snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Kate Winslet (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Kate Winslet
chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pathetic:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/030110/168/30dug.html&e=4

[ 10. January 2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: snopes ]

Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Glottal Fry
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 502 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the BBC Winslet approved the original photos but was not given approval after that - the digital alterations were done without her consent (although she doesn't seem that bothered)...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/showbiz/2643777.stm

ex

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
you ain't nothing but a rossdawg

Icon 22 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lets do a raffle which director she plans to marry or have a relationship with next.
lola

Icon 02 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ughhh is right [Mad]

I love Kate Winslet, (IMHO) she is one of the best modern actress and is so beautiful. and I love the fact that she is so proud of her curves and her "real" body.

NOTE TO ALL THE EDITORS AT GQ, STUFF, MAXIM & ALL THE OTHER "LADDIE" MAGAZINES:
Curves and Mystery are very sexy, enough with the airbrushed cover shots of various actresses and female singers wearing nothing but a pair of panties and a see through top. And stop making them skinnier than they really are!
And LET US SEE THE REAL, UNTOUCHED PHOTO OF THE BEAUTIFUL KATE! [flame]

Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"These days you only get two kinds of pictures of celebrities - paparazzi pictures or pictures like these which have been highly styled, buffed, trimmed and altered to make the subject look as good as is humanly possible," he said.
Then what's the point? Why not start out with a computer generated image anyway?

Whatever happened to the idea that pictures are supposed to represent reality?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sparverius

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pogue - it ran into the marketing idea.

Now you see, young (ahem) ladies such as myself are supposed to see that picture, and imagine that we could look like that if we really REEEEALLY tried. Even if we try to resist, men are being bombarded with the idea "if you were a REAL man, you'd have a woman who looks like this". So, we buy other magazines, that tell us how to look like the pictures on the cover. It doesn't work, but we feel that's our fault. After all, we've got photographic proof that it's possible. We buy more magazines, trying to find the one that will do the trick.

Eventually, we go out and spend whatever money we haven't spent on magazines and diet aids on Prozac. Or beer.

For the advertisers, it's a win-win situation.

BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the picture makes her legs look to long.
Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
anue
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for anue   E-mail anue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackForge:
I think the picture makes her legs look to long.

Anyone here know the country music song, "Too Much Fun"?
quote:
Too much fun? What's that mean?
It's like too much money, there's no such thing
It's like a girl too pretty, with too much class

Apparently, there's no such thing as legs too long, either.

--------------------
om mani padme hum

Posts: 2306 | From: tennessee | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dan Bradshaw

Ms. Winslet's never done anything for me (something about her face just bothers me), but I do agree that this is going too far. After the success of Titanic, is there anyone who doesn't know that she's a bit Rubenesque? Let her be.
plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman
Harshmallow World

Icon 02 posted      Profile for plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Author's Homepage   E-mail plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why can't they NFBSK-ing leave well-alone?

I always thought that K-W's appeal was that she was a "Real" woman (I.E. not dieted to within an inch of her life, etc) with proper curves where (IMHO) a woman ought to have curves.

as sparverious says, (paraphrased) it all boils down to giving women unrealistic images to "aspire to", instead of being reinforced or validated that , "Hell, yeah, you are beautiful and desireable just being 'you'"

It is something that NFBSKs me off, so much. I am a plus size woman. I am reasonably pretty, and I am curvy. My partner and my ex-husband both like curvy women. they love "something to get hold of".

YET, society tries to tell me that, when the average woman in the UK is a UK size 16, that it is "Ugly", "Repulsive" or "Flabby" or "Huge" to be that size or above.

Half the women in the uk are over a size 16, for NFBSK's sake!

Why can't we see that we need to accept ourselves for who we are, and not chase some pie-in-the-sky, unattainnable image? (and not be suckered into thinking that this crud is what we have to aspire to.)

It's no wonder that eating disorders are so prevalent, when magazines are peddling this airbrushed imitation of reality.

K-W is beautiful and shapely as she is, au naturel without all the airbrushing-out. It's the same with the model, Sophie Dahl. She was so gorgeous, when she was rubenesque, now she has gone all skinny, I think she is nowhere near as apealling.

It irritates the heck out of me that designers rarely make their clothes for larger women. They exclude/ alienate over half the potential market, straightaway.

I wish for once that the people who do fashion spreads would use "Real" women to show the designer clothes off, shorter women, plumper women, and then we could at least have an idea about what their clothes would look like on real people, rather than models.

OK, Sorry, rant over.

Talk

--------------------
...Can you tell tripe from truth?

Don't be an ignoranus:- an ignoranus is someone who is both stupid, and an ars*hole!

Posts: 1833 | From: The West Riding of God's-own county: Yorkshire UK | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Death by Autopsy - Cloned Ranger

I'm glad someone posted this. I was considering it myself... someone had mentioned it as ridiculous on the radio.

Perhaps it is a little like the unreal-L'Oreal advertisements. They've been airbrushed so many times that they're paintings not photographs.

Aimee Evilpixie
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what really pisses be off about fashion magazines and the like? They're freaking hypocrites! I was looking through a YM, I think, and they had this article about the top five lies girls were told, or something like that. One of the lies was "Dieting is good for you." Then it went on to talk about eating disorders and how you should be happy with your body.

WHAT? Excuse me? I looked through that magazine from cover to cover and I only found ONE picture of a girl who wasn't composed entirely from pipe cleaners. One. And she was only in there because they did an article about her because her boyfriend killed himself. Well, let's see, the magazine is telling us in an article that people shouldn't diet, yet they bombard their readers with the message that you have to be skinny to be pretty? Am I the only one who sees what's wrong with this picture? Honestly... It's because of this crap in the media that my little sister, who's skinnier that I am, thinks she's fat. I'm serious. She does, and it drives me up the freaking wall.

Let's take a moment to compare me to the way I should ideally look to be considered sexy, okay? I'm 5'4". Oh, no, that's too short! Ideally I should be about four inches taller! I weigh 130 pounds or so, distributed pretty evenly around my body. But, what's this? I have a tummy that isn't flat! It pooches a bit! Strike that, I can't be sexy if I have it. And my butt isn't all that firm, either! Darn, I guess I gotta work those glutes if I wanna be sexy. Now, I wear a 36-B bra. I guess that's okay... But oh no! I actually have hips! Perish the thought! I guess I've gotta get rid of those if I want to be sexy, right? Right?

*snorts in a most unladylike fashion* Yeah, right. You know what? I am dead sexy right freaking now. I don't NEED to diet or wear makeup or aspire to some stupid airbrushed model look, and neither does the rest of the world.

I just wish they'd realize it.

Aimee "Holy crap, I just wrote an essay!" Evilpixie

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rubberbands and coffees......

Icon 302 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I absolutly hate almost all "teen" magazines for the reasons posted above. Aimees description of her body was very familiar. I am also 5'4 about 125-130 pounds. I have muscular legs, (I do martial arts and dance)an average B chest and a slight stomach pooch. I am happy with that. The only place I seem hold weight is my tummy, and I let that be.

I was talking about this topic with a cousin of mine who is a couple of years older than me and has two small children. We were looking through her collection of disney movies and all the female characters are tiny size 0 child/women. They are marketing these things to little kids but the characters are still forced through these molds.

P.S. One exception: she recently bought a copy of Lilo and Stitch. The older teenage sister (don't remember the name) is a strong girl with thighs, hips, a small chest and a tummy, yet she is still shown attractivly. My cousin and I were both impressed (WOW a cartoon character that looks like us! [Eek!] )

Aimee Evilpixie

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rubberbands and coffees......:

P.S. One exception: she recently bought a copy of Lilo and Stitch. The older teenage sister (don't remember the name) is a strong girl with thighs, hips, a small chest and a tummy, yet she is still shown attractivly. My cousin and I were both impressed (WOW a cartoon character that looks like us! [Eek!] )

Yes! I loved Lilo and Stich for that! Well, I loved it for a lot of other reasons, too, but I really loved Nani's character design! It was wonderful.

Aimee "And Lilo wasn't some skinny little thing, either," Evilpixie

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lindiglo

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aimee Evilratty:

Let's take a moment to compare me to the way I should ideally look to be considered sexy, okay? I'm 5'4". Oh, no, that's too short!

It bothers me when people bring height into this. I am 5'7 which, actually, isn't that tall, but its still hard to find pants, unless I'm looking for floods.
Lindiglo

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lindighetto:
quote:

Let's take a moment to compare me to the way I should ideally look to be considered sexy, okay? I'm 5'4". Oh, no, that's too short!

It bothers me when people bring height into this. I am 5'7 which, actually, isn't that tall, but its still hard to find pants, unless I'm looking for floods.
Lindiglo

Your're 5' 7" at 13? Wow, that's pretty tall.

Beach...or is that in the metric system...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jaalyn

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
quote:
quote:

Lindiglo

I was 5'8" at 14. But to stay on topic, my fiance is very curvy, with big hips and all. And i think she is the most gorgeous woman i have ever known. [Big Grin]
trialofmiles
Congo Your Own Way

Icon 22 posted      Profile for trialofmiles   E-mail trialofmiles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's funny (in an ironic sort of way) that when arriving at snopes, I got a popunder ad for "Apple Cider Vinegar Enhanced" which says "Flush Fat Right Out Of Your System!" I didn't notice it until after reading this thread.

--------------------
Good morning, fellow employee. You'll notice that I am now a model worker. We should continue this conversation later, during the designated break periods. Sincerely, Homer Simpson.

Posts: 371 | From: Connecticut | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lgreywolf
Deck the Malls

Icon 501 posted      Profile for Lgreywolf   E-mail Lgreywolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That's funny, I'm 5'5" and I have to shop the "Petites" sections. And buy the "short inseam" (direct quote from my jeans label) pants. I was upset when a particular place near me closed because it carried the only jeans that weren't too long for me--they were for women 5'4" and under. [Big Grin]

But I too have always loved Kate Winslet's normal, natural look, with some actual meat on her bones (as opposed to just skin and bones.) I've recently lost enough weight to be in the middle or low middle of what my height should be. Guess what? I still have a (fairly) fat stomach, and I doubt it's going to go away, barring near starvation on a desert island.

--------------------
"Most Jewish holidays can be summed up very simply: They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat." - my in-laws' Rabbi.

Posts: 430 | From: North of Boston, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who are all the heterosexual men who have been asking for this emaciated imagery as what they want to see? I never did and I don't personally know any men who have, or read from them on message boards, so I'm rather confused as to why this look is so dominant in fashion.
Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Big J

Icon 302 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes! I loved Lilo and Stich for that! Well, I loved it for a lot of other reasons, too, but I really loved Nani's character design! It was wonderful.

Aimee "And Lilo wasn't some skinny little thing, either," Evilpixie

Heh. And Tia Carrere complained about how her ass was smaller in real life than her character's...sounded really shallow.

quote:
Originally posted by Brother ChrisJ Rat:
Who are all the heterosexual men who have been asking for this emaciated imagery as what they want to see? I never did and I don't personally know any men who have, or read from them on message boards, so I'm rather confused as to why this look is so dominant in fashion.

Well, they sure never asked me either. I mean, jeez...these "women" are built like little boys. I have never met any other guy who says he likes it either...Personally, I like a woman to look like a woman...you know, boobs, butt, child-bearing hips. Well, I like my women with extra padding too...but anyway, MOST guys don't actually like the whole famine victim look (there's always going to be a few weirdos out there), they like a woman that looks like a woman, so I don't know where they get it from either.

Big "having women that look like women...what a concept that would be" J

Cate Harrison

quote:
Originally posted by rubberbands and coffees......:

And here she is:
 -

Double Latte
Happy Holly Days

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Double Latte   E-mail Double Latte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Magazines are evil! I spent some time working on an Eating Disorders Unit in a hospital and they did not allow anyone to bring in any magazine! Magazines are just too destructive to a woman's self-image.

I agree with the post above: it is about selling makeup, diet aids, exercise equipment, etc., not what men want!

But it is not just about being attractive to men. Women want to look this way for themselves, too. The image is also about power and self-determination. You just don't picture a female CEO as flabby, do you? Thinness projects energy, intelligence and strength of will; flabby women are thought of as ignorant, weak-willed, lazy, etc. Women who diet compulsively are not just trying to attract men, but to attain the image of power and status that seems to go along with thinness.

Thin woman = success; fat woman = failure.

Our society is really screwed up!

--------------------
"Senility Prayer"
God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference.

Posts: 1755 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archangel
Spider Cider

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Archangel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, in fact I visit snopes because it gives comfort to my belief that western society is largely a tissue of falsehoods designed to scare us into ever-more-frenetic consumption.

I'd thought it a radical view, marxist, lefty/liberal or what have you until recently. But as an idea it seems to be gaining currency e.g. Michael Moore's film "Bowling for Columbine."

Though I think it has about as much chance of popularity as the perpetually boycotted "don't watch TV" advertisements & for the same reasons.

Ooh I'm ranting on a dram, beg pardon.

Posts: 1749 | From: -> Canberra <-/ Hong Kong / London | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jaalyn

Icon 37 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Double Ratte:
Magazines are evil! I spent some time working on an Eating Disorders Unit in a hospital and they did not allow anyone to bring in any magazine! Magazines are just too destructive to a woman's self-image.

I agree with the post above: it is about selling makeup, diet aids, exercise equipment, etc., not what men want!

But it is not just about being attractive to men. Women want to look this way for themselves, too. The image is also about power and self-determination. You just don't picture a female CEO as flabby, do you? Thinness projects energy, intelligence and strength of will; flabby women are thought of as ignorant, weak-willed, lazy, etc. Women who diet compulsively are not just trying to attract men, but to attain the image of power and status that seems to go along with thinness.

Thin woman = success; fat woman = failure.

Our society is really screwed up!

It just makes me sick. I remember in high school my friends and i would be in public, scoping girls, and if we saw a curvy girl, we would be like "alriight! child-bearing hips!" We liked that. But there is a definate difference between a curvy woman and a fat one, popular media doesn't like to make that distinction. Like i said in my earlier post, my finace is curvy and i love it. Her mother on the other hand is a fat pig and other words (for other reasons) i won't use on this board for decency's sake [Mad]

quote:
Who are all the heterosexual men who have been asking for this emaciated imagery as what they want to see? I never did and I don't personally know any men who have,

Don't get me wrong, there are a few. I've never been into fat women, but slim ones. There's a difference between slim and skinny... as Courtney Cox, Kate Moss (who incidentally eats very badly apparently), and Callista Flockhart are.

I like a bit to hold onto but not a belly I can't get my arms round. A little puppy fat is okay

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Death by Autopsy - Cloned Ranger:
quote:
Who are all the heterosexual men who have been asking for this emaciated imagery as what they want to see? I never did and I don't personally know any men who have,

Don't get me wrong, there are a few. I've never been into fat women, but slim ones. There's a difference between slim and skinny... as Courtney Cox, Kate Moss (who incidentally eats very badly apparently), and Callista Flockhart are.

I like a bit to hold onto but not a belly I can't get my arms round. A little puppy fat is okay

This reminds me of something I heard on the radio the other day. They were reporting that Harrison Ford had apparently got into an accident while filming a movie. His car (a race car I think) ran into a wall. One of the DJs said that he was probably just fine since he is dating Callista Flockhart and there for well accustomed to slamming himself against something flat with no padding.

I have to agree to the rest of what you said. There is a big difference between skinny and fit. I like a women with curves, but when if she has a belly no thank you.

Beach...I don't date skeletons...Life!

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 86 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's been times when I've been interested in women who were borderline underweight, but not because of that, and I didn't want them to stay that way! Like everything else, there has to be a happy median, and some women must accept that their bone structure will never make them look thin, but they'll be able to look fat with ease (the same could be said about MY bone structure, I have a stocky build.)
MisterGrey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for MisterGrey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Where lieth the appeal with Calista Flockhart, Courtney Cox, Jennifer Aniston, et. al? Whoever here told the joke about Harrison Ford hit it dead on: Slamming into a flat surface with no padding. What else is there to do? Nothing to fondle, nothing to stroke, nothing to feel. Now, I certainly can't say that I speak for all men, and I probably can't say that I speak for the majority of men, as my taste in women has always been, at least to others, a bit... odd... to say the least, but I know for sure that I can say men, as a whole, generally are not attracted to swizzle sticks.
Posts: 2711 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
brick
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for brick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's no question that there are young women who are underweight (and more importantly, undernourished) as a result of the image of thin women as the ideal. However, this is a minor health problem compared to the epidemic incidence of young women (and men) who are overweight. A toned thinness is a goal worth pursuing, as long as it is pursued in a healthy manner.
Posts: 1744 | From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lindiglo

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm 5'7" at 14. [Smile]
I'm taller than most of my friends (and enemies) but I don't feel tall. Until I try to buy jeans. Feh! any short gals having troubles finding jeans, just go to an Italian town. It doesn't cause me too much trouble, mostly when pyjama pants shrink. eep! ha ha. But it is awkward to find clothes locally because unlike most of the residents of my area, I have hips and an ass. (well they have asses, but not defined asses. (_)_) <-me [_]_] <- Them) So I usually look in malls or downtown or wherever. I'm getting off topic. Where am I? *runs*

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
quote:

I'm 5'7" at 14. [Smile]
I'm taller than most of my friends (and enemies) but I don't feel tall. Until I try to buy jeans. Feh! any short gals having troubles finding jeans, just go to an Italian town. It doesn't cause me too much trouble, mostly when pyjama pants shrink. eep! ha ha. But it is awkward to find clothes locally because unlike most of the residents of my area, I have hips and an ass. (well they have asses, but not defined asses. (_)_) <-me [_]_] <- Them) So I usually look in malls or downtown or wherever. I'm getting off topic. Where am I? *runs*

I'm not sure if that was OT, TMI, both or neither, but I liked it [Wink] .

Beach...happy birthday for whenever I missed it...Life!

--------------------

Jennifer Aniston wasn't always that skinny.
lola

quote:
Originally posted by Talk, the Wood Dragon:
Why can't they NFBSK-ing leave well-alone?

I always thought that K-W's appeal was that she was a "Real" woman (I.E. not dieted to within an inch of her life, etc) with proper curves where (IMHO) a woman ought to have curves.

as sparverious says, (paraphrased) it all boils down to giving women unrealistic images to "aspire to", instead of being reinforced or validated that , "Hell, yeah, you are beautiful and desireable just being 'you'"

It is something that NFBSKs me off, so much. I am a plus size woman. I am reasonably pretty, and I am curvy. My partner and my ex-husband both like curvy women. they love "something to get hold of".

YET, society tries to tell me that, when the average woman in the UK is a UK size 16, that it is "Ugly", "Repulsive" or "Flabby" or "Huge" to be that size or above.

Half the women in the uk are over a size 16, for NFBSK's sake!

Why can't we see that we need to accept ourselves for who we are, and not chase some pie-in-the-sky, unattainnable image? (and not be suckered into thinking that this crud is what we have to aspire to.)

It's no wonder that eating disorders are so prevalent, when magazines are peddling this airbrushed imitation of reality.

K-W is beautiful and shapely as she is, au naturel without all the airbrushing-out. It's the same with the model, Sophie Dahl. She was so gorgeous, when she was rubenesque, now she has gone all skinny, I think she is nowhere near as apealling.

It irritates the heck out of me that designers rarely make their clothes for larger women. They exclude/ alienate over half the potential market, straightaway.

I wish for once that the people who do fashion spreads would use "Real" women to show the designer clothes off, shorter women, plumper women, and then we could at least have an idea about what their clothes would look like on real people, rather than models.

OK, Sorry, rant over.

Talk

I agree about Sophie Dahl, she was so much more beautiful when she was heavier. I even saw Polly Melden (not sure of her exact last name), who is a famous fashion editior for Allure Magazine, talk about how much more beautiful she thought Sophie was when she was "Rubenesque".

I remember seeing a layout in one of the major fashion mags, and it was Mia Tyler who is Steven's daughter and Liv's sister in a bikini and she is a "plus size" ( I hate that term) model and I thought she looked so sexy and so beautiful and so confident. That inspired me. I'm 5'5 and my pant size goes anywhere between a size 8 to a size 12. I try and watch what I eat and I excerise pretty frequently. I hardly consider myself plus size. Allthough, I have my days were I think I should be really skinny and wearing a size 2. Than I realize, I'd look pretty funny if I lost that much weight and that I look good the way that I'am. Anyway seeing that picture of Mia made me go out and buy a bikini that summer.

What I don't get is if you looked at the women who were considered sexy and beautiful 30, 40 years ago i.e Marilyn Monroe, Sophia Loren, Ann-Margret, Raquel Welch, Jayne Mansfield etc. they all had to be a size 10 or 12.And they had boobs, hips, and butts. Now it seems that all the women that are considered "sexy" and "beautiful", have big fake boobs and these skinny bodies. Thats why I love women like Kate and Drew Barrymore.

brick
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for brick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea what a size 8 means, but what I do know is that a healthy weight for a person who is 5'5" is 110-150, based on a Body Mass Index calculation. I would guess Kate Winslet is flirting with the high end, if not outside, of the healthy range.

Why aren't there models that look more like us? Because we're obese.

Although it is detrimental for the predilections of those who idealize the underweight to color the body maintenance habits of adolescents, it does them no service to encourage them to "learn to love themselves" at any shape.

Posts: 1744 | From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages