snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Cartoon Legends (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Cartoon Legends
susan_kerry
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan_kerry   E-mail susan_kerry   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Legends about cartoons (etc)- here are a selction, gathered from this board and the Snopes site and elsewhere. See how many more you can think of!!

Captain Pugwash- The names of the characters are all innuendos. Roger the Cabin Boy etc.

Teletubbies- Dead rabbits can be seen on set in some episodes.

Magic roudabout- Caracters would make openly sexual remarks " Time for bed " followed by erction noises.

Simpsons- The episode featuring Michael Jackson actually was Michael Jackson doing the voice.

Beavis and Butthead- the whole show originally just an advertising parody (of MTV viewers) but the ad was dropped and the characters kept.

Top Cat- Renamed "Boss Cat" in Britian because Top Cat was a brand name for catfood.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- Renamed "hero" in England because Ninja was inappropriate.

Posts: 320 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Phantom Phreak
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Phantom Phreak   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Phantom Phreak   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by susan_kerry:
Legends about cartoons (etc)- here are a selction, gathered from this board and the Snopes site and elsewhere. See how many more you can think of!!

Teletubbies- Dead rabbits can be seen on set in some episodes.

Simpsons- The episode featuring Michael Jackson actually was Michael Jackson doing the voice.

Top Cat- Renamed "Boss Cat" in Britian because Top Cat was a brand name for catfood.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- Renamed "hero" in England because Ninja was inappropriate.

Can't say I've ever watched enough Telletubbies to verify that, but wouldn't tons of parents have complained about dead rabbits? Michael Jackson did indeed voice himself in that episode and I don't think it's ever been disputed. Top Cat was Top Cat over here from what I remember, I had videos and such, all were labelled "Top Cat" and not "Boss Cat". And yes, the turtles were "hero" turtles over here.

--------------------
We have just gotten a wake-up call from the Nintendo Generation!

Posts: 225 | From: New York, no grass... | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The two british ones answered by a brit:

It's been top cat for as long as I can remember, I'd imagine the catfood makers gave them permission as it'd get them some minor free advertising.

The Turtles ones is true. Pratically every aspect of Ninjitsu is illegal without being licenced in the UK.

Another fact Numchuckas were banned because of TMNT in the UK and the BBFC (British board of film classification) would automatically slap an 18 on any film or game which contained them although this has been relaxed in recent years.

The reason? Numchuckas are hugely dangerous as a weapon to be used but also to untrained users. When TMNT came over here there were scores of children trying to use the weapons and breaking their own arms and knocking themselves out trying to wield the hard to use weapons without any training.

I know how easy it is to hurt yourself with them because I had a go with a set. I didn't do anything lasting but I did get a few painfull whacks on the head

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
susan_kerry
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan_kerry   E-mail susan_kerry   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding Top Cat, it wasn't a copyright issue with catfood makers but a product placement issue. Thats why its so daft. The legend comes from a TV show called Mary Whitehouse Experience, and their book (circa 1992).
I'm pretty sure the show itself was refered to as Boss Cat, whereas the charcter kept his name.

Remember it dates back as far as the early 60's!

Posts: 320 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If the Top Cat story is indeed a legend, it significantly predates 1992. I remember being told as a child that it was because the tv company couldn't use the name of a catfood. All very silly, though: the announcer would say "AND NOW, BOSS CAT!" followed instantly by the theme tune: "TOP CAT! Duhdeduhdede..."

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW, I seem to remember the Boss Cat/Top Cat discussion coming up in an off-topic forum on Britishhorrorfilms.co.uk's board, and I think it was just a change to the title.

Edit: found it here.

Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
susan_kerry
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Phreak:
Can't say I've ever watched enough Telletubbies to verify that, but wouldn't tons of parents have complained about dead rabbits?

Yeah, I think they did, which is where it came from. I remember some Morning Show presenter actually reading out a sample letter, showing the footage and claiming that because the set was so hot the rabbits got very sluggish and sleepy.
Boots - no longer muffin with honey
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Author's Homepage   E-mail Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remeber watching the Teletubbies when my neice was younger. Wouldn't all the pictures of the rabbits be Stock film, while live ones would be used when needed to be close to the Tubbies? I think they would've caught a dead one. Although, sleeping I can see...still, I would've thought they'd give it a nudge to make it a little more livelier.

--------------------
Come on! Ninja kick the damn rabbit!

Posts: 273 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BelleMorte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BelleMorte   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you watch the closing credits for the MJ episode of the Simpsons, his name does not appear as a special guest voice.

--------------------
"Cheating Hall Of Shame"-in honor of the dishonest.
Every driver, owner and crew chief has a place in our Hall, which won't be moving to Daytona Beach anytime soon. Lone exception? Kyle Petty, who hasn't won a race since 1754.

Posts: 545 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Le Mec
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard that characters in Peanuts were all suffering from mental diseases...?

Or represented ones.
ex: Schubert (the piano guy) autistic
Linus: Nevrotic

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erica:
If you watch the closing credits for the MJ episode of the Simpsons, his name does not appear as a special guest voice.

There was a reference to this in the "Itchy & Scratchy - The Movie" episode. Lisa is telling Bart about all the stars in the movie, she says that "they are uncredited, but you can tell it's them".

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Ronald

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
quote:

There was a reference to this in the "Itchy & Scratchy - The Movie" episode. Lisa is telling Bart about all the stars in the movie, she says that "they are uncredited, but you can tell it's them".
From the FAQ section of Simpsons' Archive:
quote:
Why did Michael Jackson and Dustin Hoffman not use their real names?

Contractual agreements. Michael provided the voice of the mental patient, but he was not allowed by his record company to sing or to be credited as himself. The significance of the name "John Jay Smith" isn't known.

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BelleMorte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BelleMorte   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah well. I guess I was wrong then.

--------------------
"Cheating Hall Of Shame"-in honor of the dishonest.
Every driver, owner and crew chief has a place in our Hall, which won't be moving to Daytona Beach anytime soon. Lone exception? Kyle Petty, who hasn't won a race since 1754.

Posts: 545 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
susan_kerry
Deck the Malls

no-one is wrong - its a legend!
susan_kerry
Deck the Malls

Thanks for the peanuts point- can alone else thing of other legends to do with cartoons?
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by melliferous muffin:
I remeber watching the Teletubbies when my neice was younger. Wouldn't all the pictures of the rabbits be Stock film, while live ones would be used when needed to be close to the Tubbies? I think they would've caught a dead one. Although, sleeping I can see...still, I would've thought they'd give it a nudge to make it a little more livelier.

(On the Teletubbies set):

Director: "The rabbit on stage left is looking a little sluggish. Can we do something about that?"

Stage Manager: "Sluggish rabbit on stage left. Frank? Can we jolt the bunny?"

Stagehand: "Jolting the bunny on three...two..."

Rabbit: "EEEE!"

La-La: "Ooooh..."

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vividly remember when I was a child in the mid-late 80s that some Top Cat cartoons were called Boss Cat, but some were called Top Cat. It used to confuse me. The theme tune still said 'Top Cat', and the characters referred to him as 'Top Cat' and 'TC', but the title read 'Boss Cat'. The rare times I've seen it since, it's been 'Top Cat' all the way. I've always thought it was due to some cat food sharing the name too - I've seen this referred to numerous times.

In case there's any confusion, the fact that it was renamed Boss Cat in the UK for a while is without question true, but I have no idea about whether the cat food thing is true or not - everywhere I've looked says it was renamed because of a cat food, so if this isn't true, there's a lot of people who are wrong.

-

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can confirm it's Top Cat now in England whatever it may or may not have been known as in the past. It's shown around the lunch hour on BBC2, often followed by The Munsters. Ah quality American programming [Wink] .

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Danvers Carew:
I vividly remember when I was a child in the mid-late 80s that some Top Cat cartoons were called Boss Cat, but some were called Top Cat.

The BBC agrees, although personally I don't remember it being called Boss Cat. But then, I couldn't stand the cartoon anyway.
Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No one mentioned "Jessica Rabbit with no underwear" yet.
Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rodh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rodh     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by susan_kerry:
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Phreak:
Can't say I've ever watched enough Telletubbies to verify that, but wouldn't tons of parents have complained about dead rabbits?

Yeah, I think they did, which is where it came from. I remember some Morning Show presenter actually reading out a sample letter, showing the footage and claiming that because the set was so hot the rabbits got very sluggish and sleepy.
It's not dead, it's just resting!
Posts: 403 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can confirm it's Top Cat now in England whatever it may or may not have been known as in the past. It's shown around the lunch hour on BBC2, often followed by The Munsters. Ah quality American programming.
Just getting y'all back for all those years of Are You Being Served?, Christie. [Wink]
Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abigsmurf:
The Turtles ones is true. Pratically every aspect of Ninjitsu is illegal without being licenced in the UK.

Another fact Numchuckas were banned because of TMNT in the UK and the BBFC (British board of film classification) would automatically slap an 18 on any film or game which contained them although this has been relaxed in recent years.

The reason? Numchuckas are hugely dangerous as a weapon to be used but also to untrained users. When TMNT came over here there were scores of children trying to use the weapons and breaking their own arms and knocking themselves out trying to wield the hard to use weapons without any training.

I know how easy it is to hurt yourself with them because I had a go with a set. I didn't do anything lasting but I did get a few painfull whacks on the head

Okay, I have to ask, where are the BSK getting all this nunchucks? They's illegal here (California) too, outside of a dojo, but ASFAIK there has never really been a huge rash of injuries.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why was it that the cartoon of Ghostbusters was called "Real Ghostbusters?"

I recall seeing a really low budget cartoon and related merchindise called Ghostbusters involving some ghost hunting teens and their gorilla sidekick. Did this cartoon exist before the Ghostbusters film, so they had to change the name of the cartoon version to "real ghostbusters"? Or did the other "Ghostbusters" some how avoid copyright and cash in? Or are they unrelated and there's another reason for the "real" prefix?

EDIT: According to wikipedia, it was due to a "a dispute with Filmation and their Ghost Busters properties". It doesn;'t seem to mention the cartoon with the gorilla.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Real_Ghostbusters

Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlueStar:
Why was it that the cartoon of Ghostbusters was called "Real Ghostbusters?"

I recall seeing a really low budget cartoon and related merchindise called Ghostbusters involving some ghost hunting teens and their gorilla sidekick. Did this cartoon exist before the Ghostbusters film, so they had to change the name of the cartoon version to "real ghostbusters"? Or did the other "Ghostbusters" some how avoid copyright and cash in? Or are they unrelated and there's another reason for the "real" prefix?

It was orrigionally called "Ghostbusters" but Slimer became the real star and they changed the name. Thats all I really know about that. My guess it that it was done to sound more hip or something.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, there is no "copyright" for a name. (Another legend of sorts.) It is possible to trademark a brand name, but most movies don't bother. (That's why you can sometimes find several similarly-titled movies on the Internet Movie Database.

The ripoff "Ghostbusters" (featuring a magic transforming car, a head ghost called "Prime Evil," and, yes, Tracy the gorilla) was the first Ghostbusters cartoon on the block. Since they were careful to avoid any elements of the Ramis/Murray/Akroyd movie other than the name, they were free and clear legally. When the licensed movie-spinoff cartoon debuted a few months later, they used "Real" in the title as a means of differentiating from the earlier cartoon while clearly implying how they felt about the ripoff of the title.

For the record, it was always "The Real Ghostbusters." A few seasons later it was changed to "Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters" and the format was changed to include a short segment, animated in a different style, that featured Slimer thwarting the efforts of a deranged ghost hunting professor.

(Boy, I must have wasted way too many Saturday mornings growing up!)

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently, the wikipedia article Blue Star referenced has been updated; it explains the whole thing. So the '84 film actually paid for rights to the title of a '75 live action series (gorilla and all) starring Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch? Who'da thunk it?

Anyway, back to the start of this thread... anyone remember the coke snorting "New Adventures of Mighty Mouse?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0161170/

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by musicgeek:

The ripoff "Ghostbusters" (featuring a magic transforming car, a head ghost called "Prime Evil," and, yes, Tracy the gorilla) was the first Ghostbusters cartoon on the block. Since they were careful to avoid any elements of the Ramis/Murray/Akroyd movie other than the name, they were free and clear legally. When the licensed movie-spinoff cartoon debuted a few months later, they used "Real" in the title as a means of differentiating from the earlier cartoon while clearly implying how they felt about the ripoff of the title.

Maybe not such a ripoff as I first thought - this site says that cartoon was based on a kids show that was called Ghostbusters that was around before the film of the same name:

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Ghostbusters

Last section, at the bottom.

This site has some info as well:

quote:
So why did they call the Ghostbuster cartoon, the REAL Ghostbusters? Some of you already know this, but while filming the first movie, the name Ghostbusters was found to belong to Filmation.
It seems, that in the 70s Filmation had produced a campy kids show
starring Larry Storch and Forrest Tucker

Filmation still had the name, so while an agreement was struck for the movie (money was likely involved) they wouldn't give up the cartoon rights, and so when it came time to make a cartoon based on the movies, Columbia had to call it the REAL Ghostbusters. Clever eh?

http://www.protoncharging.com/ghostbusters/fgb.shtml
Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sub-Contractor
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"We're the Ghooostbusters,
Spirits and demons beware.
We're the Ghooostbusters,
Whereever you're hiding out there.
"We're bold and we're fearless,
And never afraid...
With us on the job, troubles do fade,
The Ghostbusters do it again!!"
(edited for recovered memories)

That's all I remember from their live action theme song, yes I watched it growing-up. Mostly pratfalls, eye rolling gorilla face, and smartalect jokes. Think basically F-Troop type humor with an older Sarge and Corpral.

Didn't make a last impression, except for the song sung by Tucker and Storch.

Never saw the quicky cartoon series...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by musicgeek:
Actually, there is no "copyright" for a name. (Another legend of sorts.) It is possible to trademark a brand name, but most movies don't bother. (That's why you can sometimes find several similarly-titled movies on the Internet Movie Database.

For the record, it was always "The Real Ghostbusters." A few seasons later it was changed to "Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters" and the format was changed to include a short segment, animated in a different style, that featured Slimer thwarting the efforts of a deranged ghost hunting professor.

(Boy, I must have wasted way too many Saturday mornings growing up!)

Darn faulty memories!!! I could have swarn that it was renamed from Ghostbusters to the Real Ghostbusters. Gusee I was a bit confused. Oh well

*procedes to go to lonely corner to bang head as punishment*

Did "Bad Diddy!" dy

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
quote:

She specifically mentions that Dustin Hoffman (credited as Sam Etic in "Lisa's Substitute") and Michael Jackson (as mentioned under a pseudonym and with a voice double for the singing in "Stark Raving Dad") "didn't use their real names, but you could tell it was them." The fact that they are the real stars is confirmed on the audio commentary for both episodes.
Many of the earlier guest stars were reluctant to be credited on the Simpsons due to unease about how it would affect their careers. For instance Albert Brooks's first credit was simply "A. Brooks". Most of the early guest stars were doing it as favors to Jim Brooks, who had a ton of conections. Others had grandchildren who enjoyed the show.

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
susan_kerry
Deck the Malls

Oh, hey, I've got another one- Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble were Freemasons.

I rememember this being quoted followed by a trousers joke.

Thoughts?

Alistair
Billy, Don't Be a Hero Sandwich

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alistair   Author's Homepage   E-mail Alistair   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Top Cat was Boss Cat when I was nipper back in the 70s. Apparently because of the BBCs policy on product placement and advertising meant that the announcer couldn't say Top Cat as it was the brand name of a famous cat food in the 60s/70s era.
As to TMNT, it was a wonder that it was shown on the BBC at all. IIRC the BBC was going through a bad time ratings wise and they needed to boost ratings in the afternoon time-slot so they bought the rights to broadcast the toon, but they demanded on changing the name because of the violence linked to Ninjas- go figure.

Posts: 64 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alistair
Billy, Don't Be a Hero Sandwich

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alistair   Author's Homepage   E-mail Alistair   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh...by the way. There was never a Roger the Cabin boy on Captain Pugwash. It was Tom the cabon boy. The UL associated with Captain Pugwash was over a character called MAster Bates, that never existed. Check out the TV Cream website for the whole story.
Posts: 64 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boots - no longer muffin with honey
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Author's Homepage   E-mail Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alistair:
The UL associated with Captain Pugwash was over a character called MAster Bates, that never existed.

Exactly, he was called Master Mate (if I'm correct)

quote:
Also posted by Alistair:
Check out the TV Cream website for the whole story.

Or you can just check snopes television page [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Horse With No Name Brand Chestnut:
quote:
Originally posted by melliferous muffin:

(On the Teletubbies set):

Director: "The rabbit on stage left is looking a little sluggish. Can we do something about that?"

Stage Manager: "Sluggish rabbit on stage left. Frank? Can we jolt the bunny?"

Stagehand: "Jolting the bunny on three...two..."

Rabbit: "EEEE!"

La-La: "Ooooh..."

Yes!! That would've made the show a hell of a lot more interesting...maybe I'd actually still watch it today. Wait, no...probably not [Big Grin]

--------------------
Come on! Ninja kick the damn rabbit!

Posts: 273 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages