snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » Cat Medicine Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cat Medicine Question
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, my cat that had the tapeworm a while back got sick again. This time, the vet thinks maybe the dewormer did not work the first time. I had the pleasure of giving her a couple of pills. The vet also prescribed a liquid antibiotic for about a week, 2 times per day for general GI problems.

My other cat (the one with the UTI) does really well with meds. I hold him, open his mouth, pop the pill in, and we're done. No scratching, no biting.

This one, however, does not do well with meds. I gave her pills yesterday, liquid this morning. I attempted to wrap her in a towel to sort of bind her legs to her body so she couldn't move so much. I was worried about her getting hurt, as well as myself getting hurt. I dread the next 11 doses. She scratches and thrashes. Plus, after I gave her the dose, she was drooling for the longest time. I imagine trying to get the taste out of her mouth.

Does anyone have any tips for giving liquid antibiotics (which apparently taste bitter and awful despite added flavoring) to a cat?

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ouch My Ankle
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I try to get the medicine as far down my kitty's throat as possible. That way she at least gets some of it. She doesn't make it easy, though. I find that I can't be shy. I need to just jam the dropper in there and squirt.

Administering feline medicine really requires two people. Wrapping kitty up in a towel doesn't seem like such a bad idea so long as it's not tight. I've also been known to wear leather gloves when I have to play vet.

I once asked the vet why they don't make the stuff in liver flavor. I didn't get an answer, though.

Good luck!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oh pleeze
It's So Cheesy (to Fall in Love)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i put the liquid meds in a small bowl with an equal amount of tuna water, they have no problem lapping it up. good luck.

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose I'll try the tuna water first. Otherwise, I'll try to round up two extra hands.

Thanks!

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
archyros

Icon 208 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oh pleeze:
i put the liquid meds in a small bowl with an equal amount of tuna water, they have no problem lapping it up. good luck.

I second that---works for me whenever I have had to give a cat liquid meds.

Also, if you have to use a dropper, you have got to get another person to help. But if you get that dropper far enough in, they will have to swallow the stuff. [Big Grin]

Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm no expert, but this is what I do

I had to give my cat some liquid antibiotics because he was sneezing when I first got him.

1) Fill the syringe with medicine.
2) Hold the syringe behind my back so he doesn't know I'm coming with the medicine.
3) Sit next to him and start petting him
4) WHen he's relaxes, pin his head down on his cheek, place my arm on the entire lenght of his body
5) Draw his lips back to expose his canine
6) Pour half of the medicine in the gap in his teeth behind his canine

The medicine goes right to the back of his tongue, and his gag reflex makes him lap it all up. If I can still hold him in position, I give him rest of the medicine, otherwise I have to run after him and entice him with treats

The medicine itself isn't too bad tasting, but Nico doesn't like being held, and there is no way he is going to take any medicine voluntarily. I don't think he hates the medicine as much as he likes making us run after him. He thinks it's a game, and usually I don't have to hold him tight after I pin him once

Oh I could do the sme thing with a dropper but I don't like the it because the dropper drips while I'm running behind him and the syringe is more reliable for pouring the medicine

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually do it by grasping the skin on the back of the neck (like a momma cat) and pulling back. It pulls his head back and opens his mouth just a bit. Then I slide the dropper into the corner of his mouth, and squeeze.

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillins

quote:
Originally posted by Ouch My Ankle:
I once asked the vet why they don't make the stuff in liver flavor. I didn't get an answer, though.

Are you in a city? I know that in Tucson, you can take kitty medicine to a pharmacist that can put the liver flavor in.

A little expensive tho.

Ouch My Ankle

quote:
Originally posted by chillins:
Are you in a city? I know that in Tucson, you can take kitty medicine to a pharmacist that can put the liver flavor in.

A little expensive tho.

Huh... Perhaps I'll try that next time. My cat is a little weird, though. She'd probably hate it [Wink]
Lydia Oh Lydia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For my meds, the vet added chicken flavor. She warned me that this particular antibiotic might still taste awful, even with the flavor added.

ETA: I just re-read my post. For the record, I meant the meds for my cat, not MY meds. [lol]

--------------------

spriken
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spriken   E-mail spriken   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK i can tell you how to restrain your cat for the meds.
first off get the meds ready
Than take a sweat shirt put it on her just like you would yourself but get her head and body in the sleeve than take the rest of the shirt and wrap it up over her body so no claws can get out.
Put her were between your legs.
Than tip her back like you would to give a baby meds and just follow the other tips on getting her to swallow.
she will be pissed but the meds will get there. [Razz]

--------------------
The cat is watching me

Posts: 47 | From: Fall River, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Marzndruz
Silly rabbi, kicks are for Trids!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marzndruz   E-mail Marzndruz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe our little buddies are very smell- and taste-sensitive, but sneaking meds into their food never works. We've found that what works is filling the dropper first, then doing the ol' surprise attack. I sit on the floor (preferably linoleum or some other hard surface that won't them to dig their rear claws in for purchase for a leap away), with my legs spread and the cat backed in. [Eek!] Work the tip of the dropper into the corner of the mouth, force the jaw open, tilt dropper downward toward throat and squeeze. Hard. Repeat if necessary.

Only problem is, our cats very quickly learns the scent and/or the timing of the med so after a few doses there's a merry pursuit through the house once the med bottle has been opened.

Extra bonus hint: It really helps if puss has had his/her claws trimmed [Big Grin]

--------------------
My doctor told me to drink more. I didn't realize he was talking about water.

Posts: 183 | From: San Diego | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LadyLockeout:
I usually do it by grasping the skin on the back of the neck (like a momma cat) and pulling back. It pulls his head back and opens his mouth just a bit. Then I slide the dropper into the corner of his mouth, and squeeze.

That's what we do with our lot too. I have learned from experience that it's a heck of a lot easier to do with the Persian because it causes him to open his mouth really wide and you can get the dropper near the back of his throat.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Liverwurst. Or butter.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mccliii

My cat has had to take medicine for almost two years. The first few days were rough. She hated it and it took two people and there was much blood lost on both sides. I don't know if the SO talked to the vet or found something online but started grinding up the pills with a little chicken boullin. With a little water the medicine is drawn up into a dropper. The cat will kind of lap it up into the corner of her mouth. She now runs to the SO when she heard the medicine being prepared. We bought a special little mortar and pestal just for the cat.
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewZer0   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Like LLO, I do the grab the neck like a momma cat thing. Make sure the cat is on the floor and use your arm to sort of pin her back -- hand has the skin at the base of the neck, elbow is in kitty's back.

We call that the Death Vet Hold. Also works with towels.

This will usually force the mouth open. If not, put your fingers at the coners of the mouth - it will sort of pop the jaws open. (Does that make sense? It does to me, but it's 1:30 A.M.)

Rubbing the throat will also make the cat swallow, though that trick works better with pills.

I like the tuna and chicken water ideas, though.

Good luck!

--NewZer0

--------------------
I study medieval literature because that's where the money is.

Posts: 1431 | From: Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shades of Pale

Lydia, have you asked your vet to call a compounding pharmacy to have the medicine compounded into another form? I know I couldn't give my rabbit his medicine orally; I couldn't get it into him until they compounded it into a dermal gel that I could rub inside his ears. Torture time became bonding time in a snap.

A good compounding pharmacy can compound the medicine into a dermal gel, a lip balm (ok that one's for humans), a better-flavored liquid or pill suitable to the animal in question, gummy bears, lollipops, suppositories or just about any other thing you can imagine.

I'll never screw around with medicines an animal proves resistant to anymore; it proved long-term traumatic for my animal trying to force it on him and their little lives are too short.

It might be worth a shot asking.

http://www.mcguffpharmacy.com/products.htm

Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard of mixing liquid meds in butter and spreading it on the cat's legs so they're compelled to groom it off.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Rikku
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Rikku   E-mail Dark Rikku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately, i don't think there's a general rule to force medecine on a suspicious cat. Mine actually looks like she's swallowing, but she's really spitting the damn thing out the side of her mouth.

There's a hilarious piece about cats and medecines in Terry Pratchett's The Unadulterated Cat , but I don't have it with me and it might conceivably be thought of as a copyright violation if I quote it. Might post it later on, though

--------------------
Dark Rikku
Santorum happens
Hail bloody marys

Posts: 148 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NewZer0:
We call that the Death Vet Hold. Also works with towels.

You have to medicate your towels? [Confused]

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shades of Pale

Auntie, I tried that before having the medicine compounded. Mortar/pestled the pills and mixed them with a tiny bit of peanut butter (which rabbits like) and rubbed it on his front paws.

He was forced to groom it off the first couple times, albeit in an absolute rage. By the third or fourth time he was so depressed he stopped cleaning altogether and started REALLY losing his mind when I came near him.

Naturally rabbits are not cats. Cats aren't as easily or badly traumatized.

But compounding is a viable option for many medications.

Lydia Oh Lydia

Shades of Pale, I did ask about an alternate form of meds. The vet told me that it had to be pill form (which was too large for the kitty) or liquid form. Maybe they can't do alternate forms at my vet?

Last night, the tuna water worked. This morning, I'm not so sure. She wasn't interested in eating anything. I decided to have SO monitor her to see if she drank the tuna/medicine water after I left. If that doesn't work, I'll try one (or several) of the restraint ideas.

Thanks so much to everyone!

--------------------

Shades of Pale

No, the veterinarian can not do the compounding to be sure. It has to come from a compounding pharmacy; it's just that the compounding pharmacies around here need the vet to actually call in the prescription. Most likely all the vet him/herself has available is pill or liquid. There is so much more.

I do hope you will make some calls; as once you rub the cream into those ears and see that your troubles are all over and kitty is getting better, it will not only make it all worth it, you will never look back lol. Seriously!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages