snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Fun House » Hey, Furby!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey, Furby!
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just picked up a Furby for my daughter for Christmas and got it out to put the batteries in ready for the big day.

I'm glad I did... It looks very complicated. She's nearly 4, so she can't read yet to be able to use the Furbish/English dictionary that came with it.

Has anyone ever "trained" a Furby? And since they're supposed to recognise their owner's voice, should I leave it for my daughter to do?

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a Furby, when they first came out. I hated the thing, so I'm not much help.

[hijack] Funny Furby story: My ex-H and I were Christmas shopping at JC Penney, and we found one placed in the wrong department, where someone had dumped it. This was when people were fighting over them. We snagged it. I was thinking ebay, but he apparently wasn't. He opened it up and played with it for a few minutes, and then stashed it behind the seat in his truck, and we went to see a movie. Furby was forgotten. When we got in the truck at midnight, we took a sharp turn, and Furby "woke up", saying "Wheee!" Both of us about wet ourselves.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol] AW!!! I can just imagine something like that happening. HOW funny! [Big Grin]

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That reminds me of this story. Good thing you remembered what it was!

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have two Furbys (Furbies?), actually. They've been "asleep" for about 5 or 6 years, now. Basically, the more you interact with them, the better their "English" gets, but it has nothing to do with voice recognition or learning. Their chips are programmed so that the longer they are regularly active, the more words are unlocked. If you let them sleep for long enough, they will revert to speaking only Furbish. They also get "colds" where they will sneeze. Supposedly you "feed" them and play with them and they recover, but once one of mine started sneezing, it passed it to the other one, and it just was too much trouble to cure them. Hence their emulation of Rip Van Winkle.

They're kind of fun for a while, IMO. I still occasionally say "yum" in a Furby style. It freaks the cat out. [lol]

Edited twice because I'm having apostrophe issues.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just watch out for when the batteries start dying. My little sister's Furby started dying one night and it chose to do it at about 3 in the morning.

I swear, we thought it was posessed. Really scary.

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a Furby from my mom when it first came out (no, it didn't matter that I was an adult). It was fun for a few days.

I can't remember if I gave it away or if it's in a box in the basement.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once had a video of a Furby being run over by a tank. It it woke up when the tank got near it and it tried to "talk" to the tank. It made funny noises as the tread came down on the thing.

Okay, I thought it was funny.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DD1 has a Furby. She digs it out everynow and then and plays with it. I'd say it's a bit complicated for a four-year-old. DD1's 13 and gets frustrated with it when it doesn't understand her.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a Furby - well, technically two. I bought him a couple years ago after the fad kind of died out. I have been known to say "Wheee!" and "Hungie!" just like it. He's on my shelf now, with the other creature, which is technically a Furby, but is Gizmo from "Gremlins."

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We got DD a Furby last year for Christmas when she was 4. She played with it for about a month. She liked singing with it. I had to read the commands for her, but once she had them down she had fun with it. She just "found" it the other day and has been bugging me to change the batteries so she can play with it again.

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
funkyteapots
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 82 posted      Profile for funkyteapots   E-mail funkyteapots   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have two. The one I inherited from my grandmother is possessed. It would routinely have its eyes open in the morning, when they were closed the night before. After I put it up on a high shelf, it woke up in the middle of the night and started talking. Freaked me out, I thought someone was in the house. I had to take the batteries out so that it wouldn't come back to life again.

-- funky "my grandmother is haunting me" teapots

--------------------
Also...I can kill you with my brain. ~River Tam

Posts: 37 | From: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages