snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Kevin Costner in 'The Big Chill'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kevin Costner in 'The Big Chill'
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have always heard that Kevin Costner plays the deceased friend
at the beginning of the movie The Big Chill. I heard that the director
originally included a shot of his face but then edited it out. Is that
true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, according to IMDB:
quote:
Flashback scenes with Kevin Costner as Alex were filmed, but cut. He is still visible as the body being dressed at the beginning of the film.
As with anything on IMDB, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Costner was profiled on A&E Biography just this week. It touched on the early career disappointment of his part being cut from "The Big Chill". And Leonard Maltin's movie guide, if I remember the entry correctly, did say that Kevin played the corpse.
Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christopher
Peruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Christopher   Author's Homepage   E-mail Christopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Synchronicity plus -- I'm watching TVO's "Cinema 101" and this particlar show is called "The Chill Factor" focussing on The Big Chill. They just mentioned that Kevin Costner played the corpse in Big Chill.

--------------------
"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know." ~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

Posts: 1382 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Glottal Fry
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher:
Kevin Costner played the corpse in Big Chill.

And has been typecast ever since...

[Razz]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christopher

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Christopher   Author's Homepage   E-mail Christopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Kevin Costner played the corpse in Big Chill.
quote:

And has been typecast ever since...

The guy talking about it in the show I saw said, "Yeah, Kevin Costner played the corpse. Originally you saw more of him, but they cut him out, which they probably should have done for more of his movies."

--------------------
"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know." ~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

Posts: 1382 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 502 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If memory serves me, Costner's role in Silverado was a reward/apology from Kasdan for ending up on the cutting room floor in Big Chill.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christopher

[lol] because I remember that it was Kasdan who was being interviewed and commented that more movies should have cut Costner's roles.

--------------------

idefydescription

I can't say I can take the opinion of the director of Dreamcatcher all that seriously if he's going to bash others. Personally, I've never seen any Costner movie (no, not Waterworld, The Postman, Dragonfly or anything) that was as bad as that. Also, I kinda find it funny that the only Kasdan movies I've liked happened to star Costner both times (but I've never seen The Accidental Tourist).
Christopher

quote:
Originally posted by idefydescription:
I can't say I can take the opinion of the director of Dreamcatcher all that seriously if he's going to bash others. Personally, I've never seen any Costner movie (no, not Waterworld, The Postman, Dragonfly or anything) that was as bad as that. Also, I kinda find it funny that the only Kasdan movies I've liked happened to star Costner both times (but I've never seen The Accidental Tourist).

It is kind of tacky of Kasdan, now that you mention it -- but remember, I'm only going by memory here, and several people were being interviewed. It could have been someone else.

As for the rest, I actually kinda liked The Postman, although I wished he'd stuck more to the actual character of the novel. And I understand that a lot had to be cut to make it fit a movie length, but some of the stuff they took out was pretty essential.

And I very much enjoyed Accidental Tourist -- not only in its own right, but as an example of how to turn a book into a movie. But a lot of people didn't like it.

--------------------

Schizm

quote:
QUOTE]The guy talking about it in the show I saw said, "Yeah, Kevin Costner played the corpse. Originally you saw more of him, but they cut him out, which they probably should have done for more of his movies."

I think Costner is a great actor - until he opens his mouth. I have one word, Kevin. Just one word. Inflection.
Misha

I believe that prior to The Big ChillCostner's small role in the Jessica Lange vehicle Frances also ended on the cutting room floor.

Misha

kyoko baby, kitten of pain

Icon 98 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As for the rest, I actually kinda liked The Postman, although I wished he'd stuck more to the actual character of the novel. And I understand that a lot had to be cut to make it fit a movie length, but some of the stuff they took out was pretty essential.

I liked the postman as well, and I would openly recommend "Open Range". Waterworld was a bit weird for me, but the only one of his that I'm not really big on is Dragonfly. That one drove me nuts to watch.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages