snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Automobiles Archive » Woman trapped in car dealership, calls 911 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Woman trapped in car dealership, calls 911
Cat Grey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 213 posted      Profile for Cat Grey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't find any articles about this story, but here's a link to the video: video (Hope that works)

Apparently a woman was shopping for a car. Negotiations broke down, but the sales-vultures refused to let her leave. She finally snatched her keys and one of the forms (which had all her personal information) and made a run for it... so they blocked her car in. She called 911.

The dealership is now suing those former employees for the cost of their settlement.

Cat "aggressive negotiations" Grey

--------------------
"Beer assuages grief. No one tells you that." ~Arrow-Tech IV

Posts: 1612 | From: Darkest America (Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas) | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thing I was unclear on, based on the report, is what car the woman was driving away: the car she arrived in or the one she was trying to purchase. I guess, given the result, it was her own car, but at one point one of the chasers claimed that she was taking their property. Perhaps they were negotiating a trade in?

I actually had a car salesman tell me I could not leave the lot without buying a car from him. (Fortunately Ex-TGuy is a very powerfully built man so there was no way that would have happened), which I thought was aggressive enough. This is off the hook!

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's horrible, but it almost sounds like she was leaving in one of their cars. If so, I don't blame them for trying to stop her from leaving with it. If not, despicable.

ETA: spanked by TQGirl!

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
24K_ Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the strong impression that she was in her own car, as they said in the report that she took her keys and ran.

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fyregirl
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fyregirl   E-mail fyregirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand it that she got to her own car and was leaving. The property that they claimed she had must have been the paperwork she grabbed that had her personal info on it when she ran.

Absolutely terrible. Unreal what people will do.

--------------------
And I never want to see your rodentish faces again!

Posts: 1215 | From: Connecticut | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did they think, after chasing her through the office and blocking her in the lot, that she'd say, "okay, I'd love to buy the car after all?" Seriously, what did they think they were going to accomplish by their actions.

TQGirl- I'm interested in your experience. Why exactly did they say you couldn't leave? Was he physically trying to keep you in his office?

I wonder if other women have been similarly pressured into buying a car, possibly just giving in out of fear? Or maybe being duped into thinking negotiations had gone too far and they felt obligated to procede?

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sad as it sounds, I can believe it. The local Nissan dealership categorically refused to give me my keys to leave when I was looking at a new vehicle a few months ago. My son was cranky (and rightfully so), and I repeatedly asked for my keys back so I could leave, but they kept shuttling back me back and forth between sales managers, as well as leaving us completely alone in the showroom for long stretches.

Looking back on it, I should've been a lot more forceful. I had my cell phone, and it would've been a small matter to call the police.

My experience was different from TG's in that they never said I couldn't leave, but rather they wouldn't give me back my keys and were very slippery about it ("give me my keys" "my sales manager has them, let's go back to his office"). Since that experience, I only give dealers my valet key when they're evaluating a trade, and I always keep my real key with me. Then I'd only have to figure out where they're hiding the car.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 213 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just curious, how did they get your keys in the first place? Do car dealers have valet parking?

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Starla,

It was an all around bad experience. I was looking for a kinda sporty two door. The dealer didn't have anything that met my criteria. Salesman A tried to convince me that what I really wanted was a four door and probably one with a hatchback because and this is a direct quote "Women have to take care of other people and it's hard for kids and the elderly to get out of the back seat of a two door car. And you need to haul groceries."

Needless to say, this did not go over well. I started to leave. My (now ex)husband was looking at something that caught his eye, and was lagging a few yards behind me. As I was about to leave the lot, two other salesmen came up and stood in front of me. One of them joked "Hey, now, little lady! No one leaves this lot without buying a car today!" Still, it was two guys blocking my way.

Ex-TGuy, who is a rather substantial (as in muscular) human being came up behind me and said "My wife will leave any time she wants to" and they let me pass. Still, the whole thing was very, very creepy!

Needless to say, they did not get my business, nor will they in future.

Fyregirl, that makes sense, that it was the papers they were talking about!

Some places ask you to give them your car keys if you are going on a test drive, as some sort of collateral, I think. Of course it means that you have to talk to them to give them back. Personally, I never turn them over. If that's a deal breaker, then I go somewhere else.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I hadn't thought about the test drive issue. Makes sense.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to volunteer my services for anyone who needs an intimdation factor in buying a car (or in any other negotiation). I can just sit/stand behind you and make it clear that you will not be screwed around with. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkette:
Just curious, how did they get your keys in the first place? Do car dealers have valet parking?

Many times they will ask for the keys so they can take the car to the used car lot for appraisal.

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
24K_ Kate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When we started shopping for our 4-Runner, we didn’t take the car we were planning on using as a trade with us. In fact, we didn’t even mention we had a trade until we decided on which one we were going to purchase and a price had been negotiated . Heck, they let us take the 4-Runner home before we even decided we were going to buy it for 2 days with nothing more than our signatures on a piece of paper and a copy of our photo ID. I guess procedures vary depending on where you are.

24k”Of course, our car salesman was fired right in the middle of our transaction, but that’s another thread”Kate

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Two anecdotes of people held hostage by dealers Dealer tricks at the auto shop

A report on a sleazy car dealership in NAshville TN Like A Rock (Over the Head)
quote:
Other Bill Heard dealerships also have found themselves in trouble for these kinds of tactics. Last year, a Bill Heard dealership in Florida agreed to pay $325,000 after a woman claimed that a salesman grabbed her keys and refused to give them back when she said she couldn't afford the car. By midnight, the exhausted woman said that she relented and purchased the car, thinking that was the only way she could go home. Bill Heard didn't admit to any wrongdoing, but it agreed to pay the settlement and cease all deceptive practices.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The author of the first article is a bit misguided. SO is the finance director of a dealership and used to be in sales.

Lavish trips? Vegas excursions? I think not. Even if they were getting trip bonuses off selling cars - so what? They don't deserve a bonus? Do you have any idea what kind of hours they work? I'm lucky if I see SO 2 nights of the week before I go to bed.

It's a difficult way to make a living. Some aren't very good at it and make up for that by being shady.

ETA: I'm not saying there aren't bad apples out there. I know of several dealerships that used the key trick in the past, but SO's isn't one of them.

ETA: because I have to say
quote:
Did you know that you're paying for an auto dealer's vacation every time you purchase a car?
That's ridiculous! Every time you buy something from any company the money is going into someone's pocket.

--------------------

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PsychoWoman
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoWoman   E-mail PsychoWoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my former co-workers had her car sold while she had one of the dealer's cars at home for an overnight test drive. When she went back the next day, they said, "oops". Luckly, she planned on buying the car and received a great deal on it because of the dealer's mistake.
Posts: 201 | From: Tampa Bay area, Florida | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsychoWoman:
One of my former co-workers had her car sold while she had one of the dealer's cars at home for an overnight test drive. When she went back the next day, they said, "oops". Luckly, she planned on buying the car and received a great deal on it because of the dealer's mistake.

This wasn't by chance at Frontier Ford in Albuquerque, NM was it? That was (before the state AG actions) one of their favorite maneuvers.
Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless you've signed over the title, I'd report the car stolen. I'm sure it'd turn up real quick.

I've never traded a car in. Doesn't seem like you'd ever get as much as if you sold it yourself. I've had dealers play the 'let em wait' game, tho...after about 10min I walk out, and that gets their attention.

My best advice is never finance through the dealership. They may offer 0%, but usually it's a choice of 0% or a rebate...the rebate is probably pretty close to the extra interest you'd pay financing it elsewhere. I go test-drive cars, but try never to go back into the building after the test-drive...that way they can't pull anything. After I've decided to buy the car, I go back in with a bank check in hand. That cuts out most of the haggling...they can't play numbers games with the financing vs. the purchase price.

Caveat Emptor

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
My best advice is never finance through the dealership. They may offer 0%, but usually it's a choice of 0% or a rebate...the rebate is probably pretty close to the extra interest you'd pay financing it elsewhere.
But if it's the same as the interest you'd pay to finance elsewhere - then what's the difference? Why is paying the interest elsewhere better than 0% at the dealership?

ETA: AH, wait, you get the rebate and pay the interest off elsewhere. But you could just do the 0% and be in the same boat.

--------------------

Mr. Furious

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The cars I buy never have 0% financing available, and I've never been able to take advantage of a rebate.

I always shop around for financing, and the past three vehicles I've purchased have been financed via the dealer.

As long as you pay attention, you'll be fine. Their main trick is to just keep showing you the monthly payment and nothing else. Ask to see all the numbers - price of the vehicle, value of your trade (if you have one), interest rate, and the monthly payment that equals out to.

The Honda dealership, for example, lowballed me by $1800 on my trade. Or, more accurately, they tried. I told them what they could do with their vehicle.

--------------------

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
meanjelly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meanjelly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
the main reason to do this is before you decide on a car. They try to sale the car on monthy payments instead of cost. Therefore, they will talk you into a more expensive car over 7 years or so.

However, if you get a bank loan for 20,000 grand you can skip all the dealership BS and only shop for cars that cost less then 20,000.

Plus they cant "trap" you three while they "check your credit."

You take away their power. This pisses the dealership off.

--------------------
Education... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
G. M. Trevelyan (1876 - 1962), English Social History (1942)

Posts: 1443 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Well, they are simply trying to make a living meanjelly.

--------------------

Cosmo
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cosmo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine was out on a test-drive with a cardealer and the dealer told him to pull over on a relatively secluded street. she actually started to come onto him and told him that she was very attracted to him and would he go out with her that night. etc. etc. when they got back to the dealership, there were two security guards waiting for him. The dealer ran off quickly and the guards cornered him and said that they had seen him in the car "assaulting" the dealer and if you close the deal right now and drive the car off the lot, they'd "forget" this ever happened.

--------------------
"Look at the size of Tifa's breasts! They're destroying our childrens future!"

Posts: 92 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by meanjelly:
Therefore, they will talk you into a more expensive car over 7 years or so.

Then all you have to do is be firm. The Honda Pilot I was looking at would've ended up being too expensive for me, and the salesman suggested going from a 60-month loan to a 72-month loan. I told him no. When he tried again, I told him no. When he suggested a 66-month loan, I said no.

Just remember that you don't have to buy a vehicle from this salesperson or this dealership.

--------------------

Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdymcnerd:
ETA: AH, wait, you get the rebate and pay the interest off elsewhere. But you could just do the 0% and be in the same boat.

Then you'd have to deal with the dealer's finance guy, and they tend to be the shadiest of the bunch. Going in with money (or check) in-hand cuts out 90% of the BS they try to pull, and makes it a much smoother transaction. Since all the research and half of the paperwork is done, it's quicker. In addition, they know you're serious when you go in with the money, so I've found there's less pressure on both of you, and the salesperson is more relaxed.

My other bit of advice: If, at any time, you feel uncomfortable or pressured...WALK OUT!

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Magdalene
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magdalene   E-mail Magdalene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lived in Tulsa, I went to a dealership in Broken Arrow. I was planning to trade my car in and get a new one, so I gave them my keys to evaluate my car while I looked at the new ones.

Well, I decided the new ones weren't what I wanted after all....and things got interesting. First it was, "Take the car home with you overnight--once you have it, you'll want it." Well, I didn't want a car that wasn't mine sitting in my apartment's parking lot overnight, so I refused. They wouldn't give me my keys back (they kept playing games about it), so eventually, I threatened to call to police and report them for grand theft auto if my keys weren't returned immediately. I had my keys back in two minutes flat.

Magdalene (who now keeps spare keys with her at all times)

--------------------
"Don't mess with me. I dance with swords."

Posts: 1656 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All this is good advice, but when I'm in a scary situation, I get tongue-tied and very nervous, and sometimes don't have (or take) time to think rationally. I imagine that has happened to many people, and that's what the salespeople are preying on.

Also, yes, you need to be able to walk away, but some brands are only sold at one dealership - a local place just got the contract to be the only Hummer dealership within 150 miles. What if you have your heart set on a Hummer?

[fish] myself for my dirty thoughts there.

All that to say, yes, a customer always needs to be able to walk away, but knowing they can walk away doesn't excuse a salesperson's bad behavior.

Eve "That's why I bought a Saturn" MG

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Magdalene
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magdalene   E-mail Magdalene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking of getting a Saturn for my next car for that very reason....I do love my Jeep Cherokee, but it's getting on its last legs (please hold out until I get a job, please)...I bought it before I moved to Colorado, foolishly thinking, "Mountains, ice, snow--I'll need four-wheel drive!"

NOT. (Well, occasionally, but nowhere near as often as I'd thought I would.)

It is great for all the stuff I usually have to haul around though....

Magdalene
Who loves her car and will miss it

--------------------
"Don't mess with me. I dance with swords."

Posts: 1656 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dewey

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dewey   E-mail dewey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a little general advice. If you make a bad deal financing your car at a dealership, you can refinance it at a bank. I just bought a new car and then received a notice from my credit union for an unusually good rate. I applied for the loan and refinanced after only one payment on the original loan. I was even able to shorten the duration of the loan.

dewey

Posts: 2413 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Originally posted by Delta-V:
quote:
Then you'd have to deal with the dealer's finance guy, and they tend to be the shadiest of the bunch.
Hey! I'm marrying one of those shady guys!

ETA: I'm not really going to mar him.

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Try to mar him permanently if you can...
[Wink]

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I didn't realize how bad it could be. I bought my Escort at Enterprise and I didn't have a problem. They let me test drive as many cars as I wanted. Then again, they have no hassle pricing so you know what you're getting without having to haggle.

I'll keep these experiences in mind when I decide it's time for another car. I think taking SO or best friend with me will be the way to go when I do.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
meanjelly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meanjelly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdymcnerd:
Originally posted by Delta-V:
quote:
Then you'd have to deal with the dealer's finance guy, and they tend to be the shadiest of the bunch.
Hey! I'm marring one of those shady guys!
congrats

--------------------
Education... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
G. M. Trevelyan (1876 - 1962), English Social History (1942)

Posts: 1443 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magdalene:
When I lived in Tulsa, I went to a dealership in Broken Arrow. I was planning to trade my car in and get a new one, so I gave them my keys to evaluate my car while I looked at the new ones.

Well, I decided the new ones weren't what I wanted after all....and things got interesting. First it was, "Take the car home with you overnight--once you have it, you'll want it." Well, I didn't want a car that wasn't mine sitting in my apartment's parking lot overnight, so I refused. They wouldn't give me my keys back (they kept playing games about it), so eventually, I threatened to call to police and report them for grand theft auto if my keys weren't returned immediately. I had my keys back in two minutes flat.

Magdalene (who now keeps spare keys with her at all times)

I had a very similar experience in Houston. We were deciding between a Ford and a Mercury SUV and went to look at Fords. They didn't have our color at that lot, so the dealer drove us to their sister lot in a dealership vehicle. We looked at it, said we'd think about it and were ready to leave. The dealer, after not being able to pressure us to agree to buy that moment, asked us to take it home to think about it. We said no thanks, and he finally drove us back to the first lot IN THE CAR WE'D BEEN LOOKING AT. When we got there, the dealership had closed for the night (2 hours earlier than most lots closed) and our car was locked onto the lot. So we had to take the darned thing home, although hubby refused to leave our keys with them. He said it's not our fault you locked our car up, give me our keys!

We came back the next day to get our car and give them theirs and the salesman got irate and screamed at us that we had to buy the car. He said we'd misled him. He sent his manager over to pressure us and tried to keep us from leaving, saying we lied to his salesman to take the car for the night and we had stolen from them by taking it dishonestly.

We explained what had really happened and that he needed to move so we could leave. When he didn't move, hubby asked "Are you refusing to let me leave your store?" Then the guy finally moved and apologized. That dealership lost our business forever. The salesman at the other place we shopped was nice and straightforward.

I'd walk out on any sneaky salesman, and call the police if they won't let you. They aren't all like that and the ones who are shouldn't be rewarded for it.

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

quote:
Originally posted by Eve MG, a little granola: All this is good advice, but when I'm in a scary situation, I get tongue-tied and very nervous, and sometimes don't have (or take) time to think rationally. I imagine that has happened to many people, and that's what the salespeople are preying on.
I know how that is, but what I'm saying is don't get yourself in that position in the first place. Don't give them your keys, and don't play their games. If you walk out at the first sign of pressure, they'll back off. If you get flustered, they'll push harder. (Another tip...bring a friend for moral support. One who's been coached to say "come on, let's go".)

quote:
Also, yes, you need to be able to walk away, but some brands are only sold at one dealership - a local place just got the contract to be the only Hummer dealership within 150 miles. What if you have your heart set on a Hummer?
Nothing says you can't drive 150mi to another dealership. I bought my Talon at a dealer 250mi from home, because they had the exact car I wanted (one of only 2 in the surrounding states), and the local dealer wanted $500 to do a dealer transfer. Heck, I know someone who trailered his Lotus 800mi to the nearest Lotus dealer just for the first oil change (ok, that was a bit nuts, but...)

quote:
Originally posted by nerdymcnerd: Originally posted by Delta-V:
quote:
Hey! I'm marring one of those shady guys!
I'm not sayin' they're all bad, but if there's anything shady going on at a particular dealership, you can bet the finance guy's in on it!

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages