snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Fun House » Really Odd Toys (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Really Odd Toys
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The stores have already started to push their toys for the upcoming season. I saw this today. I thought it was one of the funniest mainstream toys I have seen.

Share the amusing toys you can find...

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
that is odd

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The new Elmo.

Any toy that makes me imagine someone shooting up on crack and convulsing on the floor can NOT be a good thing . . .

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LittleDuck, I saw that today and went huh?

One, there are enough horses around here that m child at 3 will already know that baby horses can walk. And two, they don't even sell walkers for people anymore! They are considered dangerous. So this is a truly odd toy to let kids pretend to be bad mommies to baby horses?

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone remember the Crash Dummies toys from the early 90s? I loved those things, but until recently I never really realized how morbid it really was to construct crashes with dummies flying out the windshield, etc.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sweet Home California
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet Home California     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Surprises me that I'm the first to mention the singing toilet.

Don't know if this qualifies, but it's strangely amusing.

--------------------
I really hate one-eyed flying purple people eaters! I mean, seriously! They're all like, "I like to eat people, I'm purple, I fly and I have one eye!"-We've Got Mail!

The first game ever made using sand, water, oil, and a snail.

Posts: 176 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Class Bravo:
Anyone remember the Crash Dummies toys from the early 90s? I loved those things, but until recently I never really realized how morbid it really was to construct crashes with dummies flying out the windshield, etc.

My younger son SO wanted those when he was little. I never got them for him because I found them a bit morbid. He also liked Thomas the Tank Engine, so I steered him toward those toys. I don't think I traumatized him by doing so...at least not much. [Razz]

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While wandering through a toy store, I saw this.

Quite frankly, it sounds pretty creepy to me. I picture waking up in the middle of the night to see the doll at the foot of the bed, squeaking "Elmo knows your name," or, "Elmo knows what you did last summer."

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Elmo must hang out in Cheers. Everyone there knows your name [Smile]

Class, I could swear I saw CTD somewhere recently. I think they may have been trying to bring them back.

Sweet, this is the first time I have seen the singing toilet. It's creepy and amusing at the same time.

I didn't know what to make of Speed Stacks . Then I read:
quote:
Already part of P.E. classes in over 10,000 schools
And I watched the "championship" on ESPN the other day. The kids do this in PE? Don't they play basketball anymore? Floor hockey?

--------------------

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chillas:
While wandering through a toy store, I saw this.

Quite frankly, it sounds pretty creepy to me. I picture waking up in the middle of the night to see the doll at the foot of the bed, squeaking "Elmo knows your name," or, "Elmo knows what you did last summer."

[lol]

But yeah, when I was a kid I think it would have been creepy to have a doll that knew my name. I had Teddy Ruxpin, but he only played the cassettes I put into him. If he'd started making up phrases of his own I think I would have been very scared.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The new Elmo reminds me of "Talking Tina" from The Twilight Zone.

"My name is Talking Tina.....and I don't like you..."

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LittleDuck:
Elmo must hang out in Cheers. Everyone there knows your name [Smile]

Class, I could swear I saw CTD somewhere recently. I think they may have been trying to bring them back.

Sweet, this is the first time I have seen the singing toilet. It's creepy and amusing at the same time.

I didn't know what to make of Speed Stacks . Then I read:
quote:
Already part of P.E. classes in over 10,000 schools
And I watched the "championship" on ESPN the other day. The kids do this in PE? Don't they play basketball anymore? Floor hockey?
Yeah, I have to agree with you. I've never understood how this managed to become a sport. Sure it requires lots of practice, but so do video games.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Beach, yea, and then people turn and blame video games for childhood obesity. I guess technically stacking cups is excercise but Dance Dance Revolution (when used with the dance mat) gives more excercise.

--------------------

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Beach, yea, and then people turn and blame video games for childhood obesity. I guess technically stacking cups is excercise but Dance Dance Revolution (when used with the dance mat) gives more excercise.

Yeah, and there are other video games, one for the playstation that requires body movement and of course the Wii which are far more active than cup stacking.

Beach...used to make houses by stacking playing cards, but nobody considered that a sport...Life!

*ETA Just counting the minutes until someone jumps in with "my kids a cup stacker and it takes a lot of work, but it real good for their self esteem...'

*Edited to fix spelling error...

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Yeah, and there are other video games, one for the playstation that requires body movement and of course the Wii which are far more active than cub stacking.

Would that be bear cubs, or Chicago Cubs? Because either would be physically challenging, and good for kids' self-esteem. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the ad for that one Saturday morning while flipping channels. What exactly are "competition grade cups"?

And it is $30 for 12 plastic cups, and a cheapo digital timer. I could put the same thing together for about $2.99.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Manzanita SOL
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manzanita SOL   E-mail Manzanita SOL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was this game that came out a few years ago, and you essentially had to pick all the boogers out of a nose before time ran out. Or you had to do something and all these green plastic-covered spring like things would come out. For the life of me I can't remember what that toy was...

SweetHomeCalifornia: That toilet...is absolutely terrifying.

Cervus: I always wanted a Teddy Ruxpin when I was little...now that I'm older, I find even that a little creepy.

--------------------
Take a step outside the planet,
Then turn around and round
Take a look at where you are
It's pretty scary.
--"Turnaround" - Nirvana

Posts: 60 | From: Richmond (Glen Allen), VA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Roadie:
quote:
Yeah, and there are other video games, one for the playstation that requires body movement and of course the Wii which are far more active than cub stacking.

Would that be bear cubs, or Chicago Cubs? Because either would be physically challenging, and good for kids' self-esteem. [Big Grin]
Yeah, you gotta lay em on their sides do they stack better. And dead cubs are easier though a bit smellier and less PC than live cubs.

Beach...or so I've heard...Life!

--------------------

HollowMan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollowMan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yeah, and there are other video games, one for the playstation that requires body movement and of course the Wii which are far more active than cup stacking.

Beach...used to make houses by stacking playing cards, but nobody considered that a sport...Life!

*ETA Just counting the minutes until someone jumps in with "my kids a cup stacker and it takes a lot of work, but it real good for their self esteem...'

*Edited to fix spelling error...

Don't forget Yourself Fitness, a video game for X-Box, PC, and PS2 which is a virtual personal trainer.

--------------------
Heisenberg may have slept here.

I got an idea... an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

Posts: 291 | From: Greenville, SC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought 'Cabbage Patch Dolls' (ugly looking dolls rather than the cute ones most girls have) were a strange idea.

I never heard the 'mutant' nuclear war urban legend.

But I did hear about the 'Death Certificates' and until I read about them on 'snopes' I thought they were true.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manzanita SOL:
There was this game that came out a few years ago, and you essentially had to pick all the boogers out of a nose before time ran out. Or you had to do something and all these green plastic-covered spring like things would come out. For the life of me I can't remember what that toy was...

It was called "Gooey Louie."

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Although not necessarily "wierd," the Star Wars Transformers rather make my mind boggle.

It's like two toy icons of the 1980's hit headlong and smooshed together somehow...

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Beach, the Playstation I think you're talking about is "Eye Toy" (actually its a peripheral camera and there are several games sold for it). As for the Wii, we pre-ordered one. My arms have already started rebelling.

--------------------

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Beach, the Playstation I think you're talking about is "Eye Toy" (actually its a peripheral camera and there are several games sold for it). As for the Wii, we pre-ordered one. My arms have already started rebelling.

Yeah, that's the one. My neice and nephew have one and it can give quite the work out.

--------------------

kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 98 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cube world game cubes Little stick figures who interact. I saw these at Wal-mart yesterday and thought they were odd.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
elfbunny
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elfbunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One, there are enough horses around here that m child at 3 will already know that baby horses can walk. And two, they don't even sell walkers for people anymore! They are considered dangerous. So this is a truly odd toy to let kids pretend to be bad mommies to baby horses?
My daughter thought that was a cute toy, she loves My Little Pony.

As for the comment about bad mommies. All 3 of my kids were in walkers. That does not make me a bad mommy. Plus they do still sell them. They are only considered dangerous around stairs and when used as "babysitters".

--------------------
http://my.tupperware.com/ajd325

Posts: 78 | From: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
elfbunny, sorry! I didn't mean to call you a bad parent, and I'm sure you used your walker responsibly.

I personally haven't seen any for sale in several years and I don't know anyone with current infants who uses them. I know they are not sold at all in Canada because they are considered dangerous.

The main danger I have read about walkers is that they inable a baby to move much faster towards dangerous stuff, often faster than a parent can keep up with. And they can topple. I'm sure parents can overcome those dangers by baby'proofing the house, a lot of the things that are labeled dangerous are really fine if used with supervision.

Anyway, when I see a toy baby (horse) in a walker it looks as relevant to babies now as a toy record player or rotary phone, since my baby has never encountered any of those items. I guess that varies, if walkers are actually still common in some places.

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

kmcm, those cube things are fantastic! I haven't seen them before either. I am going to have to keep my eyes open next time I am out.

--------------------

TB Tabby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my favorites...

Invisible Jim

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

While looking for something else, I ran across these . And this .

--------------------

LittleDuck

If you can't get a real dog, get a toy with wet kisses . There are different breeds available too and they all have wet kisses. Saw it on TV today (along with the MLP in a walker, which pleased the heck out of me).

Also bought some Cube World thingys today. Turn them upside down and the little figures fall down to the "ceiling" of their cubes. They're a lot more entertaining than the Tamagotchi my brother got me years back (which died by a horrible "steppig on" accident).

--------------------

Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The pony doesn't seem too weird for me, but I'm a sucker for cute things. Plus, in terms of toys/videos, it seems that babies/kids seem to like things that are also babies. Hence, a toy that features Winnie the Pooh characters as babies, etc.

You want more weird stuff?

How about...Harry Potter's Vibrating Broom

How about the watergun that shot spooje? (Okay, okay, yellow stuff.)

Or... Living Dead Dollies! (I actually have two of them. They're a spin off from the living dead dolls collection.)

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
How about...Harry Potter's Vibrating Broom

Okay, that right there is the stuff that mind-numbingly, eye-gougingly bad slash fiction is made of.

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, the pony is a bit weird when you see it in action.

Plus, it's a lot bigger than I thought it would be. I thought it would be the size of an actual toy my little pony. The babies were especially small.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wolf333
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolf333     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about Pulsar? I had one of these, and the odd thing was that his veins were basically where his intestins should have been. The fact that you could remove his face to attach "mission discs" to his brain was just the icing on the cake.
I also had a few Big Jim action figures. They were along the lines of the original G.I. Joe, but only 8 inches tall and they had a Karate chop action when a button on their back was pushed. Later, they added "Double Trouble" Big Jim, who's face would change from normal to angry after the button was pushed. Sorry, couldn't find a link for this one.

--------------------
"We take evil really seriously"

Posts: 175 | From: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages