snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Automobiles Archive » The Beast

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Beast
jonnyflashbang
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When i was little i had a book on rare and customised cars, which i loved.
I always remember it had a car simply called the Beast, this had a rolls royce symbol and grill, but was nothing to do with rolls
the guy who made it was a bit mad because he put a rolls royce spit fire engine in the car, all 24 litres (if i remember correctly)
He detuned it to 750 bhp and was banned for british roads when rolls royce received letters requesting the new model
Can anyone tell me if this holds any truth or if the book i was reading was just spinning a poor little boy a yarn

[ 19. September 2005, 07:54 PM:   snopes ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RichardM
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RichardM   Author's Homepage   E-mail RichardM   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There have been several cars made with aircraft engines. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was the actual name of a real car made in the 20s or 30s like that. Also, relying on my memory which is a dangerous thing to do, there was a more modern Rolls done this way in the 70s. I think I recall an article on it in the auto magazines of the times.
Posts: 129 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RichardM

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RichardM   Author's Homepage   E-mail RichardM   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Wickipedia

Automobile use
In the 1960s John Dodd of Kent, England put a Merlin engine (some say it actually was a Rover built Rolls-Royce Meteor, which was a de-tuned Merlin without superchargers and with steel components replacing some aluminium ones) in a car called "The Beast". Originally it had a grille from a Rolls Royce, but after complaints from them he had to change it. According to his own account he once drove by a Porsche driver on the autobahn who then called Rolls Royce asking about their "new model". The Beast was once listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's most powerful road car. The engine came from a Boulton Paul Balliol training aircraft and gave 1262 bhp (941 kW) at 8500 feet (2,600 m). In the car there was no supercharger so it "only" delivered about 850 bhp (630 kW). The chassis was custom made with a fibreglass body and used a General Motors TH400 automatic transmission.

Posts: 129 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
justjim

Now if we could only get a picture of the beast... all things would be revealed.
SchmooPie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SchmooPie   E-mail SchmooPie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by justjim:
Now if we could only get a picture of the beast... all things would be revealed.

Here is a link to an auto BB discussing it and the OP has photos

This link looks cool I hope it comes back on line.
(if not I'll delete this one)

--------------------
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
- C. G. Jung

Posts: 243 | From: Marina del Rey, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jonnyflashbang

thank you very much
you have made me very happy
i loved that car and still do.....have to admire the madness

Revolution 9

I've heard a great deal about that car, the guy got sued by Rolls Royce for that car, they used to be very protective and paranoid about who was using their name on cars not built by them, I suppose it makes sense, it is copyright infringment after all, but they followed it up even more than any other company ever did. There's a guy over here in the UK who's putting a Rolls Meteor engine into a Rover SD1, a journalist called (I think) Charlie Broomfield. I must make the effort to see that car in the flesh once it's done, he's done a fair bit of work to it, not least to the shell, but the Meteor engine now sports throttle body fuel injection instead of the massive SU carbs it had, and even a home-made electronic management system, and it drives a custom gearbox made out of various parts of a Leyland Lepoard bus driving various other scrapyard-found parts to push power out to the rear wheels, which are bloody massive!
RichardM

I thought the Leopard was a military tank. I too, want to see this car when it is finished.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages