snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » Operation for dog who ate 28 golf balls

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Operation for dog who ate 28 golf balls
oh pleeze
It's So Cheesy (to Fall in Love)

Icon 500 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Vets have operated on a dog who had become sick after swallowing 28 golf balls.

golf balls....that is

[ 23. April 2004, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: snopes ]

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fyregirl
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fyregirl   E-mail fyregirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy mackeral Annie!

Fyre 'lucky dog, lucky dog, I'm a lucky dog...' girl

--------------------
And I never want to see your rodentish faces again!

Posts: 1215 | From: Connecticut | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fuchsia
Xboxing Day

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Fuchsia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"They are all brown from the stomach acid but we are keeping them to show people."
Nice cocktail party conversation, eh? "Here, lemme show you what the dog's been up to. Want some more melon balls?"

I think Libby was doing her imitation of Cool Hand Luke the main character in a 1967 prison flick of that same name.

quote:
To pass the time on a rainy day, Luke bets that he can eat 50 hardboiled eggs in an hour. As the seconds tick down, a sickly-looking Luke manages to choke down the last egg to win the bet.

--------------------
Nothing makes sense, so let's have no more nothing and stop making sense.

Posts: 1353 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On a serious note, I've encountered people who buy toys for their dogs that are much too small for their mouths. Please, people, remember that dogs can very easily choke on or swallow things, including toys they're playing with. Especially retrievers, who *HAVE* to have something in their mouths at all times. (Hey, they're retrievers after all!) It's a good thing the dog's going to be okay, but I cringe every time I see a dog playing with a ball that is way too small for its mouth.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 86 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Along the same line. Pet CPR
Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steelmage
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, if you tie some clubs on the dog's back he might make a perfect caddy. [Wink]

But really, there is a dog, there is balls, dogs love balls; and the owner of the dog could not do simple math to figure out that the dog will go after the balls and possible swallow them?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fuchsia
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuchsia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cervus:
Your warning reminded me of how my cat, when he was a teeny kitten, choked on a feather attached to a wand toy. It was very scary, but fortunately we could open his jaws to get it out.

I think pet toys should have the same type of age warnings that appear on human toys.

Fuch "This toy is not meant for kittens under 2 months" sia

--------------------
Nothing makes sense, so let's have no more nothing and stop making sense.

Posts: 1353 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alex in a material world

Cervus & Fuchsia's remarks also apply to bird toys. Bird owners, please make sure the toys you buy for your birds are size-appropriate. A toy that's too small for a bird can be a choking hazard, and a toy that's too large can be hazardous in other ways (ie., they can get their necks stuck in them, etc.).

Re: the OP: I feel bad for the pup and am glad he's ok!

Alexina

Friend of a Frog

Does "too dumb to live" apply here?
I mean, in the history of dogs, which pull some pretty dumb crap, this is the first one that ate TWENTY-EIGHT golf balls.
Over 2 dozen flavorless things that it couldn't break apart with its jaw, and had to force down.

Whether the owner's a bad owner or not, it's one step over from swallowing stones.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages