snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » spider's webs on drugs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: spider's webs on drugs
Silver
Deck the Malls

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Silver   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if this has already been covered on here, but has anyone seen this? http://www.cannabis.net/weblife.html
My dh asked me to look at it tonight because of the way I react to caffiene. I drank a Starbucks frappacino around 6 pm, and I'll be up all night. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"To begin with take warning, I am surely far different from what you suppose;"
~Walt Whitman

Question everything . . .

Posts: 266 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
heh - the spiders in our front room at Uni were spaced out on a more or less constant supply of virtual blow-backs, and didn't spin webs at all - they just mooched about, eating pizza and cheese doodles like the rest of us! [lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My only questions is how they gor the spiders to take the drugs. Dissolved them in water, maybe?

- Pseudo "web of intrigue" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
My only questions is how they got the spiders to take the drugs. Dissolved them in water, maybe?

It's in the headline on the page,
NETS MADE BY SPIDERS FED ON DRUG-DOSED FLIES

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The caffiene bit was covered on "Hey! Spring of Trivia," which should really not have been cancelled. Apparently, caffiene has the same effect on spiders that alcohol does on humans.

Incidentally, I remember another sotyr about spiders sent into space. They got motion sickness from the weightless environment and spun screwed-up webs.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
interesting . . . I'm glad to know that caffiene doesn't do that to humans, anyway, lol

--------------------
"To begin with take warning, I am surely far different from what you suppose;"
~Walt Whitman

Question everything . . .

Posts: 266 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boots - no longer muffin with honey
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Author's Homepage   E-mail Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My only questions is how they gor the spiders to take the drugs. Dissolved them in water, maybe?

I was wondering the same thing. Now that I know, I'm not that sure about this. Wouldn't the drugs first being in the flies have some effect on the drugs' effect? Maybe, I think so, although the webs do prove the opposite on this...or maybe the spiders are just really bad web builders.

--------------------
Come on! Ninja kick the damn rabbit!

Posts: 273 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just liked how the spider on LSD got OCD.

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
quote:
My only questions is how they got the spiders to take the drugs. Dissolved them in water, maybe?

It's in the headline on the page,
NETS MADE BY SPIDERS FED ON DRUG-DOSED FLIES

Perhaps she meant how'd they get the flies to take the drugs? [lol]
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jacob's Child
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob's Child   E-mail Jacob's Child   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to wonder how good the photography of these webs is. I understand that capturing a spiderweb on film can be tricky.

Looking at the first picture (spider on LSD), on first impression it looks like the spider didn't spin anything but the outreaching spars, but if you look closer you can see crossbars clearly in the top left-hand side, and even more faintly in the bottom right-hand side of the web. Who's to say that the crossbars aren't everywhere, making a perfect web, but the photographer didn't manage to pick them up on film?

My suspicions aren't helped by the fact that the photos look rather low-tech.

Judy

ETA: typo

--------------------
In an avalanche, no individual snowflake feels responsible.

Posts: 402 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Liza
What's My Lime?

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Liza         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These pictures are also in the book The Three Pound Universe , along with an explanation of the study. I based my science project in my Junior year on that.
Posts: 122 | From: BFE, Florida | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages