snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Star Wars legends confirmed (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Star Wars legends confirmed
Faye Valentine
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 22 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Guess that's the price for becoming a piece of pop culture...

I've heard a lot of ULs about star wars lately,including the ever popular ones about that a young or child Han solo will not be appearing in episode III because Lucas feels no one is worthy to play the classic role without causing humiliation to the original Harrison Ford protrayal. According to that UL, Han Solo will merely be mentioned, but never shown and he'll only have a few lines spoken off camera by a guy who does a good impression of Ford. When he is seen, he'll be a shadow figure who never has enough light on his face to be seen.

It IS however, confirmed that the one about Chewbacca appearing in star wars episode III is true. Here's a link.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030428/film_nm/film_starwars_dc_2

Need to find out about Han Solo though... he was always my fav...

Another is that Star Wars has been accused of exploiting Africa and it's people. I only managed a few paragraphs before I got severely disgusted with it and quit, but here's a link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2805999.stm

The third and final one I wanna share is a popular one- Luke and Leia will never be shown as babies or toddlers or whatever the time frame has them as. A rumor people claim came from Natalie portman said that it will be around the time Padme was pregnant with them, but it will not show the twins after they're born, and how Padme died will become a Star Wars unsolved mystery. I got no link for that one.

Now, I'm done for tonight; I got my vacation, which means I'll be gone until at least this weekend; hopefully I get my mind back in order- it's been really cluttered in my head, and I've been making some really hackeneyed posts lately. See ya when I come back!

XOXOXO

-Faye Valentine

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I stand by my conjecture that the final sequence of Episode III will be Darth Vader putting on his mask.

I'm even willing to place bets on it. [Big Grin]

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Otter of our Discontent

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Africa is just a location for Star Wars," Haroun told the BBC World Service's Africa Live! programme.
What was it supposed to be? They needed a desert planet. Tunisia has a desert. What else were they supposed to do? Bring in the UN?

quote:

"Friends of mine, directors in Morocco and Tunisia, became just assistants to Hollywood.

I wasn't aware selling out was a uniquely African problem. Wow, Hollywood screwed you? Get in line.
quote:

"They came there and made their movies - and these guys stopped making movies."

Who? Why?
Crackrzz

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We don't know how Padme dies... but one must assume that her death is what ultimately sends Anakin over the edge right?

No Luke and Leia babies? [Frown] That stinks.

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FumblePDI

Maybe a real SW fanatic can clear this up for me, but I thought Episode 3 was going to be so far in the past (before 1977's Star Wars A New Hope) that Han Solo would have only been a child anyway. What's the point of having an off-screen voice that sounds like Harrison Ford?

I can certainly cope with the Chewbacca inclusion, because I've heard that Wookiees live to be hundreds of years old and that Chewie is about 300 in the original trilogy.

They have a lot of loose ends to tie up in Episode 3: Who really ordered the clones? Who is Anakin's daddy? Why are the Jedi losing their powers? What happens to Amidala, Mace Windu, Count Dooku, and the droids' memories? And is there *any* chance that Darth Sidious and Emperor Palatine are different people? Seems odd that Episode 2 would introduce more mysteries than solve any. Oh well.

Fumble "I'm the real Syfo-Dyas" PDI

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been expecting that episode III will pretty much bridge the gap between II and IV. This is probably the most important (and difficult) of the three new movies since everything must match up. Leaving out several decades would be a cheap cop out that I would not expect. Sure maybe there will be a mystery or two left on solved, but what's the purpose for the first three movies if not to bring us up to date so we have a much better understanding as to how we ended up where we did at the begining of Star Wars.

Beach...and if they could find someone to play a young Indiana Jones....Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 107 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jaime Vargas Sanchez:
I stand by my conjecture that the final sequence of Episode III will be Darth Vader putting on his mask.

I'm even willing to place bets on it. [Big Grin]

Whatever you want to bet, I'll take it; James Earl Jones has gone on record to say that he is contracted to do voiceover work for the last 5 minutes of the film.

quote:
BeachLife said:
Leaving out several decades would be a cheap cop out that I would not expect.

You wouldn't expect it? You've seen the last two films, and you still have faith in Lucas? That's sweet.

quote:
and if they could find someone to play a young Indiana Jones
Well, I don't know about the series, but in the films, that was River Pheonix. There's a good reason why they can't cast him.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tier-Rex

I actually emailed to Rick McCallum (sp) lol. I said I wanted no credit etc, I would just love to see this. Ep 3 to end with a younger Solo playing cards. Obi-Wan walks past and casts a Jedi sign with his hands. Solo yells , " Read em and weep Lando. The Falcon is mine".

Add a whole new meaning to the 'Hokey religions etc' scene in epi 4 hey.

LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 600 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FumblePDI:
What's the point of having an off-screen voice that sounds like Harrison Ford?

Remember...these are just rumours Faye is talking about. The movie won't be out for another two years, so we have lots of time to speculate. But I do agree with you, since Han is only a little bit older than Luke & Leia. Besides, what's the point of having him in the movie? None that I can see. Besides, do you have any idea how old Han would have to be? If he was in the third movie as a young man, he'd have to be over 40 in the first movie, and I seriously doubt he is.

quote:
Who is Anakin's daddy?
There is no father. It's a bit of a Jesus complex, according to Lucus. Remember, in episode I, Qui Gon guesses that Anakin was concieved by midcloreons. That's why he has such a high count.
quote:
And is there *any* chance that Darth Sidious and Emperor Palatine are different people?
Doubt it. The voice is the exact same. Also, if you read the book of the original series, they do refer to the Emperor as Senator Palatine.
quote:
Seems odd that Episode 2 would introduce more mysteries than solve any.
Why? It's perfect. It's the second movie, and we know there's a third, so I think it's the perfect opportunity to leave the audience guessing. We know Lucas will wrap it all up for us in Episode III. Gives us something to think about for three years.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:

quote:
and if they could find someone to play a young Indiana Jones
Well, I don't know about the series, but in the films, that was River Pheonix. There's a good reason why they can't cast him.
Ouch, good point.

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 213 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LizzyBasilisk:
quote:
And is there *any* chance that Darth Sidious and Emperor Palatine are different people?
Doubt it. The voice is the exact same. Also, if you read the book of the original series, they do refer to the Emperor as Senator Palatine.
I've thought about this one, and since I believe that LIMIUAHGA (Lucas Is Making It Up As He Goes Along), we may well find that they're two different people, in one way or another.

If I may engage in wild-ass speculation for a moment to give you an example of what I'm talking about

Perhaps Palpatine commissioned a clone to help him is quest for power, but that clone ended up become more powerful than Palpatine himself after it discovered the power of the dark side of the Force. When the time was right, the clone killed the original Palpatine, and let the galaxy think that they were the same person all along.

Lest we forget, we're dealing with the same guy who told us that Darth Vader killed Luke Skywalker's father in Episode IV, and then miraculously revealed him to actually be Luke's father in Episode V. I'm sure he could pull something out of his butt to explain Palpatine and Sidious not being the same person.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

LUKE: You told me Darth Vader killed my father!

GHOST OF OBI-WAN: In a sense, that was true.

LUKE: In what sense?

GHOST OF OBI-WAN: In the sense that I'm a lying SOB.

(the part that got cut from the script)

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um I took that all to mean that in becoming Darth Vader he killed the essence of the man he had been before. It made sense to me at the time but I've only seen each these movies once or at most twice (episode IV) so I'm so far from an expert on them its pitiful.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Jaime:

I'm even willing to place bets on it.

Jaime

You could lose that bet if Hayden Christensen is to be believed -No Helmet for Darth in Episode III?

I agree with Empire's (and your) verdict though -it's got to end with Vader putting the mask on.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
quote:

LUKE: You told me Darth Vader killed my father!

GHOST OF OBI-WAN: In a sense, that was true.

LUKE: In what sense?

GHOST OF OBI-WAN: In the sense that I'm a lying SOB.

(the part that got cut from the script)
Brilliant. In ciberteo, the Spanish movie mistakes site, it's a stock phrase that Obi-Wan "lies more than he talks". Lucas must not be very fond of the character, since his plot twists usually end up making Obi-Wan, and him only, a lying fool.

"I didn't tell you Vader was your Father; I didn't tell you Leia was your sister. Then again I told you I learned everything from Yoda because, you know, that Qi-Gon Jinn was a pain in the ass anyway. I also told you I had never owned a droid, less even a R2 unit, when I know this particular pair from before you were born. But is that any reason for you to stop believing in me blindly?"

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
Um I took that all to mean that in becoming Darth Vader he killed the essence of the man he had been before. It made sense to me at the time but I've only seen each these movies once or at most twice (episode IV) so I'm so far from an expert on them its pitiful.

Given the context, that's about the only conclusion (other than OB1 being a big fat liar) that can be reached, but I've always thought that was a really, really big stretch.

I just rewatched the first half of ANH, and based on the way the line was written, and the way it was delivered, it really seems like the original story was that Vader literally killed Anakin, and not figuratively.

--------------------

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jaime Vargas Sanchez:
Then again I told you I learned everything from Yoda because, you know, that Qi-Gon Jinn was a pain in the ass anyway.

I forgot about the whole "Yoda taught me everything" thing, too.

Come to think of it, I can't imagine that Luke and Leia being siblings was in the original plan. I mean, there's no way that the creepy incest vibe you get when you watch Episode IV after knowing what you know after Episode V was intentional.

Again, I firmly believe that LIMIUAHGA.

--------------------

Noemi

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That is the way I've always understood it myself and I've seen episodes IV-VI a lot more times than I like to admit. (But not as many times as my husband has. [Smile] )

On the Palpatine/Siddious issue, in much of the literature outside the movies it's explained that Palpatine/Siddious has been cloning himself because the dark side uses up bodies quickly. They may use that out and have the real person and a clone running at the same time in these earlier movies. That would make Mr. Furious's speculation very possible. On other issues in the story line I though that Amidala is smuggled away from Anikin while she is pregnant. I may be wrong in that, but that's the way I undstood that plot point.

I'll be interested to see episode III to see how it all works out.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemi:
quote:

That is the way I've always understood it myself and I've seen episodes IV-VI a lot more times than I like to admit. (But not as many times as my husband has. [Smile] )

Yes that's what I meant, that it was intentional and that Lucas knew all along what he was going to have happen. Fuzzier for me is that whole Luke Leia thing as I agree that in Episode IV it certainly seemed that the potential for romance was there between Luke & Leia...although maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part when I first saw it?

Note to self: rewatch these films.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I guess my problem with that whole thing is that, to me, it came off as so ham-fisted. So much in Episodes IV and V was excecuted so masterfully, and yet the killed dad/is dad issue, which is so important to the underlying mythology, was handled very poorly, IMO.

I guess I just thought that, had he known all along that Vader was going to be Luke's father, Lucas would've been able to come up with something better in Episode IV.

Every time I rewatch that part of Episode IV, I think that Obi Wan is telling the truth. It's just that the truth changed as Lucas started working on Episode V.

--------------------

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Luke's Oedipus complex gives his character much more depth. In episode IV he's kind of got that country boy, not to brightness about him. Killing his father gives him edge.

It make perfect sense that Vader was Luke's dad and Obi knew this all along. He was trying to train the kid to take on the man. Telling him, "yeah that's your long lost dad" would only give the kid a complex. Telling him "he killed your dad" gets him in the right frame of mind.

As for the Luke and Leia bit, this adds nicely to his Oedipus complex. I can't imagine why Lucas would make them siblings later it doesn't add much to the plot or the way the characters treat each other. And in fact, Luke's wouldn't have acted any different in episode IV since he didn't know they were related. That said, they probably would have had a major 'ewwww' moment when they found out.

Beach...if episode III doesn't tie it together I'm done...Life!

--------------------

Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FumblePDI:
...and the droids' memories?

In the books they explain that droids get their memory erased every so often so it doesn't get all cluttered, or something. I'm guessing at some point C3P0's memory is erased but R2D2's memory stays intack, luckily, since the audience can't understand him, his classic dialogue can't disagree with the new history.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Luke's Oedipus complex gives his character much more depth.

Luke had the hots for Padme? [Big Grin]

--------------------

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Furious:
quote:
Luke's Oedipus complex gives his character much more depth.

Luke had the hots for Padme? [Big Grin]
Mother/sister, same thing [Wink]

--------------------

Mr. Furious

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Mother/sister, same thing [Wink]

Well, they're both pretty hot. [Wink]

--------------------

Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crackrzzsss:
We don't know how Padme dies... but one must assume that her death is what ultimately sends Anakin over the edge right?

I don't think so - assuming there's any consistency, which we already know is not the case.
  • Vader is unaware that Leia is his daughter - or, presumably, that he even has a daughter - until Episode III, so he obviously isn't present when Amidala gives birth.
  • Leia remembers her mother ("she died when I was very young"), so it seems Amidala doesn't die in childbirth.
  • I'm guessing that Vader doesn't even know that Amidala is pregnant when they part.

However, perhaps Annakin is told (by Obi-Wan, that master of deceit?) that she has died, in order for her to hide on from him on Alderaan without his looking for her. And perhaps that news is what sends him 'over the edge,' although why she would want to hide from him prior to that isn't clear.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

quote:
Originally posted by Tootssssssie Plunkette:
And perhaps that news is what sends him 'over the edge,' although why she would want to hide from him prior to that isn't clear.

She might see him descending toward darkness, and decides to get the hell out of Dodge before it's too late.

Hey, wait, that sounds like a Lifetime movie.

Descending Toward Darkness: The Padme Amidala Skywalker Story

--------------------

Noemi

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Furious:
I guess my problem with that whole thing is that, to me, it came off as so ham-fisted. So much in Episodes IV and V was excecuted so masterfully, and yet the killed dad/is dad issue, which is so important to the underlying mythology, was handled very poorly, IMO.

If you look at it in comparison to similar hero-cycles it's pretty common that the hero's true background is obscured and you get odd hints throughout the story until the big revelation. Sorta following through on BeachLife's connection with the Oedipus cycle, you get pretty far into the whole thing before all of the hints really match up and you get the ewww moment.

quote:
I guess I just thought that, had he known all along that Vader was going to be Luke's father, Lucas would've been able to come up with something better in Episode IV.

Every time I rewatch that part of Episode IV, I think that Obi Wan is telling the truth. It's just that the truth changed as Lucas started working on Episode V.

There are some other options, if we look at it from the point of view that Luke and Leia's origins had to be obscured initially. To do that it was going to require a pretty elaborate story that had to match up on all levels. There are two possible options for what we see when Luke asks about his father. One is that Obi-Wan was put on the spot and having to come up with answer quickly and that leads to the disconnect. The other is Obi-Wan knew that question would come up and came up with a cover story without thinking that there would be a problem when the truth comes out. In either case, he then has to try to come up with a reason why things don't match up.

Noemi "and to think I though myth analysis from my anth classes wouldn't be useful"

--------------------

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Okay, clearly Vader has some terrible disfiguring 'accident' or incident as it were. I'd guess that's what throws him over the edge.

--------------------

LizzyJingleBells

Icon 87 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Okay, clearly Vader has some terrible disfiguring 'accident' or incident as it were. I'd guess that's what throws him over the edge.

This brings to mind something I've been thinking about for awhile.

Somewhere in my adle little brain, I have the thought of how this happened. I could swear I read it somewhere, but who knows. Anakin had a duel with Obi Won, and fell into a vat of acid or lava. That's how he became disfigured, and needed all those machines to help keep him alive. I've had this thought for a very long time, but have no idea where it really came from.

quote:
On the Palpatine/Siddious issue, in much of the literature outside the movies it's explained that Palpatine/Siddious has been cloning himself because the dark side uses up bodies quickly. They may use that out and have the real person and a clone running at the same time in these earlier movies. That would make Mr. Furious's speculation very possible.
That really does make sense! It would also explain how the Emperor was able to stay alive so long. He's not exactly a young man in the first movie, so he must be ancient by Episode VI.

As for Padme, I think she takes off to hide before giving birth, but Anikan knows she pregnant. He does not know, however, that she is having twins. I believe Obi Won explained it to Luke that way in Episode VI. The twins were seperated in order to protect them from Vader. We may never know why or how Padme dies. Although if we want to get romantic about it, I'm guessing she dies of a broken heart. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LizzyBasilisk:

Somewhere in my adle little brain, I have the thought of how this happened. I could swear I read it somewhere, but who knows. Anakin had a duel with Obi Won, and fell into a vat of acid or lava. That's how he became disfigured, and needed all those machines to help keep him alive. I've had this thought for a very long time, but have no idea where it really came from.

IIRC, that was in an Alan Dean Foster novel early on in the history of the Star Wars franchise--and I think Darth took the big swan dive into a volcano.

Funny, Mojo Jojo tried to do the same thing to the professor in the only episode of Power Puff Girls I've ever watched in its entirety. Pop culture cross-pollenization, I suppose....

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...if we look at it from the point of view that Luke and Leia's origins had to be obscured initially. To do that it was going to require a pretty elaborate story that had to match up on all levels ... Obi-Wan knew that question would come up and came up with a cover story without thinking that there would be a problem when the truth comes out.

So Obi-Wan thinks to himself, "We must hide Annakin Skywalker's children so that the most powerful Jedi can't ever find them. Let's see, we'll cleverly conceal the son on Skywalker's home planet, near his home town, and living with his half brother and wife! And we'll hide his identity by calling him Luke Skywalker! No one will ever guess..." [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Well no one said it was a good cover story. [Wink] Actually it does follow the principle of hiding something in plain view, so it isn't that far out.

Noemi

--------------------

Mark Hoffman

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I understand if Chewbacca is in Ep 3 then why wouldnt Solo be? If I remember correctly their back story involved Han being a storm tropper or imperial pilot who helps spare Chewys life on some slave industrial planet.... Side Note: I dont think there is enough time in one more movie to bridge the gap between Ep 3 and a New Hope. I'm willing to bet its going to seem rushed and choppy.
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 600 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Hoffman:
From what I understand if Chewbacca is in Ep 3 then why wouldnt Solo be?

Wookies live for a very long time. I believe it's already been said Chewie is about 300 in episide four. In order for your time line to work, Solo would have to be about 40, at least, in episode four.

Your backstory could very well be true, but that doesn't mean that it happened in the time episode three will take place. Don't forget, if the twins are not born during episode 3, we're talking 18-20 years between 3 and 4.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages