snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Fun House » What happens when you mix Diet Coke with Mentos?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What happens when you mix Diet Coke with Mentos?
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some people seem to have entirely too much time on their hands: http://www.filecabi.net/video/domcokementos.html

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool! They should try it on a bigger scale!

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a couple of other clips linked on the Coke and Mentos page on the ULRP, but IMO the domino effect is the most spectacular one.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That was fantastic!

Question...

What is a mento?

and what would the UK version be called?

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
That was fantastic!

Question...

What is a mento?

and what would the UK version be called?

Sort of a cross between a mint imperial and a trebor soft-mint is my best approximation.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saint Gryphon
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint Gryphon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
according ot the wiki

Trebor Softmints and Softfruits, introduced in 1981 and sold in the UK and Ireland by Cadbury-Schweppes are also similar to Mentos, although with softer exterior coatings.

But the corporate site lists mentos being sold in more then 100 countries, so I am sure you can find them somewhere close.

--------------------
Defender of dragons and slayer of fair maidens

Posts: 83 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
stalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stalker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hans - I'm not sure which bit of the UK you're in but you can definitely get mentos in many shops in that London.

ETA: Maybe I've got a blind spot. I can now see the word Sussex in your location.

--------------------
Fetishists Unite! Anti-Fetishists Untie!

Posts: 215 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ever emptied Pixie Stix into a can of soda? FUN!
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mythbusters just had a segment on their show about this(episode 57). They were trying to figure out which ingredient in the mentos was causing the reaction. I don't recall exactly which ingredient it was.

Linkie just for fun.

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why? Well, it has nothing to do with the chemical makeup of the candy. It’s all about the surface texture.

Although Mentos appear smooth, their surface is covered with microscopic nooks and crannies called nucleation sites.

As the Mentos collided with the highly carbonated diet soda, carbon dioxide gas bubbles ran over the surface of the candy. The fluid compacts itself within, then violently expands, causing a small explosion, Friedman said.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Mythbusters just had a segment on their show about this(episode 57). They were trying to figure out which ingredient in the mentos was causing the reaction. I don't recall exactly which ingredient it was.
Many ingredients gave some effect, but none gave that huge geyser, so they concluded that it was a combination.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages