snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Fun House » Massachusetts Hold 'em

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Massachusetts Hold 'em
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh heh heh.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Pogue. I saw that this morning too. I had to read the punch line to understand how they were pronouncing "fah".

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
With the shape most newspaper comics are in, it's rare that I can laugh at one in a non-ironic manner.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
With the shape most newspaper comics are in, it's rare that I can laugh at one in a non-ironic manner.

Yeah, the likes of Bloom County and Calvin and Hobbes just aren't seen anymore.
Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's not how we say "four". It's more like "fo-ah." And forty would by "fotty." And least that's how we'd say it where I grew up (just outside of Boston.)

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Forgotten Fay
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Forgotten Fay   Author's Homepage   E-mail Forgotten Fay   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
Yeah, the likes of Bloom County and Calvin and Hobbes just aren't seen anymore.

I dunno if you have seen this or not. I have to read the Yahoo! Comics page everyday.
Classic Bloom County
[Razz]

--------------------
"Smile for me when I cannot Smile anymore..." ~ Myself

Posts: 174 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, AD -- where outside. I used to live in Medfield. Not a native, but my best friend in that HS was from West Roxbury. I think the comic used the fah so people would associate with the whole "pahk the cah" vibe. They should have thrown in a good "pahdayda" (the only phrase that entered my lexicon after 5 years of living there -- drove my mother nuts) to be truly authentic!

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AdmiralDinty:
That's not how we say "four". It's more like "fo-ah." And forty would by "fotty." And least that's how we'd say it where I grew up (just outside of Boston.)

I agree. I can't say I have ever heard someone say "fah" or "fahty" except, maybe, Cliff on Cheers but he was a TV character and I always found his accent annoying.

Little "say 'Pahk the cah in Havahd yahd,' once more and I will beat you with a pipe" Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jocko's Gone Fishin':
Hey, AD -- where outside. I used to live in Medfield. Not a native, but my best friend in that HS was from West Roxbury. I think the comic used the fah so people would associate with the whole "pahk the cah" vibe. They should have thrown in a good "pahdayda" (the only phrase that entered my lexicon after 5 years of living there -- drove my mother nuts) to be truly authentic!

I was born in Boston, but grew up in Everett (the city north of Charlestown.)

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages