snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » A dog named Jim

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A dog named Jim
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 204 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is it true that there was a dog in Missouri in the 1920's and
30's named Jim who could, among other things, read and understand several
languages?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Chupacabra
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 206 posted      Profile for El Chupacabra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about that, but I used to have a dog that when you would ask him, "How's life treating you?", would respond with, "Rough"...
Posts: 83 | From: Southern California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"And what's that thing on top of the house?"

"Roof!"

"And who's the best baseball player of all time?"

"Ruth!"

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Then when the circus manager threw the man and his dog out of his office, the dog turned to his owner and asked, "Think I should have said DiMaggio?"

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Whats the outside covering of a tree?"
"BARK!!"

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK! All of you!

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chin Pansy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, he was barklingual.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My foster dog, Gateway, occasionally sounds like he's saying "Yes!" when he barks. It's not a clear "Yes!", more like Astro or Scooby-Doo: "Rresh!"

However, one time when I asked him "Do you need to go potty?" and I swear he answered "YES!" quite clearly. It shocked me and I stared at him for a few moments, wishing I'd gotten it on tape. He hasn't done it since, and it was just a fluke, but it was kinda spooky and cool.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chin Pansy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love it when dogs manage a human word. Maybe you should have the video ready whenever you ask if he needs to go potty. (or, pot pot, as I call it in my house.)
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dog just sneezes on command.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oh pleeze
It's So Cheesy (to Fall in Love)

Icon 204 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
this is what i found.

Jim, the wonder dog

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a sucker for stories like this, no matter how it might have been done. Good' ol' Jim the Wonder Dog. [Smile]

Here's some eyewitness accounts from people who met Jim when they were children back in the 30s. I particularly like the "10 pennies" story.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages