snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » Wisconsin man hits kangaroo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wisconsin man hits kangaroo
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Story here.

I almost put it in language. How credible is this one? I've never seen worse grammar in a news story, and kmbc is usually pretty reliable.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's true, although I have a hard time believing how a kangaroo survived the below zero weather we've had here recently. I guess I don't really know much about kangaroos, though.

Here's another source from LaCrosse, WI

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2005/12/10/news/03roos.txt

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having lived in Wisconsin, I would say that any animal you can think of can be found in someone's backyard somewhere. I grew up with peacocks, quail, guinea hens and pheasants, and I lived a mile away from someone with a pet cougar.

The laws there aren't very strict, and there's enough space where you can get away with breaking them.

I never knew anyone with a kangaroo, but I did know someone with a wallaby and sugar gliders.

Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Strawberries 'n Sugar
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strawberries 'n Sugar   E-mail Strawberries 'n Sugar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's true, it was on our local news. Not that you should believe just that, but they had the (dead) kangaroo right with them, so I erred more on the side of belief. I did find it disturbing that they actually showed the poor kangaroo, though.

Strawberries "respect for the dead" 'n Sugar

eta: My roommate and I were just watching America's funniest home videos, and in a weird coincidence they showed a kangaroo hopping down the road in WI. It looked a lot bigger than the one killed, so I was thinking that maybe there is a breeder or something around here.

--------------------
I made it!
-Me

Posts: 298 | From: Eau Claire, WI; formerly Bloomington, MN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kangaroos are basically just deer that like to jump around a lot. They are found across Australia including places where it snows regularly. They are not particularly hard to care for and unless cornered are fairly non-aggressive. Given basic food and shelter I can't see any real issue with them being kept as pets.

Drop - not a Kangaroo expert though - bear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, apparently you can't export live 'roos except in certain circumstances. So if it's an escaped pet, it mightn't be legal.

Good thing it was only a fifty-pounder. Big 'roos damage cars quite easily!

Little Galaxy

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year they caught a red kangaroo after several sightings in a blizzard. The animal control folks took it to the Madison Zoo (Henry Villas Zoo) where they checked its health and all. Nobody ever claimed it, so they introduced him (I think him, maybe her, not sure) to the population they had at the zoo already. Apparently, he was used to human contact and blended well with the 'roo population there. Btw, they named him.... are you ready? "Roo". [Roll Eyes]

So, this doesn't completely shock me, other than the fact that its the second time I've heard of a 'roo around here.

Short article March 2005

While searching for something more about the 'roo at Henry Villas, I found this: Wisconsin State Journal source, with picture

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that I've thought more about it, I never saw a live kangaroo in Wisconsin... but I have eaten one there! There is a restaurant south of Madison (on the way to Stoughton I think?) that served kangaroo. I never asked where they got it from, but it could be from a local kangaroo farm.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to a (semi) local zoo last summer and got to pet a kangaroo. They had an "outback" section (they had the zoo split into sections - Indonesia, African Veldt, etc..) and they had kangaroos just kind of running around wild. There was one sitting in the middle of the "road" and I walked up and pet it. It was super cute.

No real relevance to the story, I just wanted to share that I've pet a kangaroo.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lulu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lulu   E-mail Lulu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One time a koala gave me a hickey.

I wish I made that up.

--------------------
"What I do not understand is why it makes a difference how the goat is exposed." ~ Rhiandmoi

Posts: 2153 | From: Northern NSW, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say...I'm really curious...

And jealous. You held a koala?!? No fair...

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fantome
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fantome   Author's Homepage   E-mail Fantome   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lulu, do you really think you can get away with not elaborating on that one? [Big Grin]
Posts: 33 | From: Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mage:
Now that I've thought more about it, I never saw a live kangaroo in Wisconsin... but I have eaten one there! There is a restaurant south of Madison (on the way to Stoughton I think?) that served kangaroo. I never asked where they got it from, but it could be from a local kangaroo farm.

Or it was imported. Australia exports a lot of Kangaroo meat, but I don't think we produce any, at least not legally on an industrial scale.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lulu

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lulu   E-mail Lulu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One time at the wildlife sanctuary??

I was at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary when I was about 17. I don't know if they still allow this, but they used to allow people to hold koalas and have their photo taken. Basically you hold your hands together and flat, palm facing up, and about hip height. The handler puts the koala on your hands (they're quite heavy, btw) and places the koala's arms near your shoulders, so they're sort of hugging you. The koala could reach up to my neck, and could obviously smell the perfume I'd sprayed there that morning. He/she snuffled around at my neck, the guy took the photo, but then there was this red hickey where the koala had snuffled me. In the photo (which I will try and dig up and scan, if I can) you can see the hickey.

--------------------
"What I do not understand is why it makes a difference how the goat is exposed." ~ Rhiandmoi

Posts: 2153 | From: Northern NSW, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mage:
Having lived in Wisconsin, I would say that any animal you can think of can be found in someone's backyard somewhere. I grew up with peacocks, quail, guinea hens and pheasants, and I lived a mile away from someone with a pet cougar.

The laws there aren't very strict, and there's enough space where you can get away with breaking them.

I never knew anyone with a kangaroo, but I did know someone with a wallaby and sugar gliders.

Sugar gliders are not that rare... They sell them in pet shops. Actually I've been trying to figure out how to get a sugar glider from a breeder Wisconsin to me [Razz] (they will give her to me 'free' but I have to find a way to her her here!)

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages