snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » Stoned animals

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stoned animals
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 218 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have heard since my youth (I am now 34), rumors of
animals found alive encased in stone by quarry workers who release them
when breaking rock. The animal is usually a frog or toad, but the most
unbelieveable version tells of a pterodactyl emerging from limestone, and
flying a few feet before dying. A search on the internet provided me with few answers, only a
retelling of the same rumors. Did any of this ever happen? Common sense
tells me no.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have a definitve cite for it but I've heard the same stories about frogs and toads. The explanation was that the animal got into the area when it was small going after bugs and then got too big to get out.

I'm not sure how useful that might be though.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What I don't understand is how the animals were supposed to be staying alive.

Ana

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The way I heard it there were small crevices and cracks where bugs would go into the space where the frog or toad is so they had something to eat. Water could also enter the space that way.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
just a few links about this
not helpfull in why
Unmuseum web page living fossils page

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Candy BOO
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry--the only example of anything remotely similar I can come up with is the Michagan J. Frog Looney Toons cartoon. [Razz]

-Candy "Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gaaaal" Q.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alluvian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alluvian     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, certain frogs and other cold blooded animals can go into a very extreme sort of hibernation.

There are frogs in africa for example that thrive and mate during a rainy season and then bury themselves in mud and go dormant till the next rainy season when the water seeps down to them and revives them.

I have heard on shows like the discovery channel that these frogs can stay dormant and alive under the mud for years at a time.

So I could see these stories being somehow tied to arid region frogs like these or the theory of crawling into a crevice and getting too big to get out while food and water are still plentiful enough for survival.

In the OP I hope to God he was not asking for verification on the pteradactyl story though. Anyone over 10 should be able to figure out the veracity of that claim.

Posts: 97 | From: Florida - USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ametrine

Just a comment about the OP. I have a book laying around in my house about unexplained mysteries and they go into depth about this one. It did state that back in the 1800's or so that miners did encounter pteradactyl sort creature that seemed to be living in the rock. It died shortly after being exposed to the sunlight, or possible the air.

Of course there's no proof of this occuring, either these men where lying/hallusinating/exaggerating. I just remembered about that when reading this thread.

I'm getting the urge to walk the dinosaur!

the420

Icon 604 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoa, totally different than what I expected the topic to be about.

The "pass the spliff, Rover" 420

BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Me, too, was just about to tell my anecdote about when the dog ate our hash cakes.
Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking it's based on human physiology. This is what I learned from James Bond Goldfinger with the naked chick painted in gold scene.

The human skin like you do, also breathes in oxygen. If the human skin is covered completely in paint, the victim can suffer from asphyxiation (excuse my crude spelling) which is caused when the skin doesn't receive any oxygen. The victim can still receive oxygen only if there's a small enough bit of holes in the paint covering.

I believe they said they left a small patch on the actress' back in order for her skin to breathe. There has been rumors she died in the acting, but they say she lived through the few hour process with the small non-painted patch on her back to keep her skin breathing.

----

Edited: My point in this is that it could be semi-related where animals have skins and they could need exposed areas in order to breathe oxygen. Amphibians, like frogs, adapt from oxygen to water so pooring water into the crevices can still enable him to breathe. But also needs ability to breathe oxygen still.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
super chicken

quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
I was thinking it's based on human physiology. This is what I learned from James Bond Goldfinger with the naked chick painted in gold scene.

The human skin like you do, also breathes in oxygen. If the human skin is covered completely in paint, the victim can suffer from asphyxiation (excuse my crude spelling) which is caused when the skin doesn't receive any oxygen. The victim can still receive oxygen only if there's a small enough bit of holes in the paint covering.

I believe they said they left a small patch on the actress' back in order for her skin to breathe. There has been rumors she died in the acting, but they say she lived through the few hour process with the small non-painted patch on her back to keep her skin breathing.

These guys proved the Goldfinger myth to be false. A discussion of the episode in which the myth was recreated and proved false is here .
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you super_chicken - You beat me to it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages