snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » Kitty Peeing Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kitty Peeing Question
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonLimeade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw another thread about a kitty question so figured this is probably the forum for it. If not please move it.

We have 3 cats, one is about 6 years old, and we moved about 1 1/2 years ago. She has gone through phases since we got her (we adoped her at about 10 months, pregnant, from a shelter) and picks up different places to hang out. First under our bed for a long time, then looking for her kittens, etc. Just recently she's taken to peeing outside the litter box and right outside the food dish. Thank goodness we don't have carpets, but still. It's stinky and it's a horrible habit. I guess she will get over it like she does everything else, but does anyone know what might cause that kind of behavior out of nowhere? She had a flea infestation (we got good flea medicine but she shook it off when we first applied it, so this time we were careful not to let her do so) so MAYBE it's part of that. She seemed to have a fair number of scabs on her. I just don't know.

If anyone has any ideas or questions that might help us to clarify the possible reason I'd greatly appreciate it.

--------------------
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Posts: 285 | From: Woodbridge, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. As nasty as it sounds, check the color of her urine. If it's a dark yellow to reddish color, she may have a UTI. It's more common in male cats, but females can get them too. Urinating outside the litterbox is a common cry for attention, because cats start to associate the litterbox with pain.

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonLimeade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I should have said this, it's a pretty normal urine color - pretty bright yellow. Definitely not dark or reddish. We had a male cat that had a problem passing urine, I *think* we would probably know if that was it. But we should have her checked for it just in case.

--------------------

Posts: 285 | From: Woodbridge, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. I think I remember someone saying once to put down litterboxes in all the places that a cat with this problem regularly pees, and then slowly moving them to where you want them to go. If she doesn't seem to be straining or in any pain, it's just a matter of retraining her behaviour (much easier said than done, I know)

Also, what size is your litterbox? I had one of my cats insist on peeing on the bathmats when we got our third cat, until I got a much bigger box. I use one of those large, shallow rubbermaid containers. It stopped the problem almost immediately, because now they can each have their own corner.

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I tried to post but the thread was moved so it didn't work. I'm going to try again...

One of my kitties has been having a peeing problem as well. She has peed on dirty laundry twice in the last few days. She did this a few times shortly after we got her 2 1/2 years ago and then stopped. She seems to know she is doing something wrong, because last time I tried to pick her up and put her in the litterbox and she hid from me. She usually never hides, not even when I get out the carrier or the nail trimmers, both of which she hates.

I don't know what to tell you, but I am taking Puff to the vet in the morning to get her checked out and I'll let you know if I find out anything that might be helpful to you.

Good luck with your kitty! There are many cat owners here, so I'm sure you will get some good advice. [Smile]

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariadne:
One of my kitties has been having a peeing problem as well. She has peed on dirty laundry twice in the last few days. She did this a few times shortly after we got her 2 1/2 years ago and then stopped. She seems to know she is doing something wrong, because last time I tried to pick her up and put her in the litterbox and she hid from me.

On several occasions, Thenie peed on my head and on my feet when I was asleep. She also pees on rugs. She's banned from my bedroom and I've hidden the rugs and bathmat. She has 2 litter trays, but she is stressed out by confinement. When she makes the "getting ready to pee on the carpet" motions in front of me I carry her to the tray. I know it is attention-seeking and frustration. She sees cats and foxes in her garden so she marks territory - unfortunately indoors.

She has another blood test this week and I really want her to be ready for thyroid surgery as that means she will soon be able to go outdoors and mark territory there and hassle the foxes and intruding cats.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since no one else has suggested it yet, I will recommend Feliway.

If it's not a medical issue, sometimes it's just behavioral quirks. We have a cat that likes to pee on furniture sometimes...

Anyways, the Feliway is a spray (or you can buy a diffuser, like a Glad Plug-in) that has feline pheremones that work to calm down the cat and make them feel more at ease. I've used it and it does seem to make a difference. I don't know how or why, but it seems to make the cats just feel happier!

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know how helpful this will be, but I took Puff to the vet this morning for her litterbox problem and a urine test showed a little bit of blood and the possiblity of bacteria. I guess the blood means that she is under some stress. She gave me some antibiotics for her in case there is an infection and recommended giving her canned food instead of dry for a while so she will get more water.

Maybe, since stress can be a cause, the fleas did have something to do with your kitty's problem? Maybe just give her some time and extra love, or put out a new litterbox for her--it could be hers is too small or otherwise objectionable. I hope she gets better soon.

Llewtrah, I don't know what I would do if I woke up to cat pee on my head! Good luck with Thenie.

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Year Without A SeaPea
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Year Without A SeaPea   E-mail The Year Without A SeaPea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll second the Feliway! That stuff is expensive but oh so worth it. One of my cats started peeing everywhere when I moved into a place he didn't like...I think it had something to do with the feral cats in the backyard. Feliway helped a LOT. Then again, so did moving [Big Grin]

--------------------
you can't fight biology...

Posts: 301 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll second the Feliway, too. I just got back from vacation with my two cats alone in the apartment for nearly a week. This is the first time I've left them and come back to no spraying and no peeing out of the box. It's like $45 for the plug in diffuser, but worth it to have calm kitties.
Feliway diffuser

And it is absolutely odorless to me.

Also, my vet recommended food low in ash and magnesium. I use the Purina One Lamb & Rice or Iam's.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you should get an additional litter box or 2, at least temporarily. Put the new litter box where she's been going. She might have decided she doesn't like going in boxes with 2 other cats. Also, try experimenting with the amount of litter. Some cats like a little, some, or a lot.

I would also suggest a vet visit.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

That is sound advice Lydia, and thanks everyone. She stopped doing it, briefly, then started again so we were set to take her to the vet, and she's suddenly gone missing. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] It's been like a day and a half now and I'm really worried about her. They're not outdoor cats (though our male and other female will go out into the yard for a little while when we're out) someone may have left a door open. This isn't the first time she disappeared, once she was gone for several months, but that was long before we moved. She's never quite seemed to get the concept of being able to come home (we rescued her when she was pregnant); she could be just a yard or two over for all I know. We don't even have any rescues around here so I'm kind of at a loss for what to do to find her, unless someone finds her and calls.

Thanks for all the advice; I wouldn't care too much about pee now so long as she was home safe [Frown]

--------------------

kingfan1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingfan1978     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A tad off-topic but I have a question to the people who recommended Feliway...

Does anyone know if it has any effect on dogs? We have 3 cats & 2 dogs. One of the cats is determined to never interact with the other animals in the house, though she's great with adults & kids.

Also, we're expecting our first child in a couple of weeks...is it safe to use around newborns?

--------------------
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Posts: 411 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Feliway is just a synthetic version of the pheromones in a cat's cheek scent glands, so I can't see it having an adverse effect on anyone else. [Smile]

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LemonLimeade,
Did you recently move? I know someone who moved and the cat returned to the old home. It was a 20 minute drive away! She asked the old neighbors to keep an eye out for the cat. The neighbors saw her, fed her, kept her until my friend picked her up.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

That's a good idea, we'll definitely try that today, Lydia. We did move about 1 1/2 years ago (it seems much shorter.) Poor thing never seemed to understand where home was even in the old place, but anything is possible. I'll also give a call in to the old neighbors that I still know.

And of course going around the neighborhood here calling for her [Frown] and some flyers. There is a large colony right around the corner of alley cats in an apartment complex, which doesn't make me feel much better. It's a pretty helpless feeling, there's only so much you can do when this happens.

--------------------

LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Update: She's still here...my son saw her near the back door just a little while ago, and tried to go out to her and gently talk to her so he could pick her up, but of course the little dope ran and hid under the shed. She always does this when she gets out and forgets where she lives. It's almost like she forgets who we are or something, but she knows to come for some reason. Aggh.

I think there might be an inverse proportion of brains to beauty with some cats - she's absolutely gorgeous but what a bubblehead! At least she's safe for the moment, we left some food out and will be keeping a fair watch out for her. Maybe tonight she'll be inside safe. [Smile]

--------------------

medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds to me like she's just not happy being confined to the house.
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

I would think so too, if I were you, but honestly even if we try to let her out she's not interested. She's about the only cat I know who's indoor by choice lol. She's just weird and unpredictable. And she's still hanging around the yard.

We used to have a large yard and the other two would go out in the backyard, we had no problem letting them go and they stayed in the yard. She just wouldn't go. Now we're much closer to the street so I'm more careful, but she is still never interested if you open the door for her. Still we have to keep an eye out for her since once she does go out she doesn't seem to understand to come back - either in the old house or this one. Pretty but dumb [Wink]

I feel much better knowing she's at least here and nothing has happened to her, but with the alley cats and other night wildlife around I really do wish she'd come in. If we catch her she'll be happy to get inside. Though she may rethink that when we take her to the vet for the peeing problem heh.

--------------------

KatrinaDuck
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KatrinaDuck   E-mail KatrinaDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Reggie starting going on the bathmat when she was living with my father, since his house is smoky and has 3 other cats in it (they didn't get along). She got tested for everything and they said "she's stressed."
She's living with me, now, and there's a huge change already - lost excess weight, got friendlier, she's eating normally (we only have 1 other cat). She started out peeing on the newspaper that's around the litter box, but as of last week, she's finally using the box! I almost threw a party.
Now, if I could only get her to wash herself... if anyone knows why a cat would forego washing, please let me know. I've tried the butter on the paws thing AND putting her in a bathtub with a few inches of water (I felt like a jerk about it, but I figured wet paws would make her lick them dry - I was wrong).

--------------------
It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters. -Stephen King

Posts: 481 | From: North Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages