snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » Do Goldfish grow to the size of their containers?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do Goldfish grow to the size of their containers?
slycat
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 606 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It has always been common knowledge that a goldfish will grow to fit the size of their containers. If you keep one in a bowl, then it won't grow more than a couple of inches, but put the same goldfish in the lake, and it will grow to be over a foot long. Is this really true? I have seen carp over a foot long, but how can a fish control its growth?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ursa Major

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Goldfish, carp and koi release hormones into the water and their growth is regulated by how high a concentration of those hormones they are able to detect. If you want to watch a goldfish outgrow its container simply change the water twice a day.
Warlok
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Warlok     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that a recipe for "Bonsai Goldfish" [Big Grin]

Warlok

--------------------
Inconceivable

Posts: 2755 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
slycat

Icon 606 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is too funny. Thanks for the info.
Dr. Van Thorp
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Dr. Van Thorp   E-mail Dr. Van Thorp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In either Charley and the Chocolate factory or Great Glass Elevator, Willy Wonka has goldfish that have been tricked into growing into the block shape of the inside of their tanks. Willy accomplished this by placing underwater photos of large lakes around the tanks.
Posts: 374 | From: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MamaBird
We Three Blings

Icon 600 posted      Profile for MamaBird     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this one's true! Not a friend of a friend, but my own mother got tired of her two pet goldfish when she was a youngster, and solved the problem by "setting them free" in the horse tank on her sister's farm. They did indeed grow to be more than a foot long. Their descendents were still thriving in the tank when I visited that farm more than 30 years later.

MamaBoid

--------------------
It takes a sexually stimulated man to make a chicken affectionate.

Posts: 1034 | From: Central Illinois | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gold Toes

This is a common misconception.

No, a goldfish cannot grow to its full size in a fishbowl. However, the internal organs keep trying to grow, and what ends up happening is that the fish experience organ failure and die after (at most) a couple of years.

When properly kept (at least 20 gallon tank for one or two, add 10 gallons for each additional goldie) a common feeder goldfish will reach up to 8" and live anywhere from 15-20 years.

Keeping them in bowls is really one of the more horrific things you can do to an animal.

http://www.aquaticcritter.com/Freshwater/Goldfish_secondclass_citizens.htm

What was mentioned about the growth hormones in the water telling the fish when to "shut off" growth is partially true, but the internal organs of the fish will keep expanding until they become deformed as the fish's body can't get any bigger (referred to as "stunting")

jgriffith

I can only confirm that which I have experienced. I've got a regular carnival style goldfish that was added to a 75 gallon freshwater tank along with a few other large fish, and years later it's a good 7" long at the least. Seems to be moderately healthy and likes to interact with people, not unlike the dog-like behavior of domestic koi. you put your hand in the water and he'll let you pet him.

jason

resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 206 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jgriffith:
I can only confirm that which I have experienced. I've got a regular carnival style goldfish that was added to a 75 gallon freshwater tank along with a few other large fish, and years later it's a good 7" long at the least. Seems to be moderately healthy and likes to interact with people, not unlike the dog-like behavior of domestic koi. you put your hand in the water and he'll let you pet him.

jason

*girlish squeal*

I love it when fish let you pet them. Ihad some goldfish taht died after a couple years, and now I'm thinking I won't get more unless I can have a big pond for them.

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fledibat
Deck the Malls

Icon 600 posted      Profile for fledibat   E-mail fledibat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gold Toes:

No, a goldfish cannot grow to its full size in a fishbowl. However, the internal organs keep trying to grow, and what ends up happening is that the fish experience organ failure and die after (at most) a couple of years.

Oh dear. I feel like an awful person now. I have, through my ignorance, caused needless suffering for at least 10 goldfish. Although, I did have a betta in college. Less than aweek after getting Mister Fishy, he got moved from that nasty cup to a 5-gallon aquarium. Probably still smaller than he needed, but a hell of a lot better than that cup he could barely turn around in.
He ate out of my hand and let me pet him. I miss him.

Posts: 239 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chelle

quote:
Originally posted by fledibat:
Less than aweek after getting Mister Fishy, he got moved from that nasty cup to a 5-gallon aquarium. Probably still smaller than he needed, but a hell of a lot better than that cup he could barely turn around in.

Lol. I currently have a beta named Mr. Fish. [Big Grin] And BTW, a 5 gallon aquarium is fine for a beta.

-Chelle

abby 68
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 06 posted      Profile for abby 68   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gold Toes:

When properly kept (at least 20 gallon tank for one or two, add 10 gallons for each additional goldie) a common feeder goldfish will reach up to 8" and live anywhere from 15-20 years.

Keeping them in bowls is really one of the more horrific things you can do to an animal.

http://www.aquaticcritter.com/Freshwater/Goldfish_secondclass_citizens.htm

What was mentioned about the growth hormones in the water telling the fish when to "shut off" growth is partially true, but the internal organs of the fish will keep expanding until they become deformed as the fish's body can't get any bigger (referred to as "stunting")

This I never knew [Frown]

But any goldfish I have in the future will be going into oversized tanks [Big Grin]

Posts: 1932 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gold Toes

quote:
Originally posted by keeta:
This I never knew [Frown]

It's unfortunate... but petstores are out to sell things. Goldfish are easily replaceable, as are bettas, so they often get sold with horribly inaccurate care instructions.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages