snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Who is Lucretia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who is Lucretia?
Hammerhead
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hammerhead   E-mail Hammerhead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the song "Lucretia my reflection" by The Sisters of Mercy who is the Lucretia referred to? I would have asked on their site but they dont seem to have a forum?

--------------------
All that exists is atoms and empty space, everything else is just opinion -Democratus

Posts: 20 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lucretia Borgia perhaps?

Just wondering.

Barbara

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cosmo
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cosmo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
well what does 'Dance the Ghost with me?' mean?

I looked in my old copies of Heartland and my Sisters of Mercy book, but they reveal nothing. There's an Andrew Eldritch lyric book called "Living Above the Chemist" that might reveal Lucretia, Marianne, and Dr. Jeep's identity.

--------------------
"Look at the size of Tifa's breasts! They're destroying our childrens future!"

Posts: 92 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sliceable Kitty
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sliceable Kitty   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sliceable Kitty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you could ponder Sisters of Mercy lyrics all day.
I've often wondered about the Fifty-Two daughters of the revolution.

I've never heard of the lyrics book, Cosmo. I suppose its very difficult to get?

Posts: 130 | From: West Bend, WI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know what it all means, but could the 52 daughters... be referring to the founding (and then subsequent)women used to found the Daughters of the Revolution in 1908?

Could Lucretia be about Lucretia Mott? (http://www.mott.pomona.edu/)? I have to go back and listen to the song again to see if it has anything to do with slavery...

I don't have the book, so these are all way out there guesses--but could Dr. Jeep have anything to do with http://www.mjoc.org.au/drjeep.htm , the inventor and creator of the Jeep?

I know SoM are very political (and so non-goth they are virtually *the* goths)...

I do love them though, I've seen them live and they put on one hell of a show.

**eta**
wow, I might be right on with Dr. Jeep.. Seeing as the Jeep was invented for the purpose of the war, and the lyrics to the song are basically taking a stab at the war....
http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.com/lyrics/drjeep.htm

I *might* be right about lucretia, too.

Interesting....

**eta again**

Dance the ghost... might be this:

Ghost Dance n.
Either of two group dances associated with a messianic religious movement among Native American peoples of the Southwest and Great Plains in the late 19th century. Ghost dance prophets foretold the imminent disappearance of whites, the restoration of traditional lands and ways of life, and the resurrection of dead ancestors.

And the words for the 52 daughters are:
(From Dominion)
"I'm living in films for the sake of Russia
a kino runner for the DDR
and the fifty-two daughters of the revolution
turn the gold to chrome"

All I am getting for "a kino runner for the DDR" is someone who dances on Dance Dance Revolution--it's some type of fast-paced, drug induced dance. Doesn't sound right, but might have something to do with the fact that he says he is "living in films"....

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hammerhead
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hammerhead   E-mail Hammerhead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the song Dr.Jeep has to do with the Vietnam War since they talk about Saigon and napalm and stuff.

--------------------
All that exists is atoms and empty space, everything else is just opinion -Democratus

Posts: 20 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 218 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Moon Shadows:
And the words for the 52 daughters are:
(From Dominion)
"I'm living in films for the sake of Russia
a kino runner for the DDR
and the fifty-two daughters of the revolution
turn the gold to chrome"

All I am getting for "a kino runner for the DDR" is someone who dances on Dance Dance Revolution--it's some type of fast-paced, drug induced dance. Doesn't sound right, but might have something to do with the fact that he says he is "living in films"....

Well, for me DDR refers to the Deutsche Demokratische Republik. And as to Lucretia, my first thought was this Lucretia. It could make sense since her plight was the rallying point to overthrow the Roman king and establish a republic. Or maybe not. [Wink]
Brian

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You could be right (probably are).. I just know that Eldritch is very politically vocal, both of America and his land.

I just know that his music is pretty politically motivated (that is, in a sense...not literally)..

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Trey
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always had the thought that Dr. Jeep was about the media twisting of wars. Brain B I think you
hit on the head for the other 2. Speaking of SOM where the hell are they ? I know they broke free of the Warner contract that binded them and in 2001 promised a single to come soon.......... and then nothing since !!!!!!!!
Mr Dead

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sliceable Kitty

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sliceable Kitty   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sliceable Kitty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All I am getting for "a kino runner for the DDR" is someone who dances on Dance Dance Revolution--it's some type of fast-paced, drug induced dance.
DDR as in Dance Dance Revolution is an arcade game from Japan circa, eh...I want to say about 1999. In any event, that's not it.

Anyway, here's a pretty neat discussion of various SoM lyrics:
Sisters Lyrics

Posts: 130 | From: West Bend, WI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cosmo
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cosmo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Living Above the Chemist" was being sold on the 1998 Event Horizon tour. I had a couple SoM newsletters that offered it for sale also.

There's still no sign of the new Sisters single. At their Philly show in 1998/1999 they played a handfull of new songs and Andy E. said "This will be on our new album" From what I remember, the single was supposed to have been released April or May of 2000 and then the full length would have been released that summer. That's what their then-guitarist (forget his name, but he was in Red Lorry Yellow Lorry) told me. He left the band though between when I saw them in 1998 and when I saw them again in 2000. That time I saw them I was pretty dissapointed, there was definately something lacking.

SoM actually sent a horrible collection of just drum beats and noise to Warners just as a contract-breaker and I remember it being available for download somewhere.

--------------------

Posts: 92 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ct
Noah's Lark

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ct   E-mail ct   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
"Living Above the Chemist" was being sold on the 1998 Event Horizon tour. I had a couple SoM newsletters that offered it for sale also.

There's still no sign of the new Sisters single. At their Philly show in 1998/1999 they played a handfull of new songs and Andy E. said "This will be on our new album" From what I remember, the single was supposed to have been released April or May of 2000 and then the full length would have been released that summer. That's what their then-guitarist (forget his name, but he was in Red Lorry Yellow Lorry) told me. He left the band though between when I saw them in 1998 and when I saw them again in 2000. That time I saw them I was pretty dissapointed, there was definately something lacking.

SoM actually sent a horrible collection of just drum beats and noise to Warners just as a contract-breaker and I remember it being available for download somewhere.

You were at the Philly show too? I actually flew out there from Olympia, WA to see it (I was the guy *not* in all black ;-) ).

In regards to that contract-breaker track (it really sucks, btw), I have a copy. Email me if you're interested.

Posts: 77 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vampyrviolia
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vampyrviolia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just have to say I love Sisters of Mercy! [Big Grin] I must listen to my itunes!

--------------------
Hey, check out my dads website -- www.eastcountyhwy.com
He grooms dogs too.

Posts: 1593 | From: Bedias, TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sliceable Kitty

I actually wasn't specifically looking for it, but I typed in Sisters of Mercy on eBay as I do from time to time and I found this:

Postcards from Above the Chemist

Is that the book you are talking about? I haven't noticed it on eBay before.

Cosmo
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Originally posted by ct:You were at the Philly show too? I actually flew out there from Olympia, WA to see it (I was the guy *not* in all black ;-) ).

In regards to that contract-breaker track (it really sucks, btw), I have a copy. Email me if you're interested. [/QB]

Heh, no thanks I heard it once before and that was quite enough [Smile]

I wasn't there in Philly, but I heard the tapes of the show. The new songs were called "Drug War", "Summer", "We Are the Same Suzanne", and "Will I Dream?"

Tina from Switchblade Symphony told me about some of the troubles that they had opening up for them. I belive another band was to open also, but they were "too goth" for Andy. Another friend of mine told me about the roadies who would run around and try to score speed for Mr. Eldritch.

--------------------

Trey
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah the sisters dont like being considered Goth,
Alot of the music I like can fall into that catagory (the cure, DM , old Cult0 Always thought it was silly........ whocares anyways, Id love to see a new SOM ablum, I thnk Mr ELdrich has burned all his bridges tho , seems nearly every one he has worked with has some issue with him.. Wayne Hussey, Patricia Morrison, Tony James. I hate to say I think we have seen the last of him
mr dead

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cosmo
I Saw Three Shipments

He came out a few years ago and said Patricia Morrison didn't play a note on 'Floodland'. She confronted him about it and he went all "no no there's been a horrible mistake! i was misquoted!"

--------------------

DaBrudders
A Rolling Stone Gathers No Kate Moss

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaBrudders   E-mail DaBrudders   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never mind Lucretia, who the f*ck is Alice? [Big Grin]
Posts: 40 | From: Germany | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages