snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » America's first inspirational song after 9/11/01 (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: America's first inspirational song after 9/11/01
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 201 posted      Profile for Coal Glow Kidd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cervus, Thanks a bunch, and I still do'nt know how you snopesters do that link. This site must have been where a long ago link took me. Run Like Hell's and whoever's compilation was excluded, but the Floyd song has no relation to terrorisim like we all know,....as noted by TrishDaDish. Urban Legend stuff!

--------------------
So if you're tired of the same old story,....Oh, turn some pages. REO Speedwagon from Champaign,Urbana, Illinois.

Posts: 73 | From: Evansville, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also remember that during the run-up, and even more during the heavy fighting in Afghanistan, the local radio stations semed to be playing Metallica's "King Nothing" a lot. I may even have heard it dedicated to Osama.

quote:

Careful what you wish
You may regret it
Careful what you wish
You just might get it

Then it all crashes down
And you break your crown
And you point your finger
But there's no one around

Just want one thing
Just to play the king
But the castle's crumbled
And you're left with just a name

Where's your crown, King Nothing?

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
I don't know about that one. Once, when I was in high school, a radio station was bought out and changed format. Before it changed hands, for a full week, all it played was the Funeral March, Pink Floyd's "Time", and "You Light Up My Life". Over and over and over. A whole week of three songs.

MTV2 rang up the Millenium Eve by playing nothing but Prince's-1999 All. Day. Long.
Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 201 posted      Profile for Coal Glow Kidd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the posts here about "Run Like Hell"; Like Hell was not in the lyrics. The title alone, along with the serious sounding singing from Pink Floyd, had to have been the compilation designer's reason for their choice of The Wall's song. I would like to have been in Berlin at the Pink Floyd concert, and helped 250,000 fans sing "Run Like Hell". I've heard the concert's live recording of all attendees singing. Roger Waters can be heard,..barely. I heard the compilation once as noted above; a friend heard it twice. How many times did you hear it? It will be interesting to see how long this "Yes! I heard it!" response takes. FYI; I will keep this on page one until then. The drifting of threads amaze me! Sometimes they turn into gossip thats way off topic !......CGK

--------------------
So if you're tired of the same old story,....Oh, turn some pages. REO Speedwagon from Champaign,Urbana, Illinois.

Posts: 73 | From: Evansville, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JR
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR   E-mail JR       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny.. Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" got a lot of radio play on the rock stations around here. I don't think it was just for Saddam that they were playing it.

--------------------
Semper ubi sub ubi

Posts: 1175 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about "Rock the Casbah"? I would think someone had to have been playing that. The only song I heard that I thought directly related to 9/11 was that one by Alan Jackson. Some idiot requested it at the Freshman Formal. As if we wanted a song about tragedy at our school dance!
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fuchsia
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuchsia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny, moonfall, I was thinking of "Rock the Casbah" when I started reading thru this thread again.
quote:
And the king called out his jet fighters...Drop their bombs between the minarets.
OT: I once heard a misheard lyric for that song that went:
quote:
Sherry don't like it
Rock the cat box, rock the cat box

Back on topic, I'm surprised I haven't heard too many overtly patriotic songs like Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA." During Gulf War I, they played a version that had interspersed sound bites from George Bush Senior.

--------------------
Nothing makes sense, so let's have no more nothing and stop making sense.

Posts: 1353 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Enya's "Only Time"

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coal Glow Kidd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well! Back to page one for comments about any patriotic song, and I'm still wondering,..... Who here had heard this compilation? Did Clear Channnel Communications put this piece together?

Classic Rock radio stations, syndicated nation wide, plays this Floyd song a bunch. I hear it two and three times a night! Not a day person I can't say how much it's played.

My further thoughts on why "Run Like Hell" was chosen by the unknown masters of radio.

The song is crammed full of crecendos and that to me sounds like ultimatums played softly in the back ground.

On two Pink Floyd forums I got strange posts, and again the Floyd fans had'nt heard it!

I'm looking for one here who has, and I'll let the thread drift on.........CGK

--------------------

CD
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think they were playing that Floyd song so much for what the whole entire song is about, but rather people were angry, "Run Like Hell" was on people's minds "Cuz, were gonna get you". The song opens with "You better Run, Run, Run, etc."

People overanalyze too much.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I Am 6-Ironsman
Deck the Malls

Icon 204 posted      Profile for I Am 6-Ironsman   E-mail I Am 6-Ironsman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting that Pink Floyd came up. I associate the Dark Side of the Moon album even more with that time period than The Wall. Speak To Me/ Breathe and On The Run (with the helicopters, jet noise, screaming and explosion at the end)are especially relevant. The album has some lines too that fit...

"Breathe, breathe in the air/ Don't be afraid to care. Leave, don't leave me" This reminds me of 343 FDNY that came in but did not make it out.

"And balanced on the biggest wave/ You race towards an early grave." The collapses.

Time:
"Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town/ Waiting for someone or something to show you the way." Digging in The Pile

The Great Gig in the Sky, self explanatory:
And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime."

"If you can hear this whispering you are dying."

"I never said I was frightened of dying."

I also listened a lot to Metallica just following that, songs like "Fade To Black" "The Shortest Straw" and especially "One" and "The Unforgiven".

The strange thing that I noticed too was that New York radio (WPLJ especially) dug out older music later that week and started to play it, like "I'll Be There" by Escape Club, "Show Me The Way" by Styx and for inexplicable reasons Sybil's cover of "Don't Make Me Over." The only connection among the three is that they were all popular during the Gulf War.

WPLJ played "God Bless The USA" by 10 AM on 9/11.

As for the "Banned List" some make sense, some are there for dumb reasons and some I have no idea why.

Good Reasons:
Metallica, Judas Priest, Rage Against The Machine- OK may be too negative.

Dumb Reasons
Peter Paul and Mary "Leavin' on a Jet Plane"
Rolling Stones "Ruby Tuesday"
Simon And Garfunkel "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
Happenings "See You in Septemeber"
etc.

Inexplicable:
Jackson Brown "Doctor My Eyes" (no idea), Three Degrees "When Will I See You Again" (it's a love song???), Bobby Darin "Mack the Knife" (???), Surfaris "Wipeout" (Ok maybe so, though I always pictured this song in a Quentin Tarantino movie where one gang of punks blows away another), Neil Diamond "America" (this song celebrates immigrants???)

Hollies "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" -This song is often dedicated to NYPD/ FDNY who have died in the line of duty so it's very appropriate.

Posts: 370 | From: New York. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
shizuku

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mac the Knife probably caused concern because of the lyrics, "On the sidewalk, Sunday morning, Lies a body, oozing life"
Ms Stressa

I don't know about the radio (because I don't listen to it), but I listened a lot to P.J. Harvey's Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea in the days and weeks following September 11.

The lyrics to all the songs are here; in particular, "Big Exit", "This Mess We're In", "Kamikaze", "You Said Something", and "We Float" hit a lot of memories of that day. She wrote it in 2000, but ...

Can you hear them?
The helicopters?
I'm in New York
No need for words now
We sit in silence
You look me
In the eye directly
You met me
I think it's Wednesday
The evening
The mess we're in and
The city sun sets over me

Are still the lyrics that punch me in the gut.

But I don't know radio, so I can't say if it was played. Doubt it - Stressa

Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Coal Glow Kidd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
CD,.......Right on! You said it! Thanks! CD

6-Ironsman,
Very fascinating,....well noted! God has blessed them all in Heaven! I look forward to seeing Ladder 49.

Fahrenheit 9/11 was a docu movie not made by Hollywood. Hollywood never will make one as promised.

Shizuku from Chaple Hill NC,.....Did you or any of your friends hear this piece?

Ms Stressa, There's so much in music so many have yet to understand and it's all ways been up to folks to bring these connections to light.

Thanks! To you four and all above that have posted! Someone will post that it was heard by them I'll bet sooner or later! CGK

--------------------

bigblu89
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigblu89         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Time to resurrect an old topic here. And pretty much with the exception of 4-5 postn they're all off topic, so I'll keep with the trend. For those NYers here, if you listen to z100, the reare tmes that the played the song "Juicy" by The Notorious B.I.G. they used to cut out the line...

"Time to get paid, blow up like the World Trade"

Which, as sad as it is, is funny in a way. It was referecing the 1st time they tried to blow up the WTC with the bomb filled vans. I guess before 9-11 no one cared about the damge caused that day of the original WTC attack.

Posts: 76 | From: Long Island, New York | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
silverystars

wilco's "yankee hotel foxtrot" had been recorded before 9/11, but released on their website. sample lyrics (some oblique, some eerily close to the events on 9/11):

"I am an American aquarium drinker
I assassin down the avenue
I'm hiding out in the big city blinking" -- "I am trying to break your heart"

"I'm counting on
A heart I know by heart
To walk me through this war
Where memories distort" -- "Kamera"

"You have to lose
You have to learn how to die
If you want to want to be alive" -- "War on war"

"Tall buildings shake
Voices escape singing sad sad songs"

"Voices whine
Skyscrapers are scraping together" -- "Jesus, etc."

"I would like to salute
The ashes of American flags" -- "Ashes of American flags"

"And it makes no difference to me
How they cried all over overseas
When it's hot in the poor places tonight
I'm not going outside" -- "Poor Places"

The cover of "YHF" depicts two tall buildings - albeit, not WTC, but two hotels in Chicago (can't recall the name, starts with an M).

Also, it was Neil Young who did "Let's Roll", not Paul Simon. He released it on 2002's "Are You Passionate?"

The7thGuest

Icon 601 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Crash!Boom!Bang!
(Originally recorded before 9/11)

My Papa told me to stay out of trouble
"When you've found your man, make sure he's for real"

I've learned that nothing really lasts forever.
I sleep with the scars I wear that won't heal.
They won't heal...

Cos every time I seem to fall in love
Crash!Boom!Bang!
I find the heart but then I hit the wall
Crash!Boom!Bang!
That's the call, that's the game
and the pain stays the same.

I'm walking down this empty road to nowhere
I pass by the houses and blocks I once knew.

My Mama told me not to mess with sorrow
But I always did, and Lord, I still do
I'm still breaking the rules
I kick it up, I kick it down.

Cos every time I seem to fall in love
Crash!Boom!Bang!
I find the heart but then I hit the wall
Crash!Boom!Bang!
That's my real middle-name
It has always been the same
and the pain stays the same.

I still feel the heat
(Slowly fallin' from the sky)
And the taste of the kissing
Shattered by rain
(Comin' tumblin' from behind)
And the wild holy war.

I kick it up, I kick it down
And every time I seem to fall in love
Crash!Boom!Bang!
I find the roses dying on the floor
Crash!Boom!Bang!
and the pain stays the same
That's my real middle-name
It has always been the same.

Been the same,
been the same.
It has always been the same.

Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Coal Glow Kidd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
silverystars & all past contributers,

Thanks for the note about Neil Young being the composer and singer of "Let's Roll". I believe a lot of folks, and I believe the majority, don't mind seeing and hearing remembrances related to that day not so long ago. I miss many of the songs once heard so often. Country & Western music stations still play some of the songs of inspiration. [Smile]

I have returned this thread to page one again. Just one post from a snopes member who heard the compilation, and I'll let my tiny survey drift on. [Wink]

--------------------

Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coal Glow Kidd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well! It was just about to go to page two. I've just Fox watched a GITMO Taliban return to society story. Check it out today folks!

Well! What do you do with such prisoners? That was the question a good while back. There's 600 potential terrorists housed in pens. We know all their names now! Who cares!

Are we going to give them "Green" cards? Fox News says they are sent back to Afganistan for their leaders to decide their fate. Are there no more bullets in the right leaders hands?

Do we,.........?

1. Brain wash them to our thinking.

2. Show them how to be nice people.

3. Or? (We're) They're going to send you back to Mother in a cardboard box! You better run!

Folks I've always voted for # 3. These warm, fuzzy, wuzzies are always going to come back and haunt our country and the Free World.

Of the 25 let out of GITMO 7 have returned to Afganistan and Pakistan to terrorize. This is nuts to the tenth degree!

Killing all Infidels over a great many years is their ultimate goal. Of all the lines in 'Run Like Hell', besides Pink Floyd singing, "You better run". The next to the last line is my favorite!

Always remember Pink Floyd's name is of an American origin thanks to Syd Barrett who resides in Cambridge, England. Pink Anderson, and Floyd Council were two beloved Georgia bluesmen. [Wink]

Snopes feel free to delete this. It's just my thoughts about many Americans saying, "We told you so!" from the "Git Go" of GITMO.

CGK [Wink]

--------------------

ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 05 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CD:
Drowning Pool's newest song at the time "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" wasn't played for weeks after 9/11.

Where are you from then? When I lived near Kansas City, MO KQRC The Rock 98.9 FM never did any different.
Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bigblu89:
I guess before 9-11 no one cared about the damge caused that day of the original WTC attack.

I think that is due the fact that we still had a World Trade Center after the meer van bombs. I also think that if we would just rebuild them it would probally have raised more patriotism than the weeks after they were gone. I mean come on, that is still prime land there, and if we just waste it on a memorial we have let them win. I personally think it would be much more interesting to rebuild them and have a very in-depth memorial through out the complex and the outside. Just me though. *ica171's husband*
Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ica171:
quote:
Originally posted by CD:
Drowning Pool's newest song at the time "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" wasn't played for weeks after 9/11.

Where are you from then? When I lived near Kansas City, MO KQRC The Rock 98.9 FM never did any different.
Western Massachusetts. The DJs even said they were going to wait awhile before playing that song again out of respect for the jumpers from the WTC.

quote:
Originally posted by ica171:
quote:
Originally posted by bigblu89:
I guess before 9-11 no one cared about the damge caused that day of the original WTC attack.

I think that is due the fact that we still had a World Trade Center after the meer van bombs. I also think that if we would just rebuild them it would probally have raised more patriotism than the weeks after they were gone. I mean come on, that is still prime land there, and if we just waste it on a memorial we have let them win. I personally think it would be much more interesting to rebuild them and have a very in-depth memorial through out the complex and the outside. Just me though. *ica171's husband*
Also, after the first attack (and in no way discounting the people who died there) there wasn't an immediate thought that 10,000 people just died including most of the fire and police departments, as well as the towers actually falling, killing more on the ground, causing devastation and destruction. There is no comparison in the 2. There also wasn't a plane full of innocent civilians (4 actually) used in the first attack. It wasn't as though we didn't care about the first one, its just that the sheer, overwhelming devastation of the 2nd attack makes the first one pale in comparison.
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Coal Glow Kidd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My appology for not doing as promised. I should have bumped this thread to page one long ago. I always knew the lyrics were never included. Here they are with inserts of mention of what the inspiration included. Also another chance for a snopes member to add,........"I heard this compilation a long time ago." No one has so far and vagueness is part of the qualifications of urban legend status. Was it true or was it not true ?

A US fire & brimstone preacher speaks a rousing sermon here"

You better run like hell
You better make your face up in
Your favourite disguise
With your button down lips and your
Roller blind eyes
With your empty smile
And your hungry heart
Feel the bile rising from your guilty past
With your nerves in tatters
When the cockleshell shatters
And the hammers batter
Down the door
You better run like hell

A US Marine says the poem "This is my rifle"

George C. Scott's lines from Patton said in front of 'Old Glory'

You better run all day
And run all night
And keep your dirty feelings
Deep inside
And if you take your girlfriend
Out tonight,
You better park the car
Well out of sight
Cos if they catch you in the back seat
Trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to mother
In a cardboard box
You better run

from Pink Floyd's The Wall album from 1979. This is The Classic Rock Station's 2nd most requested song in it's new survey after Stairway to Heaven by Led Zepplin. [Cool] [Wink]

CGK [Smile]

--------------------

Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thread necromancy is evil...especially the nonsensical kind.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Coal Glow Kidd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[Roll Eyes] [Wink]

Aw! Nuts! Bug in reference to your Belgium related spot in Military you are non-sensical! [Big Grin]

CGK

Tomcat
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tomcat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tomcat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CD:

Actually the song was called "Bodies" and was about mosh pits, but I understand why it wasn't played much. There were several songs that had nothing to do with planes/buildings/terrorists/etc., that were rested for awhile at the station I worked at because of how they might be misunderstood (AC/DC "Shot Down In Flames", Saliva's "Click, Click, Boom" to name a couple).

--------------------
www.audiowaveprod.com

You can go 'round the world,
You can go 'round the block.
But all I want to hear,
Is some '55 rock...

*Cub Koda

Posts: 170 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gnome
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gnome   E-mail gnome   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Odd to play both "Run Like Hell" and "Dogs of War" in the same mood...

While the first could be considered threatening and aggressive, the second is about the futility and self-serving nature of war.

Posts: 418 | From: New Port Richey, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
martin-at-work

Icon 1 posted      Profile for martin-at-work   E-mail martin-at-work   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the context of the movie The Wall, "Run Like Hell" is a song about neo Nazi racism (sung from the point of view of the neo Nazi).

The lines "and if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks, they're going to send you home to mother in a cardboard box" refer to catching an interracial couple in the act, and the consequences that follow.

It's not a pro-nazi song, but it explains the character.

I'd say you have to see The Wall to understand it, but then you'd have to listen to the album about 500 times first, then smoke a big heap of weed, and then you can watch the movie. Or so I am told.

Posts: 183 | From: Brisbane, Oz. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Originally posted by gnome:
Odd to play both "Run Like Hell" and "Dogs of War" in the same mood...

While the first could be considered threatening and aggressive, the second is about the futility and self-serving nature of war.

The US flag for an icon [Cool] !

gnome,

The Dogs Of War is one of the most prophetic songs ever recorded. It is about the futility and self-serving nature of war. This war on terrorisim had, "invisible transfers, long distance calls, hollow laughter in marble halls." Those words were sung 14 years before our second day of infamy.

Is there anybody out there? Who has heard this rousing compilation of "Run Like Hell"?

CGK [Wink]

My avatar was nicknamed "The Flying Jug",....the P-47 Thunderbolt was made in Evansville 30 miles South.

--------------------

TailsAndy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TailsAndy   E-mail TailsAndy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would "Jump" be banned?

I understand the jumping part, but the song is suppoded to be a very light mooded song.

--------------------
You know when you've found it... because you feel it when they take it away. - Damien Rice

Posts: 103 | From: Buffalo, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SuperGoodSonic:
Why would "Jump" be banned?

Probably through the same thought process (and I use the term VERY loosely) that caused some UK cops to confiscate copies of the film The Big Red One in the belief that it was a porno film.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soccer
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soccer   E-mail Soccer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Songs were not the only thing that were changed by 9/11.

According to Wikipedia, in July of 2001 Jimmy Eat World released their 2nd full length cd, entitled "Bleed American." Fearing that the band would suffer backlash for the title after September 11, the band and its management decided to change the name of all future releases of "Bleed American" to a self titled "Jimmy Eat World."

Posts: 71 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Originally posted by Soccer:
Songs were not the only thing that were changed by 9/11.

According to Wikipedia, in July of 2001 Jimmy Eat World released their 2nd full length cd, entitled "Bleed American." Fearing that the band would suffer backlash for the title after September 11, the band and its management decided to change the name of all future releases of "Bleed American" to a self titled "Jimmy Eat World."

Soccer,

Pardon me for not replying sooner. Just found this old thread in the Archives. Thanks Mr. Snopes for keeping all the threads.

I thought Zip it was gone. Yes! Soccer, songs weren't the only things changed on 9/11/01.

Off now to England to report this find here.

CGK [Wink]

--------------------

The Hit Parade
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Hit Parade   E-mail The Hit Parade   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's true about the Jimmy Eat World album, BTW. It didn't come out until after the events in the UK, so we only know it as an untitled album; the title song was renamed 'Salt Sweat Sugar'.
Posts: 19 | From: Harrow, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

90% of these posts are right on topic. Anything that could be prophetic in music however connected to 9/11/01.

You can post here if you have more music that is related in any way to the sad day. I mention this thread at The Atlantic Paranormal Society's message board. This thread became something very different after the beginning posts and the telling of the little heard song.

I'm just glad that they picked Pink Floyd's 'Run Like Hell' for the compilations background music!

Right on topic now, but NO ONE has yet to say they heard this compilation. True, False, or Un-determined.It takes more than a web site to turn music of inspiration into a legend. [Wink] It takes a war from a 1,000 years past to a 1,000 years onto the future. [Frown]

Please post here if you heard this compilation from November of 2001. I think posts will still work here. I can edit this in now on October 1, 2000&6.

CGK

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages