snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Soupy Sales and the stripper

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Soupy Sales and the stripper
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 601 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We all know about Soupy Sales' getting a fortnight's hiatus for telling kids to send him "slips of paper with pictures of Washington and Lincoln on them" on his show.

As if that weren't good enough, a friend of mine recalls an incident where Soupy Sales got lured by White Fang to a stripper, and en deshabille @ that, offstage on one of his shows.

Any truth to this?

And can anyone shed further light on this supposed incident?

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This seems pretty accurate:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0758130/bio

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like a little independent verifcation... IMDB is not the most reliable source.

That being said, that's one of those stories that just "should be true" even if it's not.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 16 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see that there's really any doubt over this, given that a film clip of the incident exists (with the woman's breasts covered by a suitable black bar, of course).

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this clip on t.v. years ago in the 80's, I think on TV's Bloopers and Practical Jokes. (Part of "Old practical jokes of t.v.'s past" type segment.) There's a doorbell noise or a knock on the door, and there's a stripper behind the door (Not in the kid's view), and he was just laughing his butt off. They definately did play the strip music to it, and they did show a camera angle of the stripper (Black barred, as noted.). Obviously, they didn't broadcast the camera shots of the stripper when the show came out. My memory's hazy on this, but I think she was one of those balloon strippers. (Again, I saw this clip in the mid 1980's...)

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen the clip as well, no black bar, in an old "uncensored TV bloopers" VHS tape we had many years ago (and may still have somewhere).
Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gothixgirl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gothixgirl   E-mail gothixgirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i have an old tape called "uncensored hollywood tv bloopers" or something along those lines, the whole scene is shown from both perspectives, no black bar and she is holding a balloon i recall, there seem to be people that work on the show directing the action behind her.
Posts: 28 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I worked at WXYZ, one of the old-timers there told me about the incident. The footage of the stripper was shot by one of the news cameramen (everything was done on film back then) who was in on the joke.

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Very well then... I humbly withdraw my skepticism. [Smile]

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages