snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » Three children kick wallaby to death at zoo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Three children kick wallaby to death at zoo
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just so wrong.

quote:
Three youngsters have been arrested after thugs broke into a zoo and kicked a baby wallaby to death.

Staff at Dudley Zoo spotted three children aged between eight and 11 acting suspiciously shortly before the attack last Wednesday. The five-month old marsupial was later found in a pond.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Two Scoops
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Two Scoops   Author's Homepage   E-mail Two Scoops   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's bad.

For some reason though I find it odd to be calling an 8 year old a thug.

Posts: 846 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wee Bastods!

Should have chucked them in with some giant red kangaroos to see who'd win the kicking competition...I mean, I know kids will be kids and can be cruel etc but sometimes it's just beyond the limits.

Sad.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's something seriously wrong when a child's reaction is to hurt a cute furry animal instead of wanting to pet it.

Where were their parents?

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ciara...
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Ciara...   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Too disgusted to sufficiently comment right now.

--------------------
-Oh, we'd all like to lick the great Superman, Jimmy.

Posts: 2298 | From: Eastern Scandinavia (Sverige) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...I hope.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 211 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lexi:
There's something seriously wrong when a child's reaction is to hurt a cute furry animal instead of wanting to pet it.

Fighting in Iraq?

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lucian
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucian   E-mail Lucian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These wee tykes sound like serial killers in the making. Wonder if we can find out if they have a history of bedwetting and starting fires.

Lucian "utterly disgusted" Phoenix

--------------------
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei

Posts: 183 | From: Rocky Mount, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barns & No Bull:
quote:

Fighting in Iraq?
Ooooooooh!! Handbags!!!

--------------------

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Warlok
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warlok     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Fighting in Iraq?
Give me a NFBSking break! Other than the obvious snark value, was this a serious response? If so I'll address it - if not, back to my original statement.

Warlok

--------------------
Inconceivable

Posts: 2755 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How on earth do children wind up with such a lack of respect and empathy towards animals that they can do something like that at such a young age? Ever since I can remember I've loved animals and known that you need to "be nice" to critters and pet them carefully and don't pick them up unless they are accustomed to it. And I didn't even grow up with lots of pets around me. It simply blows my mind that children can be so cruel to an animal. I can understand the cruelty of children to one another in terms of bullying and teasing (I don't agree with it, or find it pleasant, but I understand why it happens), but cruelty to animals? To me, that's one of the most disturbing traits to see in a child. If they can't even be kind to an animal, what on earth are they doing to the other children around them?

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wallabes are upright human like animals too. If they can do something like that to a wallabe, breaking into his home and kicking him to death, who's to say that they'd have any qualms about breking into someone's back yard and doing the same to a toddler?
Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The amusing (in a sick sorta way) thing is that if they HAD broken into a kangaroo pen and "kicked" it (which I assume would have ended very quickly after that) the animal would have probobly been put down.

A dog in my home town was forced to be put to sleep after a kid broke into its pen and was teasing it (the kid was known for teasing it before but through the fense) and the dog attacked him. He was ok (pretty hurt, but ok) but the dog was put down.

Neighbors of mine, never knew the dog.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LolaRennt
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LolaRennt   E-mail LolaRennt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I had been the dog owner, I would have pressed charges against the kid for breaking onto my property and destruction of property. In addition I would have fought whatever agency in the decision to put the dog down, especially if I had records of recent shots and exams that show the dog was healthy. If the dog had still been put to sleep, I'd have sued the kid's parents for the loss and the damage to the fence. If I had ever caught the kid teasing the dog, I would have scared the kid so bad that he would have learned never to trespass...

Quite frankly, I think the kids that kicked the wallaby to death need to be "put down" and save the world from the misery they will eventually cause...

Of course that's harsh, and I know it wouldn't happen. But it felt good to express it.

LR

Posts: 780 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution

Icon 204 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Blue:
The amusing (in a sick sorta way) thing is that if they HAD broken into a kangaroo pen and "kicked" it (which I assume would have ended very quickly after that) the animal would have probobly been put down.

A dog in my home town was forced to be put to sleep after a kid broke into its pen and was teasing it (the kid was known for teasing it before but through the fense) and the dog attacked him. He was ok (pretty hurt, but ok) but the dog was put down.

Neighbors of mine, never knew the dog.

Oh, you mean if it had been a kangaroo instead of a wallabe and if the kangaroo had kicked the kids?

Yeah, that is sad. Humans should be more accountable for our own actions.

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sub-Contractor
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
{Up on soapbox}

What the heck?
Get these kids help now. It's never too late to save a child...even a teenager.
Spare me this throw'em-in-a-pit, get-rid-of-them-before-they-cause-more-trouble tripe.
People aren't disposable [flame]

(Unless, of course, they offend me greatly [Wink] )

{Down from soapbox}

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Something's been bothering me about this story. It doesn't say how long it was estimated to have taken the kids to kick the wallabe to death. Wallabes are big enough, I'd think that it would take a long time to kick them to death.I'd also think that some noises would be made, I can't picture it being a silent affair. Also, what led up to the incident? Were the children throwing sticks at it? Maybe since there were three of the little terrors working on him it went faster, but still...

Where were the zoo keepers? Where were the parents? Where were the other zoo patrons? If I saw children doing that, hell I don't care if they are children. I'd try to stop them. I'd get help!

Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I dont know alot about wallabes, but they did say it was a baby, maybe that played a part? But your right there are alot of details currerntly left out of the story.

In response to the dog story responses (uhh.. yea).

No charges could be placed because, in Jersey at least (based on what I know) you are pretty much always responsible for certain things.

Another example (not involving animals) is a swimming pool. You can have a fence, no tresspassing signs, locks, the whole nine yards. If some kid breaks in and gets hurt or drowns, its your fault.

It is a real shame about the dog, I am fairly sure no lawsuite was brought up. Sadly, when a kid gets hurt, often times things leading up to that injury (that are a result of the kids own actions) are overlooked and they just wanna punish whatever caused it. Heck just look at all the "jackass" injuries. Its always about shifting the blame, and animals dont really have any rights (at least not in comparison with humans).

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lulu the Black Mage

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sub-Contractor:

People aren't disposable [flame]

(Unless, of course, they offend me greatly [Wink] )

Soylent Green is made from People!! PEOPLE!!
resELution

Oh how funny. I hadn't seen that movie. SOYlent green huh? Soy? Could that have been the movie that spurred the soy-phobia some people have?

resE"Avid consumer of soy milk and edamame."Lution

First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Fighting in Iraq?
Naah. Definitely at an anti-war protest.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sub-Contractor

Icon 601 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lulu the Black Mage:
Soylent Green is made from People!! PEOPLE!!

See, even great literature and cinema agree with me. [Big Grin]
LolaRennt
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LolaRennt   E-mail LolaRennt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Blue:
Well I dont know alot about wallabes, but they did say it was a baby, maybe that played a part? But your right there are alot of details currerntly left out of the story.

In response to the dog story responses (uhh.. yea).

No charges could be placed because, in Jersey at least (based on what I know) you are pretty much always responsible for certain things.

Another example (not involving animals) is a swimming pool. You can have a fence, no tresspassing signs, locks, the whole nine yards. If some kid breaks in and gets hurt or drowns, its your fault.

It is a real shame about the dog, I am fairly sure no lawsuite was brought up. Sadly, when a kid gets hurt, often times things leading up to that injury (that are a result of the kids own actions) are overlooked and they just wanna punish whatever caused it. Heck just look at all the "jackass" injuries. Its always about shifting the blame, and animals dont really have any rights (at least not in comparison with humans).

If I caught the kid on my property, teasing my dog, I would call the police and press charges for trespassing. It's my property and the kid is there uninvited, therefore I have the right to call and insist on pressing charges. Whether or not the charges stick, is something else completely...

LR

Posts: 780 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is so sad but I would hardly refer to a wallaby as a cute, fury animal. The ears stick up like horns and they look like the devil himself. I have a friend who does educational animal shows and the wallaby is about the only animal she has that will "bite the hand that feed it". I admit they are rather small ( here's a pic of my son with a wallaby ), my son was three in the photo and about the same size as the animal. (Its kind of hard to tell the size in the photo since the animal bent down to eat my kid's shoe.) Still the things can be vicious. I know the kids shouldn't have been near enough to it to find out but I assure you that if a wallaby ever tried to hurt my child I'd give it a quick lesson in survival of the fittest. I'm not defending the kids actions as they should've been no where near the animal but I still wonder if the wallaby "started it". I wouldn't think so if it was a baby but (at least grown) wallabies can move pretty fast to get away if they want to. I've seen them easily clear kiddie pools in a jump or go onto a shelter roofs. Please note my dislike of wallabies in no way excuses the kids' actions. I still think they're a bunch of little bastards.

ETA: Notice the solid fence in the photo. The owner of the animals was required to put in aditional fencing so that people could not see the animals from outside of her property. Her "exotic" animals were considered an attractive nusciance. The point is that the owners of such animals also have a responisibility to keep not only the animals but also the stupid and curious public safe.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chimera, the animal in question was only 5 months old so little more than a baby. Adult wallabees can be viscious but one that young is very small and unlikely to be able to give three 12 years olds much of a fight [Frown]

--------------------

fyregirl
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fyregirl   E-mail fyregirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
I'm not defending the kids actions as they should've been no where near the animal but I still wonder if the wallaby "started it".

"It is believed the attackers climbed over the fence to get to the animal."

I don't think the wallaby started it. I agree that there certainly are vicious animals (some more so than others, of course) and their keepers/owners absolutely have a responsibility to keep them AND the public safe, but in this case I think we have some deeply troubled boys.

resEcoffinheadLution, I agree with you, but my gosh, what a terrifying thought. [Frown]

--------------------
And I never want to see your rodentish faces again!

Posts: 1215 | From: Connecticut | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Chimera, the animal in question was only 5 months old so little more than a baby. Adult wallabees can be viscious but one that young is very small and unlikely to be able to give three 12 years olds much of a fight [Frown]

Only five months old [Frown] sorry I had missed its age. That is really sad. Poor little thing probably never had a chance. Even though I'm not fond of the animals I don't see how kids can be so cruel.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tangueray and Whine
Deck the Malls

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Tangueray and Whine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tangueray and Whine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No mention of the parents in that article. WTF is wrong with them? Why weren't they with their children? Why did they raise their kids to be so evil? They need to be sterilized before they bring anymore monsters into the world.

--------------------
If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?

Posts: 332 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel

How could they?

-

--------------------

Nolly
Fin City

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How could they?

-

Indeed [Frown]
The face reminds me of my JRT. If it were MY child who did this, she'd be in therapy straight away! (not that she would do anything of the sort...she wouldn't even kill an insect)
I grew up with kids like the wallaby killers. 3 of them are in/have been in jail. Surprise [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Black Strawberry Mamba-ade

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I honestly thought the subject line for this topic read "Three children LICK wallaby to death at zoo".

They oughta have to carry out some sort of community service, preferably at the Humane Society under some serious supervision.

Strawberry "Although I like the kangaroo suggestion!" Limeade

Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't want those kids anywhere near animals, supervised or otherwise. If you want them to repay the community for this outrage, have them pick up litter on the highway or something. They've already proven that they cannot be left with animals.

A similar thing happened in my hometown around a decade ago. A much-loved donkey at a local park/farm was beaten to death one night. The perpetrators were never IIRC found, but if there's a silver lining it's that out of that tragedy the Pasado's Safe Haven (Pasado being the name of the donkey) was founded to aid injured animals.

Anyway, I've gotten to the point where I can't even watch that Animal Precinct show because the things people sometimes do to animals under their care absolutely sicken me. I think that if I was at that zoo and I was the guy who found that poor thing, I'd have to be restrained from beating the living crap out of those kids.

John Craven

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages