snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Automobiles Archive » Suicide Chicken?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Suicide Chicken?
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 602 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was very young and falling alseep in the back of the car on a long ride home at night. Just as I was drifing off my mom swerved the car and sreamed, "There's a man on the road!" I jumped up and looked out the rear window and there was, indeed a man standing in the middle of the road. It was all very surreal. I was traveling again on that same road with my mom, and am now in my 20's. We brought up that night and she said that originally, she saw him lying down on the yellow line, and he only stood up after our car had passed by him. She said she was going to stop, but when she saw him stand up she thought better of it.

Could it have been a car jacking tactic? Would it have been a for of the game chicken or a man bent on suicide? It's been years since this happened, but looking back it was very "I know what you did last summer"esque.

Are there any UL's that fit the description? It was just weird, and scary enough that I'm remineded of it whenever I drive on that road.
[Eek!]

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Web Spinner *angelwings*
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 96 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Your message sent chills up my spine. One of my greatest fears is hitting someone while driving.
I've never heard of a legend like this, but when I was young, a man in my county committed suicide by throwing himself in front of a school bus (loaded full of high school kids).

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
anue

Icon 602 posted      Profile for anue   E-mail anue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Web Spinner *angelwings*:
Your message sent chills up my spine. One of my greatest fears is hitting someone while driving.
I've never heard of a legend like this, but when I was young, a man in my county committed suicide by throwing himself in front of a school bus (loaded full of high school kids).

That's horrible! They must have been greatly traumatized, as I would have been.

Some people are just too stupid and inconsiderate to deserve us talking about them.

Tree " [Mad] " Hugger

--------------------
om mani padme hum

Posts: 2306 | From: tennessee | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drew

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is this from the snopes site
resELution

Icon 201 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew it sounded like a UL. I read that one a while back. [lol] We have no way of knowing what the man on the roads intentions were, but I'm glad we didn't stop to find out. It's a pretty desolate road.
Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Web Spinner *angelwings*

Icon 600 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Originally posted by Tree Hugger:
That's horrible! They must have been greatly traumatized, as I would have been.

Some people are just too stupid and inconsiderate to deserve us talking about them.

Yes, they were pretty traumatized. I was in elementary school at the time, and I was friends with a girl whose mother was the high school nurse at the time. The nurse had to deal with a lot of vomiting kids after that. (The man smashed up on the windshield from what I understand ... what a horrible thing)
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is, alas, a not-uncommon form of suicide.

In San Diego County, there is a commuter rail line that has seen several suicides.

I am also familiar with a few cases of people jumping from high bridges over the freeways.

It is very, very sad. But it is also reasonable, insofar as suicide can ever be reasonable: letting yourself be killed by a train or truck is about as effective as using a gun on yourself, and probably more effective than drinking poison, or enclosing yourself in a garage with automobile exhaust, or drowning yourself in the sea.

When you have a vast engine of unstoppable power roaring past only a few feet from you...there will be some who will have thoughts of suicide. It's an "attraction," just like a high cliff or bridge.

(The last guy I saw who was in the middle of the freeway was naked and masturbating. My female passengers screamed with laughter! I pulled off at the next exit and phoned the CHP, but they never captured him.)

In a better world, anyone who is suicidally depressed would find counselling, medication, or hospitalization.

In a worse world, people who were determined to kill themselves would be afforded a suicide pill that was quick and certain.

I think we will see the worse world before the better one.

Silas ("...you might as well live") Sparkhammer

--------------------
When on music's mighty pinion, souls of men to heaven rise,
Then both vanish earth's dominion, man is native to the skies.

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor

Icon 213 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see why he would be lying on the yellow line if he was trying to kill himself. I can't what reason he would have for lying there of course.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drew

One of the old hats working here (Rail Project management) told me that 6 out of 10 passenger train drivers have hit a person committing suicide. It certainly is effective. The level of stress related work leave is high among train drivers. One bloke who used to be a driver and is working here said they usually smile just before they step out in front of the train. Like they are pleased with the driver for what they are about to do. (he hit 3 people and quit because of it) I've never questioned "high" level of pay drivers are supposed to get after hearing this.
PixiKat
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 101 posted      Profile for PixiKat   E-mail PixiKat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
when i was younger... about 12 or so, my sister and a couple of friends of our's would walk along the yellow line... lol... but no laying down... [Razz]

--------------------
meow... >^._.^<

Posts: 51 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Obscene Jellybean

Icon 301 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PixiKat:
when i was younger... about 12 or so, my sister and a couple of friends of our's would walk along the yellow line... lol... but no laying down... [Razz]

A few years ago my ex was driving home on an unlit highway... there was very thick fog, so thick he could hardly even see. All of a sudden, out of the darkness he sees some human forms take shape... four of them, all walking stretched across his lane of the highway, joined arm in arm. He swerved to miss them (barely) and almost hit the ditch...

That has scared me every time I drive with fog...

[Frown]

hautdesert

I don't know if I can shed any light on this, but I do, in fact, recall hearing something about this. My (hazy) memory is of an article in Time magazine, though it will have been some years ago--maybe eight or nine years. Or not.

Anyway, the gist of what I read was that there had been several deaths among groups of teens who were doing this (lying down on the yellow line) as a sort of thrill. There was supposedly some movie that some parents blamed on this, saying the kids had been imitating it. I don't recall the name of the movie, or any more details about the article.

It's not much, I know, and the memory is murky, but there you have it, for what it's worth.

hautdesert

Found it! But the whole article isn't available unless you pay. It's from Nov. 1, 1993. The movie was "The Program," which I've never seen. The only other site I found that mentions the incident says:

quote:
Pennsylvania teenager Michael Shingledecker was one of five individuals run over by a truck after lying down in the middle of a busy intersection. The inspiration for this idiocy: a scene from the college football movie "The Program."
edited to fix some stupid coding

*sigh* edited again to add the link to the Time article.

guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
imdb.com says of "The Program":
quote:
The original release of the film contained a scene where several ESU players laid down on a busy main street. The scene was cut after a number of similar incidents occurred across the US, many resulting in serious injury.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blt

When I was a teenager I was with a group including a neighbor who tended to be a troublemaker. On a whim he sat down in the middle of the driving lane of a very busy street. The first car to come along screeched to a stop just in time and he then got out of the road. The rest of us were screaming at him the whole time and afterward asked him what possessed him to do such a stupid thing. His answer was something about proving he had the power to make the driver stop. [Roll Eyes]

OK, the guy wasn't very bright, he thought he was pulling something over on the 'man' by saving a packet of Koolaid with Saccarine after it was banned.

bl"had it taped to the back of a picture on his wall"t

tarheelnursek

Icon 86 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember many years we were on vacation, driving to the Outer Banks of NC. My Dad was notorious for taking backroads to any destination. We were driving at night, it must have been about 3 or 4 AM.It was foggy,foggy,like the worst I had ever seen, and Dad was creeping along. All of the sudden the headlights reflected off something and we stopped.
It was an African-American man walking down the center line. He had on dark clothes, but was wearing an old safety helmet( like WW1 helmets) painted with metallic paint. We just missed hitting him. I realize now that he was walking like someone who is just this side of being too drunk to walk. At the time, I just thought he was clumsy.

Kimberly Blue

Icon 82 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
something like this actually happened to me about 18 months ago. I was driving home from a friends hose late at night/early in the morning on a country road. Lots of trees and the houses were very spaced out. There was a man sitting up in the middle of the road. Freaked me out! So I slowed down a bit after I passed him. I saw him get up and start walking toward my car and I took off. Not far up the road was a car pulled off to the side, running, with the lights off. Don't know if one had anything to do with the other and if so, what they were doing...but I didn't stick around ro find out. I did contact the sheriff about the guy hanging out in the middle of the road, though.

Creepy.

K

MWF

Yep it's not an uncommon suidcide as something similar happened on my local A-road a month or so ago. A woman threw herself from an overpass and was hit by about 8 cars.
ShyannAutumn

Several years ago there was a movie that came out about some boys on a football team. They would all lay on the yellow line in the center of the road playing chicken with passing cars.

I remember when it came out our community had a problem with Juveniles imitating the scenes.

I wish I could remember the name of the movie or the date it came out. I believe late 80's or early 90's.

Crafty

Icon 24 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by arachnidwan2b:
imdb.com says of "The Program":
quote:
The original release of the film contained a scene where several ESU players laid down on a busy main street. The scene was cut after a number of similar incidents occurred across the US, many resulting in serious injury.

I actually saw "The Program" before that scene was cut - it was actually a pretty good movie from what I remember. In the scene, several upperclassmen took 1 or two frosh's out, got drunk, and then all laid down on the line, it was something they did "all the time" for a rush.
I remember hearing about idiots that actually imitated that and thinking that hopefully none of them had contributed to the gene pool yet.

Me "But it worked in the movie!" crafty

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages