snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Just who the NFBSK is Alice?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just who the NFBSK is Alice?
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Song "Alice" (done by many bands, but I believe it was originally the band Smokey), it talks about a man who's life long love leaves town (with another man?), but it is never explained who this "Alice" is in reality. In fact, later versions of the song actually have the line "Alice? Who the NFBSK is Alice?" in between the chorus and verse.

Anyone know if Alice was real person, or just a random name chosen for the song?

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Samuel Jones
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fictional lie:

Anyone know if Alice was real person, or just a random name chosen for the song?

Why you askin' us?

Go ask Alice, I think she'll know...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
petre
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for petre   E-mail petre       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Jones:

Nah, she left to pursue a career in the domestic sector and ended up with the Bradys. Poor guy lost a real gem there.
Posts: 257 | From: In front of a computer | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rockland6674
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 106 posted      Profile for rockland6674         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fictional lie:

"Living Next Door to Alice" lyrics.

My guess is that it's just a random name they chose. It could just as easily have been "Linda" or "Susan," but "Alice" sounded better.

Posts: 934 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by petre:
quote:

Nah, she left to pursue a career in the domestic sector and ended up with the Bradys. Poor guy lost a real gem there.
No, no, no. She moved just a half-mile from the railroad tracks, bought an old church and a nearby restaurant. It's just around the back.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lindiglo
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
quote:
Originally posted by petre:
quote:

No, no, no. She moved just a half-mile from the railroad tracks, bought an old church and a nearby restaurant. It's just around the back.

Pogue

A YOMANK for each of you.
I think it's just the "sounds better" explanation. Like "Gloria", and most other "name" songs.

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure All the young girls who love Alice will be glad to answer your question for you...

Sorry, just had to get my Alice quote in there.

[fish]

-mrs.hi-c

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abby 68
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 05 posted      Profile for abby 68   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Better Yet Why is she leaving in a Big Limo?
Posts: 1932 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ask me now, I understand the words that Alice said.

David "Please tell me someone knows that reference..." Anderson

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Alice is just a name the song writer(s) pulled out of thin air. It need not be any real-life individual he/she/they knew personally.

A lot of songs have names in them. The name can be that of a real-life person the song writer knew, but it can also be just a name they thought up to tell a story about.

There was a song the Beach Boys recorded in 1966 about the same time "Gloria" came out. It was entitled "Barbara Ann." That my name. However, that doesn't mean it was about me! A dual group recorded the song several months earlier, but it was a flop. The Beach Boys version was a hit success.

"Bar-Bar-Bar-Bar-Barbara Ann!"

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KingDavid8:
Ask me now, I understand the words that Alice said.

David "Please tell me someone knows that reference..." Anderson

They Might Be Giants - "Why Must I Be Sad?"

And I love the Alice song. I have about four different versions of it. [Smile]

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman
Harshmallow World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Author's Homepage   E-mail plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The version of "Alice" with the chorus interspersed with the line "Who the NFBSK is Alice?"
was a "novelty " version recorded by Smokie, and a comedian from the UK called Roy "Chubby" Brown.

Chubby's material is NFBSK and then-some. Most of it is "blue", he uses the F* , the B*, and the C* word liberally. He is quite vulgar, and often sexist.

He is a very funny man, if you can be broad minded enough to cope with the bad language and the blue jokes. His on-stage persona is brash, and quite different from the polite softly-spoken man, off-stage who "plays the part of Chubby".

He is very popular, in the UK and in Australia. his shows are sell-outs.

Talk

--------------------
...Can you tell tripe from truth?

Don't be an ignoranus:- an ignoranus is someone who is both stupid, and an ars*hole!

Posts: 1833 | From: The West Riding of God's-own county: Yorkshire UK | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hound Of The Binkervilles
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More tivia: Roy "Chubby" Brown's real name is Royston Vasey. The BBC's The League of Gentlemen named their village after him. He appeared in an episode as the Mayor.
His stage show is certainly not for the faint hearted, or the politically correct!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was also done live by Aussie comedian Kevin 'Bloody' Wilson, whose humor is in roughly the same ballpark as what you described in 'Chubby'.
Must be that Aussie charm?

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Barbara R said:
However, that doesn't mean it was about me!

I bet you don't think that song is about you, you're so modest...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just realised I can answer the question, too. Alice is the daughter of a friend of mine, and she was born on Saturday 16th weighing 8lb 9oz.

The singers are confused because the song was written 28 years before she was born - clearly they couldn't have known who she was.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages