snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » Megalodon in captivity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Megalodon in captivity
Jolypha
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jolypha   E-mail Jolypha   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Supposedly a baby Megalodon is in captivity but it will be announced in February of this year. There is also a connection with The Discovery Channel.
Megalodons have been extinct for several thousands of years. Good thing--the thought of giant sharks is creepy (and I love sharks, too)

Posts: 377 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chava
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You need a few more details. Where did you hear this? What sort of connection with DC do you mean?

There have been discoveries of sea creatures known only from fossil record and believed extinct. The deep ocean is a vast unexplored region. But scientists with earth-shaking discoveries are not famous for keeping their mouths shut. They're more likely to publish before they have all the facts, preferably in an unrefereed journal like the New York Times.

Chava

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cure the Blues
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cure the Blues     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could they mean the megamouth shark, instead? Those sharks *do* exist, and are pretty rare.

Cure the "now if they only could get a goblin shark" Blues

[This message has been edited by Cure The Blues (edited 01-09-2001).]

Posts: 1186 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jolypha
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jolypha   E-mail Jolypha   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cure the Blues--did you name your moniker after the Thoroughbred by that name?
Posts: 377 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cure the Blues
We Three Blings

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Cure the Blues     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolypha:
Cure the Blues--did you name your moniker after the Thoroughbred by that name?
Guilty as charged . All my Internet nicks are derived from racehorses. The lone exception was on the old Vinery forum, where I posted so infrequently I decided to use the show jumper Altair's name. You wouldn't be the same Jolypha on the LetItRide forum? It took me months to discover where all the Vines had run off to.

Cure the "feeling kind of embarrassed; I rooted for AP Indy in '92" Blues

Posts: 1186 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jolypha
Deck the Malls

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Jolypha   E-mail Jolypha   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's me!!!! Jolypha from Vinery. Vinery just got back up, but we've been posting as Letitride.com.
I dated Alle from there.
Met the infamous Great Communicator at the Breeders' Cup.
Met the posters Awad, Pulpit, Bobby C. More Than Ready/Arazi, Kynick, Go For wand, Anet, Benny, Maui, Foo Ghazi, Red Ransom, Flawlessly, Glenners at the BC, too.
What a small world!!!!

IrateDwarf
Asparagus Spears

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IrateDwarf   E-mail IrateDwarf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard about the Megalodon in captivity. Yes, Megalodon (Scientific name Carcharodon Megalodon) not the Megamouth. Here is an idea of what the Megalodon was like when it was alive. Take a 20-25 foot great white shark(Just a little smaller or the same size as "JAWS"). Multiply it by 3. Picture an animal with a head the size of a dodge ram. It could sense a particle of blood, urine, or sweat in over a billion parts of water. I could hear the faintest heartbeat of a minnow that was 6 miles away. With teeth 6-7 inches long and skin as tough as a...um...well, it was tough. This thing was unstopable. This was the most meanacing predator know to man. The T-Rex and all those other dinosaurs are nothing. Anyways, I do believe these creatures could still exist in deep, unexplored water, but I doubt they have these in captivity. I suggest reading "MEG" by Steve Alten to learn more. You can go to www.stevealten.com to learn more about this creature.

------------------
"A gun is a tool. Just like a hammer. Or a wrench. Or an alligator."-Homer Simpson

Posts: 2171.14159 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dunno, I went to the page and I don't think I learned anything other than that Steve Alten has a pretty good site for publicising his books. As far as the rumour about an actual Megalodon being in captivity, all that I learned was that there were "legal reasons" why Steve couldn't tell us any more than the bare minimum (i.e. that he had heard that there was one). He then launches into an imaginary tour of the centre that features in his book The Trench.

Can anyone shed any light on what "legal reasons" might prevent a pulp author from expanding on a mere "rumour"?

I say bah humbug

Embra "hunting of the shark"

And edited to direct you to Ben Roesch's arguments for the non-survival of the species, which I found thorough and interesting.

[This message has been edited by Embra (edited 01-10-2001).]

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aart

Can anyone tell me how to distinguish a baby megalodon from a baby great white?
I think the only thing thatīs different is the maximum size.

Jolypha
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jolypha   E-mail Jolypha   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Alten's book, MEG, was made into a movie and was supposed to be released in 2000. Uh, what happened? Anyone know?

(see the Internet Movie Database)

Jolypha
Deck the Malls

This guy on another forum said in the late 70s a US naval frigate ship was leaving Pearl Harbor and headed towards the continental USA, when a large object kept coming close and then veering away. It finally slammed into them and they lost sonar, so they had to turn around and head back to port.
The ship was put in dry dock and a huge bite mark was found on the hull where the sonar array was bitten off.

Chava

quote:
Here is an idea of what the Megalodon was like when it was alive. ... It could sense a particle of blood, urine, or sweat in over a billion parts of water. I could hear the faintest heartbeat of a minnow that was 6 miles away. ... This was the most meanacing predator know to man.

How do we know the capabilities of a creature no one (or even almost no one) has seen, let alone studied carefully? And if it's not still alive, how does it know man? Since there aren't many records of its attacks, it doesn't seem very menacing in the present day.

Chava

Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Chava - there is a small collection of anecdotal evidence, and only a small proportion of this can be pinned down to actual named places, people, dates etc.

What I also find unconvincing is the theory that these animals are evading us by living at great depths. As Roesch points out, the way a shark hunts and lives simply does not match the conditions in deep ocean trenches (even if you let them live in volcanic vent-warmed ater, as Alten does in MEG. What's more, would it not harm them to come to the surface?

Just tuppence ha'penny's worth (in old money ) from a non-expert. I'm willing to hear further proofs!

Embra "megamouth"

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
IrateDwarf
Asparagus Spears

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IrateDwarf   E-mail IrateDwarf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure of all the details, but I think some specimans have been pretty well preserved (I.E. With cartilidge and everything) because sometimes while creatures were swimming along the bottom of the ocean a huge earthquake would occur and trap the animal underneath, preserving it.

------------------
"A gun is a tool. Just like a hammer. Or a wrench. Or an alligator."-Homer Simpson

Posts: 2171.14159 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
danielinthewolvesden

Nope- gotta be an UL, or even a publicity stunt. The Monterey Bay Aquarium, of which I am a member (just lapsed, tho) specifically said they could not keep a "great white" alive in their big "outer bay" tank- and if THEY can't, I don't think anyone else can.

I guess they could EXIST- but not alive in captivity. Besides- how could you tell a "small one" from a regular Great White?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages