snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Alfred Hitchcock's belly button

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alfred Hitchcock's belly button
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I've heard that Alfred Hitchcock had no belly button. Is it possible? And what is the explaination?

(cf. this thread.)

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kyoko
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never heard this one, and this could offically be one of the weirdest ones I've heard.

From what I gather, the Belly button is caused by the eumbellicle(sp?) cord- the portion that you keep when they cut it. As your body grows, it doesn't grow with you, and that's what makes the belly button hole.

So, what happened? Hitchcock hatched from an egg or something?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard this one, from the usual source of silly trivia lists.

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Game Six + Three Lives

Icon 218 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kyoko:

Hitchcock, like everyone else, was born with a navel. Supposedly, he had a small section of his belly that contained the navel removed during some sort of surgery.
CD

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Game Six + Three Lives:
quote:
Originally posted by kyoko:

Hitchcock, like everyone else, was born with a navel. Supposedly, he had a small section of his belly that contained the navel removed during some sort of surgery.
My brother in law had a surgery last year on his intestine and now he's belly-buttonless.
Droopy
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Droopy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bah, Hitchcock... let's restart the old theological question whether Adam had a belly button or not.

If no - then he wasn't fully human.
If yes - then God created something pointless. [Smile]

Posts: 65 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Spider in the Ointment

quote:
Originally posted by Droopy:
Bah, Hitchcock... let's restart the old theological question whether Adam had a belly button or not.

If no - then he wasn't fully human.
If yes - then God created something pointless. [Smile]

Then there is the secondary problem of what constitutes a navel and whether God has one... personally I think it's one of the more annoying theological arguments.
Lola

Icon 214 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad had stomach surgery when he was younger and the incesion scar was right next to his navel and it was four holes. So when I was really little I thought that all men had five belly buttons.
Karmachic

I know someone who had a hernia operation and hence no belly button after the operation the way they had to go in...freaky as all hell too.
TuxedoCat

Icon 102 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not too long ago there was a lawsuit brought by a woman against a surgeon who had done abdominal surgery on a woman and left her with an off-center navel. I don't remember the result, but I do remember looking at pictures of the woman and thinking, "Lady, your off-center belly button is not your worst problem."

Everybody is born with a belly button. In fact, all mammals except platypusses (platypi?) and echidnas have a belly-button equivalent, where their umbilical cords were attached to their placentas - with cats and dogs and such, it just looks like a flat scar. In humans, it's attached by ligaments to the abdominal wall muscle and surrounded by fat so it makes a noticeable dimple. I don't know what the proportions are of innies to outies. Anybody have an idea?

route66gal

The funniest thing - after I had my gallbladder removed, on my first day back at work, a co-worker asked if I still had my bandages on. She had the same surgery the year before. I told her yes, that I still had the bandages on. She said, "You know, you don't have a bellybutton." I completely freaked, ran to the bathroom, went in the stall and pulled back the bandage a bit - and my bellybutton was GONE! I went back, hypervenhilating, and she said, "Relax, it will heal and come back, but it's pretty weird, isn't it?" I soooo wanted to smack her for scaring me like that. I mean, what's life without a bellybutton? :-P
tarheelnursek

Icon 97 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eighteen years ago I swapped a surgeon my belltbutton for a set of twin boys....Sometimes I want to swap back. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages