snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Super Mario

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super Mario
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 08 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I sure you've heard of the Super Mario
Bros. video game series. Will theres the game Super Mario Bothers 2 for
Nintendo, came out in 1988, I think I remember one of the bosses in the
game was a transvestite.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kauna
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kauna   E-mail Kauna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's Birdo who was a boy but thought he was a girl(or wanted to be a girl). He's still featured in the new Mario games but they've changed his gender so it's not weird for kids and gave him a new name. I can't remember what the new name is though. I think it's Charlette or something. Birdo

--------------------

Posts: 17 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So in other words: Birdo was a boy who thought he was a girl, but we knew it wouldn't last. Get back, Birdo...
Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Birdo has changed name? That's news to me... I'll have to check the next time I play the Double Dash, I know for sure he was called Birdo up until the SNES RPG at least.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trialofmiles
Congo Your Own Way

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trialofmiles   E-mail trialofmiles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris J, off on a tangent:
So in other words: Birdo was a boy who thought he was a girl, but we knew it wouldn't last. Get back, Birdo...

Clever.

Now I got that song stuck in my head.

Birdo left his home in Tucson, Arizona
For some California grass.

--------------------
Good morning, fellow employee. You'll notice that I am now a model worker. We should continue this conversation later, during the designated break periods. Sincerely, Homer Simpson.

Posts: 371 | From: Connecticut | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No no you got it wrong. THe whole affair was half a joke and hald based upon poor translation of the origional manual. THe idea was that Birdo was a boy who thought it was a she.

Since the re-release of SMB 2 for teh Game Boy, it was straitened up that Birdo was in fact female.
All Current Nintendo Sites identify her as Birdo and they like to keep info on her hush hush.

From Nintentdo's FAQ forums (and by a mod there):
quote:
Q: Is Birdo a girl or a guy? What about Yoshi?
A: Birdo is in fact a girl. In the manual for Super Mario Bros. 2, it was stated that she was a guy that dressed like a girl. It's since been learned that she is in fact a girl. Whether NOA made a mistake in the SMB2 manual, or they just needed a girl to pair with Yoshi is unknown. As for Yoshi, a common question is "If he's a guy, how can he lay eggs?" I'm not sure if there's a clear answer. I've always heard it this way: Boy Yoshi's can lay eggs, but only girl Yoshi's eggs can hatch. I don't know if Nintendo has an official response, however.

Source

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't we just go to the source, and ask the guy who invented Mario?

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crono
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crono   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crono   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the game Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Birdo is very clearly a girl. She even falls in love with a character named Popple (although the romance is short-lived). She asked him to call her "Birdie," although her real name is "Birdo." There's more information about her in The Super Mario Character Guide, which can be found at GameFAQs. Note that there are many inconsistencies in the Mario series, especially when characters or storylines get reused, so it's possible that Birdo was originally intended to be a boy, but Nintendo later decided to make her a girl.

--------------------
Disclaimer: I might know something about everything, but I don't know much about anything.

Posts: 293 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chillas:

SMB2 in America and SMB2 in Japan are different games. SMB2 looked a lot like SMB1 but a lot harder. So for SMB2 in America they used Mario sprites for a totally different game. Doki Doki. They got around this travesty of Mario continuity by the lamest of plot devices, the dream sequence. Therefore, it doesn't matter what birdo/birdee was. SMB2 is not in Mario canon.

Maybe Yoshi is related to seahorses where the males give live birth.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ian - Crawling on a Mirror
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian - Crawling on a Mirror   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by damsa:
quote:

SMB2 in America and SMB2 in Japan are different games. SMB2 looked a lot like SMB1 but a lot harder. So for SMB2 in America they used Mario sprites for a totally different game. Doki Doki. They got around this travesty of Mario continuity by the lamest of plot devices, the dream sequence. Therefore, it doesn't matter what birdo/birdee was. SMB2 is not in Mario canon.

Except that the continuity was shot to hell anyway, because other enemies (such as the Shyguys), along with Birdo herself show up in other games.

Also, later on the US SMB2 was released in Japan as "SMB2 USA" or something to that effect.

(And the original game was Dream Factory: Doki Doki Panic.)

--------------------
"I told you I didn't do it!" - Mr. Green

THATCHRUEF Network! Updated 9/29!

Posts: 113 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I was making a joke that fell flat ... the "I invented Mario" guy who posted here for a very brief time.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Note that the "original" SMB2 was eventually released in the US as "The Lost Levels", though I'm not sure if it was released as a stand-alone game or as a bonus to other games. I'm about certain it's on the "All Star" cartridge for the SNES.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:
Note that the "original" SMB2 was eventually released in the US as "The Lost Levels", though I'm not sure if it was released as a stand-alone game or as a bonus to other games. I'm about certain it's on the "All Star" cartridge for the SNES.

Yes it was released in the All Stars" package which I still own for the SNES.

And since Birdo has appeared in other games (most recently Super Mario Double Dash for the Game Cube, as well as Mario Tennis and I think the Mario Golf game as well.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crono
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crono   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crono   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Actually, SMB2 is very much considered Mario cannon. Even in the Japanese games, characters from SMB2 have appeared in other SMB games. Of course, the Mario "cannon" doesn't mean a whole lot since there's little continuity in the story anyway, but the characters in SMB2 are considered official Mario characters.

As for the Yoshis, Nintendo's current take on them is that all Yoshis can lay eggs, but only female Yoshis can lay eggs that can hatch.

--------------------
Disclaimer: I might know something about everything, but I don't know much about anything.

Posts: 293 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the crazy characters in the game were A Sexual including Birdo and Yoshi. [Eek!]

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course, the Mario "cannon" doesn't mean a whole lot since there's little continuity in the story anyway, but the characters in SMB2 are considered official Mario characters.

As for the Yoshis, Nintendo's current take on them is that all Yoshis can lay eggs, but only female Yoshis can lay eggs that can hatch.

I too was trying to make a joke. But maybe Yoshi is one of those dinosaurs that changes sex like in Jurassic park.

ETA: Since you were correcting my spelling. It's spelled Canon.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kauna
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kauna   E-mail Kauna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Birdo has changed name? That's news to me... I'll have to check the next time I play the Double Dash
No, that was my mistake. My boyfriend corrected me. Her name is Birdo but her Japanese name is Karen. That's what I was thinking of. Sorry. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 17 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crono
Deck the Malls

quote:
ETA: Since you were correcting my spelling. It's spelled Canon.

I really need to do better spell-checking! Thanks for the correction.

Cro "Maybe it's spelled 'cannon' in the Mario universe" no

--------------------

Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crono:

Cro "Maybe it's spelled 'cannon' in the Mario universe" no

That would make sense considering there are plenty of cannons in the Mario universe! [Big Grin]

I never noticed whether Birdo was a boy or a girl... Actually I didn't even realize who this thread meant by "Birdo" until I read the description-- I do remember the character that threw eggs in the game but I didn't know the name of it. I still have my original Mario Bros. games and my NES by the way! [Razz]

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages