that three kids who attended some strange school in San Antonio, Texas, were suspended for attending a Backstreet Boys concert. Apparently, the school associated concerts with chaos and violence, to the point where the school was controlling every aspect of its students' activities, even those outside of school and off school hours. I just want to know if this is true, and why the school thought that going to a simple concert over the weekend or school holiday was so horrible. By the way, two of the kids were said to have served their suspension, the parents of the third kid withdrew him from the school.

[ 28. August 2005, 08:21 PM:   snopes ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jack Dylan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Dylan   E-mail Jack Dylan       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh shit. This is true.

livedaily.com Article

quote:
The students--two at high-school level, one at junior high-school level--were sent home for violating a school policy which forbids dancing and "involvement in inappropriate music,"
Forbids dancing? What the NFBSK?

--------------------
Eppis: Do you know why being a revolutionary doesn't work in this country? Being a revolutionary in America is like being a spoil sport at an orgy. All these goodies being passed around and you feel like a shit when you say no.

Posts: 294 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jtelson
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jtelson   E-mail jtelson   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As much as I hate to say this, the school was probably within its rights to do this. It was a private school, both the kids and the parents were aware of the school's behaivior policies, and they choose to ignore them. Silly rule (IMO) but one agreed to by everyone involved.

--------------------
"Eternal pain and damnation await those who question the unconditional love of God."-Bill Hicks (1961-1994)

Posts: 168 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 106 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Quick... buy the movie rights! Cue Kenny Loggins! It's Footloose II!

(The trick will be convincing the Backstreet Boys to cover "Holding Out For a Hero."

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Homsar999
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Homsar999     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or get them to Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat!

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!

jtelson: Yes, but a private school cannot regulate off-school hours. (That's not illegal?)

Posts: 95 | From: Gurnee, Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Homsar999: I'll bet that a private school can stipulate a whole lot of things as terms of enrollment that a public school could never and should never get away with.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crono
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crono   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crono   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This doesn't surprise me at all. The high school that I attended has rules about attending concerts. Back in the 80s, my brother got in trouble for going to a New Kids on the Block concert. Some of the more extreme Christian groups hold views that oppose such things, and their schools may not have a problem enforcing those beliefs on others.

Of course, I am also strongly opposed to the Backstreet Boys and New Kids on the Block, but for different reasons than these schools. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Disclaimer: I might know something about everything, but I don't know much about anything.

Posts: 293 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
monkey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know much about private high schools, as I went to a public one, but I do attend a private Christian university, and they basically try to control everything we ever do. We have to sign a code of conduct at the start of the term that has rules about all kinds of silly things. No drinking (even if you're of age), no dancing socially, no going to a place where there is drinking and dancing, even if you're not doing the drinking and dancing... I've been to a couple of concerts (Christian bands, even) at this venue that serves alcohol (at the bar, which is in a whole other area from where the concerts take place) and I know that if the administration knew I'd even been there, I could have been suspended. Silly. Oh, also, there's a dress code, and they expect you to follow it whether you're on campus or not. I'm not sure exactly what the administration would do if someone saw me at Wal-mart in a tank top, but I'm sure the consequences would be dire.

--------------------
http://sarahdwebber.wordpress.com/

Posts: 1490 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Priestley's Mouse
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Priestley's Mouse   E-mail Priestley's Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by musicgeek:
Quick... buy the movie rights! Cue Kenny Loggins! It's Footloose II!

(The trick will be convincing the Backstreet Boys to cover "Holding Out For a Hero."

I was thinking Rock-N-Roll High School myself...

"Detention for life!"

PM

--------------------
More about me...

Posts: 1156 | From: Rural Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Amazing Rando
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Amazing Rando   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Amazing Rando   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They're a private school, they can institute whatever requirements they like since enrollment is entirely voluntary, regardless of how silly those requirements are.
Posts: 417 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages