snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Fun House » Why? Why? Why? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why? Why? Why?
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*I found some of these amusing...darn vaccum!

Why, Why, Why ?

Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries are getting weak?

Why do banks charge a fee on "insufficient funds" when they know there is not enough?

Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but check when you say the paint is wet?

Why doesn't glue stick to the bottle?

Why do they use sterilized needles for death by lethal injection?

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Why does Superman stop bullets with his chest, but ducks when you throw a revolver at him?

Why do Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Whose idea was it to put an "S" in the word "lisp"?

If people evolved from apes, why are there still apes?

Why is it that no matter what color bubble bath you use the bubbles are always white?

Is there ever a day that mattresses are not on sale?

Why do people constantly return to the refrigerator with hopes that something new to eat will have materialized?

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?

Why is it that no plastic bag will open from the end on your first
try?

How do those dead bugs get into those enclosed light fixtures?

When we are in the supermarket and someone rams our ankle with a shopping cart then apologizes for doing so, why do we say, "It's all right"? Well, it isn't all right, so why don't we say, "That hurt, you stupid idiot"?

Why is it that whenever you attempt to catch something that's falling off the table you always manage to knock something else over?

In winter why do we try to keep the house as warm as it was in summer when we complained about the heat?

How come you never hear father-in-law jokes?

And my FAVORITE......

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends -- if they're okay, then it's you!

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
When we are in the supermarket and someone rams our ankle with a shopping cart then apologizes for doing so, why do we say, "It's all right"? Well, it isn't all right, so why don't we say, "That hurt, you stupid idiot"?

And why is it that when someone bumbs into me it is me who says 'sorry'?

quote:
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends -- if they're okay, then it's you!

Which reminds me of the joke about the woman who stopped having children after her fifth one because she heard that every sixth baby born was Chinese.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This one actually has an answer! Evolution does not state that "people evolved from apes." Rather, evolution indicates that humans and apes have a common ancestor.

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, TGG. The whole "if people came from monkeys there wouldn't be monkeys!!!" thing hangs my munchkin big time.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it difficult to be amused by these lists because the answers are fairly obvious if you have a basic working knowledge of the world. They seem to glorify ignorance.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Because I'm a sad, sad person, I'm always irritated because I can answer at least half of these kind of questions and they're perfectly plausible, and I admit that that's a bit silly. So, a troutslap for me, I guess. [fish]
But the fact that this one

quote:
is included really makes me angry, because it's an argument frequently used in earnest by creationists and shows an astonishing lack of understanding of what evolution is. It's just not something I want to see included in a list of statements that are supposed to point out obvious silliness.

I'm including this one just because I want to: a similar list includes the pseudo-clever "why do we nail coffins shut?". That is one of my favourite items because the alternative is just great: For some reason, enough pallbearers lose their grip and the body of auntie Ethel rolls out of the coffin and, if the location is right, downhill for a while with the rest of the procession either breaking down in shock or running frantically after the body, which is by then in a bad shape and just flung back into the coffin.
Good slapstick. Bad, bad idea for real life funerals. [Eek!]

ETA: Spanked. Let's say 1 1/2 times for the agreement before I submitted my post? [Wink]

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, Thistle; these things are funny in a Gallagher-esque, Carlin-esque way, but do not really want answers, which would ruin the joke. Indeed, most of these questions have simple answers.

Thanks, Geeky, [ETA Page Three] for addressing the ape question, which riles me, too. I am tremendously peeved by people who don't "believe" in evolution, and who continue to use flawed arguments and questions that only demonstrate their ignorance of both science and critical thinking.

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries are getting weak?
Because sometimes it works, although not often. With less voltage available from the batteries pressing the buttons harder can make a better connection between the the batteries and the IR transmitter, sometimes giving it enough boost for the signal to reach the device.

quote:
Why do banks charge a fee on "insufficient funds" when they know there is not enough?
Because you're bound to have money again sooner or later.

quote:
Because air is required the chemical reactions that most glues need to stick.

quote:
As opposed to what? What company sells unsterilized needles?

quote:
Because the goal of a Kamikaze was to strike his target and he needed to be alive until impact, or at the very least right before it, to do that. Helmets and other safety gear, while silly at first glance, made sure that the Kamikaze pilot didn't die until he need to.

quote:
First of all humans didn't evolve from apes in that sense. Humans and apes both evolved from a common proto ape/human ancestor.

And evolutionary doesn't "replace" animals. Animals evolve to fill new niches in the environment. Just because a new species appears to fill a new niche doesn't mean an older species it evolved from goes away.

Sorry but that one annoys me, because it's often used by evolution deniers.

quote:
Why is it that no matter what color bubble bath you use the bubbles are always white?
Because the bubbles are made up of mostly water.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QB] Why do banks charge a fee on "insufficient funds" when they know there is not enough?

Cuz you have to pay it anyway, they make money that way.

quote:

Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but check when you say the paint is wet?

They can't check the stars for themselves.

quote:

Different reasons depending on the glue. Crazy glue (maybe SUper glue) only sticks to things taht have at least a small amount of moisture.

quote:

The suppliers don't sell other kinds.

quote:

To communicate so they can find the right target.

quote:

Any colour would generall jsut fall to the bottom of the bubble.
http://www.exn.ca/video/?video=exn20060118-bubbles.asx

quote:

Why do people constantly return to the refrigerator with hopes that something new to eat will have materialized?

The hungrier they get, the more certain thing might be appealing.

quote:

try?

Because the manufacturers make it the wrong way, after ripping it off the roll, its the closed end that's in your hand of the loose bag.

quote:

Why is it that whenever you attempt to catch something that's falling off the table you always manage to knock something else over?

Only if you have the wrong reflexes... (i.e. you reach for the object instead of trying to get under it)

quote:

In winter why do we try to keep the house as warm as it was in summer when we complained about the heat?

Heating up air lowers its humidity percentage. I.E. a 26c house in the winter is more comfortable than in the summer because its humidity would be higher in the summer
Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Because glue needs air to congeal, and glue bottles are kept airtight.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Page Three:

But the fact that this one

quote:
is included really makes me angry, because it's an argument frequently used in earnest by creationists and shows an astonishing lack of understanding of what evolution is.
That one hangs my munchkin too. Ditto Ditto everything everyone else said about it.

However now I am stuck wondering ... why DOESNT Tarzan have a beard?!

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if we're answering them, I'll take these:

quote:
Because most of humanity has fortunately understood that going berserk every time someone bumps into you by accident does not help civilization. Note the difference, too, between "that hurt, but it's all right" and "that hurt, you stupid idiot".

quote:
Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Because they want to dispose of the string and the vacuum cleaner is a handy container. The alternatives would be to 1) pick it up and stop vacuuming to throw it away, which is a waste of time, 2) pick it up and feed it directly into the vacuum cleaner, which involves twisting around the vaccum cleaner, or 3) put it down now that it isn't sticking to anything, and simply vacuum it up. I'll pick number 3.

Edit especially for UrbanRenewal:

Here's an excerpt from the original Tarzan of the Apes, by Edgar Rice Burroughs:

quote:
Was not hair commencing to grow upon his face? All the
apes had hair upon theirs but the black men were entirely
hairless, with very few exceptions.

True, he had seen pictures in his books of men with great
masses of hair upon lip and cheek and chin, but, nevertheless,
Tarzan was afraid. Almost daily he whetted his keen knife
and scraped and whittled at his young beard to eradicate this
degrading emblem of apehood.

And so he learned to shave--rudely and painfully, it is
true--but, nevertheless, effectively.

Mystery solved!
Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rainmom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rainmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
[
quote:

I have never seen an execution, but I wonder if they swab the area with alcohol or betadine before injecting the poison. That would be odd.

Rain"does this look infected to you?mom

Posts: 348 | From: Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rainmom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rainmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one I always wondered about...

If no speed limit in the US is more than 75 MPH, why are cars made that go 120+ MPH?

Rainmom

Posts: 348 | From: Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rainmom:
quote:
[
quote:

I have never seen an execution, but I wonder if they swab the area with alcohol or betadine before injecting the poison. That would be odd.

I suppose it's conceivable that they'd get the needle hooked up, and then get a phone call from the governor at the last minute. Highly improbable, but as far as I know possible. Wouldn't it suck to get pardoned and then get an infection because the executioner reused the same needle he used on the last guy?

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Some reasons I can think of: People take their cars abroad and/or the same model may be sold in other markets; in addition, some car models share parts (for the European market, as an example, Seat has used VW engines for years, and I'm sure there are differences in speed limits between Spain and Germany).
Actually manufacturing separate models for speed limits in different places may just be too expensive (order more different parts or start producing a region-specific part that just isn't available from an outside company), have separate assembly lines for different builds, etc). Also, as a minor point I guess, speed limits may change while the cars stay in use.
...and then there's the difference between the scale on the speedometer and the speed your car can actually reach, as evidenced by the scale reaching 230 kph in my car, and the fact that it can do 150 kph max if I'm going downhill with tailwind. [Big Grin]

me, no really

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
[
quote:

I have never seen an execution either - and have no desire to do so. However, I would hope that they do in fact swab the site first. The reason is this: I assume that the doctors involved do not do executions full time. I assume they have a more regular practice as well. The purpose of standardised procedures, and training, is to ensure that the procedure is carried out in the best possible way every time. I would hope that the doctors are accomplished enough that using antibacterial wipes each time is automatic - even when there is no practical reason for it. That is more a protection for their regular patients than for those about to die.

me

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DaGuyWitBluGlasses:
quote:

try?

Because the manufacturers make it the wrong way, after ripping it off the roll, its the closed end that's in your hand of the loose bag.
Actually, some of the stores around here now have a really good solution to this problem. The bags come folded up, so the roll is only about 3" wide. Between each bag is a little slit, and on the dispenser there is a hook. When you pull a bag off the roll the hook catches the slit, the bag rips off the roll, and you're left holding the correct end. It also means you can rip a bag off the roll with one hand. I've seen these at Raley's; I'm not sure if other stores have them or not.

quote:

Actually, I don't do this, and it annoys me when people do. I hate it when I go into a building wearing my winter clothes and it's so hot inside I feel like I want to be wearing shorts. The same goes for summer time when some buildings have the A/C set so cold I need a jacket. There was one classroom on campus when I was in college that was always like this. I seriously started bring a jacket to class during the summer.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Joe Bentley
quote:
First of all humans didn't evolve from apes in that sense. Humans and apes both evolved from a common proto ape/human ancestor.
To be perfectly pedantic, apes were around when humans started evolving as recognizably human. We did evolve from a proto- chimpanzee/human ancestor, but orangutans and probably gorillas were in existance in close to thier modern forms. Both of those lines are much older than human/chimp lines.
But, like you say Joe, just because a subgroup has changed does not mean the original group is not still in existance.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Because Zubbles were only invented a couple of years ago. With ordinary soaps and detergents, if you added enough colorant to make purple bubbles, you would get out of the tub purple. This is not a good selling point.

Thanks to everyone for pouncing so thoroughly on my own munchkin, the "why are there still apes" question that so many creationists think is just devastating. If I'm descended from my cousins, why do I still have cousins? The answer, of course, is You're NOT descended from your cousins, NFBSKhead!

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And here I though all Snopesters were also avid readers of The Straight Dope.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If no speed limit in the US is more than 75 MPH, why are cars made that go 120+ MPH?

Rainmom

The top speed is a product of the force of the car. (The top speed is when Force pushing the car forward equals all forces pulling it backwards, air friction being the one that increases with speed)

So the benefit of having a car that can go 120, is not to get it up to 120, but rather it will go up hills faster, and get to 75 much earlier than other cars (making getting onto the highway much easier for example)

Cars actually take a little while to get up to their top speed.

(This explanation makes more sense with fewer gears. Why are there some cars that have a Xth gear for doing 100-120 mph, then, might be a good question)

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another reason for sterile needles: there is a risk of needle stick injuries to the person administering the injection.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Because that would be very rude.

quote:

I don't. But you do because you're clumsy, you stupid idiot.

[Edited to add: The preceding "you stupid idiot" reply" isn't addressed toward Squishy0405, or anybody else, really. Just a joke which hopefully won't be misconstrued.]

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the basis that taking jokes seriously is enormously irritating I offer the following:
quote:
1. The purported figure of 1 in 4 does not relate to sanity (ie "n. mental illness of such a severe nature that a person cannot distinguish fantasy from reality, cannot conduct her/his affairs due to psychosis, or is subject to uncontrollable impulsive behaviour". Taken from here) but rather to rates of mental illness cite . A mental illness is a necessary but not a sufficient condition for insanity under this definition.

2. The figure of 1 in 4 relates to the number of people who can expect to experience a mental illness (as defined by DSM IV – see previous cite) at some point over the period of a single year in the US - it does not indicate the number of people currently experiencing a mental illness. As the 77% of the 1 in 4 people will experience mild or moderate episodes (which includes substance abuse, anxiety and depression) it is likely that many people will experience the mental illness only for a short period of time. Thus the number of people experiencing a mental illness at any point in time is still unclear from the information provided.

3. Even if point 2 is ignored the figure is a statistical average and does not simplify to the capacity to count out four people and thereby deduce one must have a mental illness. The distribution will be affected by both random and non-random factors. It may be that all the people in one's social circle have experienced a mental illness - or that none have.

4. The statement implies that having a mental illness imparts a social stigma. Although having a mental illness obviously precludes full mental health the implication of the that the person should be viewed negatively and with suspicion is unhelpful. Such stereotypes of mental illness reflect an ignorant and bigoted world view.

Thank you for your time.

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Rainmom

The simple answer is that it's because there's a market for them.

Another answer is that sometimes speed is actually a safety feature: the ability to accelerate quickly can get you out of a tight spot in certain situations.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Rainmom

It's part of a concept called "reserve capacity." You may not need that much power to cruise a level highway at the speed limit, but in order to have enough power to meet demands beyond the ordinary (such as travelling up a long hill, accellerating onto a highway, etc.) you need more power than what is needed for level cruising.

I had the opportunity to drive a Ford Model T for a long distance (my wife's father liked to restore them and her family used to take cross-country camping trips with them). Even though a T is pretty light, it's still underpowered as compared to modern standards. Whereas it's possible for a Model T to reach cruising highway speed on level ground with no wind, whenever we needed to cruise up even a modest incline its pace would slow to a crawl that I would suspect be unacceptable to today's drivers.

Now, having said that, I do think many cars do have more reserve capacity that is actually needed.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Actually, we set the thermostat in winter for 68°F and in summer at 78°F to 80 °F.

Does anybody actually set the winter thermostat higher than 80°F?

quote:

How come you never hear father-in-law jokes?

quote:

John had proposed to young Sally and was being interviewed by his prospective father-in-law. "Do you think you are earning enough to support a family?" the older man asked the suitor.

"Yes, sir," replied Tom, "I'm sure I am."

"Think carefully now," said Maureen's father. "There are twelve of us..."

NIck

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another who was mildly annoyed at these, particulalry the apes one. (On which I'd hasten to add that phylogeneticaly speaking we are apes)

They remind me of the question about why they don't make the planes out of the same material as the black box.

Then again I've never found ignorance amusing, just annoying, especially when its presented in this manner.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
quote:
Originally posted by DaGuyWitBluGlasses:
quote:

try?

Actually, some of the stores around here now have a really good solution to this problem. The bags come folded up, so the roll is only about 3" wide. Between each bag is a little slit, and on the dispenser there is a hook. When you pull a bag off the roll the hook catches the slit, the bag rips off the roll, and you're left holding the correct end. It also means you can rip a bag off the roll with one hand. I've seen these at Raley's; I'm not sure if other stores have them or not.
My local Stop & Shop also has them. It helps.

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

Why it it a pair of pants, but a bra?

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some more annoying whys which includes the "You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?" one.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Matt H.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt H.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
quote:

Rainmom

It's part of a concept called "reserve capacity." You may not need that much power to cruise a level highway at the speed limit, but in order to have enough power to meet demands beyond the ordinary (such as travelling up a long hill, accellerating onto a highway, etc.) you need more power than what is needed for level cruising.

I had the opportunity to drive a Ford Model T for a long distance (my wife's father liked to restore them and her family used to take cross-country camping trips with them). Even though a T is pretty light, it's still underpowered as compared to modern standards. Whereas it's possible for a Model T to reach cruising highway speed on level ground with no wind, whenever we needed to cruise up even a modest incline its pace would slow to a crawl that I would suspect be unacceptable to today's drivers.

Now, having said that, I do think many cars do have more reserve capacity that is actually needed.

Nick

Many models of vehicles are also used as emergency vehicles.

And there are those of us who race street-legal cars.

--------------------
"Who needs the Bible? I've got this magic 8-ball."

Posts: 354 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The one that narks me is, "Why is the third hand on a watch called the second hand?"

Gee, maybe because it keeps track of the seconds?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
quote:

And why is it that when someone bumbs into me it is me who says 'sorry'?

Because you're English, silly. If you were American, you'd say "Hey, NFBSK you, Buddy!" and lob a box of cereal at him. The exchange in the OP was obviously written by Canadians.

Stereotypically,
Blushing Bride

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

Why it it a pair of pants, but a bra?

I once answered the parkway/driveway thing, but I'm too tired to piece the answer together again. I think it boils down to "because you're American. Everyone else drives on their driveways to get their car out of the garage". [Wink]

As to the pair of pants (or trousers): That's because it was a pair originally -- two separate legs. It's a bra because it's a brassiere, a french word originally referring to something entirely different and made of one piece.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages