snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » The Story ended for Artax

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Story ended for Artax
Marzi
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 81 posted      Profile for Marzi   E-mail Marzi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all! Im new, and I wanted to post a question, I doubt this is true in anyway, but I wanted to seek your opinion. In the movie The Never Ending Story there is a scene where the horse gets stuck in a mud pit and drowns. I have resently heard that while filming that scene the lifts that were supposded to bring the horse back up failed and the horse really did drown!

Thoughts anyone?

-Marzi

Posts: 59 | From: Niagara Falls, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't heard about the horse dying, but Noah Hathaway was hurt twice during the making of the movie. During his horse riding training he was thrown off a horse which then stepped on him. Then during the shooting of the drowning sequence in the "swamp of sadness" his leg got caught on the elevator and he was pulled under water. He was unconscious by the time he was brought to the surface.

ETA: Welcome to snopes!

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't the ASPCA have kicked up a huge ruckus if the horse had drowned?

kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
petre
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for petre   E-mail petre       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That was my thinking exactly. I went to the American Humane Association website to see their take on it. The movie was filmed in Germany though so they didn't get involved. Often they will list a "believed" rating based on what they could see in the movie, but no such rating is listed for this one.

I did find a short discussion on a message board where a person claimed video could be found on the internet showing the horse going down and the aftermath of the crew trying to save it. I've asked for a link or some guidance in finding such videos but no response just yet.

Since this information doesn't even appear on imdb (which tends to list even rumors about a film as fact in the trivia section) I'm leaning towards 'false' at the moment. I'd be on the fence but for the fact that they also had trouble with the underwater lifts when the boy had to be rescued. I have no idea which scene was filmed first, but after either accident I'd expect extra measures would have been taken to greatly reduce the chances of problems of a second one.

Posts: 257 | From: In front of a computer | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
petre
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for petre   E-mail petre       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The AHA site has some interesting info about movies. Those squeemish about bugs should stay far away from this link but...

it seems some people really do care about protecting ALL animals

Posts: 257 | From: In front of a computer | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
petre
Deck the Malls

Still digging. There's this site that talks about the scene and doesn't say anything about the horse dying:

http://141.24.37.187/paulchen/prod/swamp/eswamp.htm

Cubism artist
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Petre's link:
quote:
Of these three scenes, the scene of Artax's death is the most moving and dramatic one of the whole movie. The parts of the scene where Atreyu leads Atrex through the Swamp were relatively easy to shoot, but problems arose in the part where Artex is overwhelmed by hopelesness and slowly sinks into the mud to a certain death while Atreyu calls out to his friend not to give up and to keep on fighting.

Bordering on cruelty to animals, the horse portraying Artax was chained to a lifting platform which could slowly be lowered into the swamp. To ensure that the horse would not be mentally damaged, he was carefully trained for weeks by horse coach Tony Smart. In addition, a deep ditch was dug between the accommodation halls and filled with water through which the horse was led again and again.

The training was nevertheless insufficient, as R. Eyssen tells in his book, for the horse did not let the sadness of the swamp get to him and he did not go down without a fight. With an energetic jerk of the heading, the horse caused Noah to splash into the swamp and hurt his leg to the edge of the lifting platform. As dirty as he was, Noah was immediately driven to the hospital. The physician on duty must really have been surprised to treat a mudd-covered Indian boy carried by a man in a white paper suit and hearing a tale about lifting platforms, swamps and horses. Fortunately Noah was back on the set after a mere two days.

It seems very detailed, an incident did happen, but not the Artax death. And if they managed it with a lifting platform it seems less likely for Artax to completely sink. I don't think the OP is true.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages